1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHICH RELOADER IS BEST? MEC OR PONSNESS?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Dan S., Apr 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

I just sold my PW 800+. Not that it has any issues at all. I just like to be able to quickly and painlessly switch components (including hulls) in a heartbeat. Yes you can do that with a PW if you are willing to play the learning curve. A MEC is undeniably quick and easy to changeover for varying components. PW is great for reloading the same load over and over and over. Much depends on the depth of your pockets and the time you have available and want to devote to reloading. Just remember, you can throw away 2 MEC's for the price of one PW. The extra capacity of the PW didn't really seem like such a plus when reloading in many flavors over a weekend. Long brass on field case will pull hard on the PW. I'm now using the extra money for more practice and a class from a pro. We'll see what happens. Best of luck to you. Dan

2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Just imagine all those beer cans you put out for re-cycling and how many eventually turn into MEC reloaders and you'll get the picture. Go PW!!

3. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

P/W and Mec is like comparing a Ford to a Lexus. Both are good units, it is just your definition of how good. I have owned both recently, and both make a good shell. To me, the P/W is well worth the effort to learn, and changing hulls (I only use AA once, STS or Nitro) is easy, and the bushings for shot and powder are not difficult to change. The finished crimp on my P/W is absolutely perfect, and what I was buying when I changed units.

Both get your where you are going, they just go about it slightly differently.

4. Dan S.

Dan S. TS Member

BG...I bow to your wise comparison. Well said. I'm working on the Fanuc control program for my paper clips right now. Fire up the heat treater Rog. LOL.

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

MEC is a great loader for the money. I sold mine and now use a PW. I load Federal Papers and AAs on mine on a weekly basis. I use the same primers for both and the same powder drop for both. All I change is the wad and hull. I do change back and forth from 1 oz. to 1 1/8 oz. and do not change any of the settings. Thanks to Whiz White's infinite patience I have it back in perfect running order. They are infinitely adjustable and "re-manufacture" shells that look and shoot better than some of the new factory ammunition I have purchased. There is a learning curve on these machines, but once they are properly set they work flawlessly. IMHO Bill Malcolm

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

There is absolutely no advantage to shooting a K-80 over an Rem 870. Both will do the job very well. I have shot an 870 and I have loaded with a MEC. Now, I shoot a K-80 and load with a PW. The increases costs of my current equipment does not provide me with any real advantages.

Pat Ireland

7. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Pat is right. " If you've got it, flaunt it", but they both will do a fine job. GOOD LUCK

8. dverna

dverna Active Member

Red Barron,

I personally find the PW easier to adjust than the MEC. Changing loads is not much effort at all. But I only use it for "target loads".

You really need to determine how "finicky" a machine you can live with and how many rounds a week/month you will reload.

My 9000 would not drop a primer properly 2-3 times out of a 100. If I looked for it, I could catch it before it advanced. I just got tired of having to watch it all the time. Changing out the primer system (if you can call it that) did not cure it - but then again I may have not had it set up properly. I sold it a month after getting a PW.

The MEC is a lot of machine for the money and a lot of people swear by them _ I swore at mine. The best thing you can do is try both and see what fits your needs/desires.

If money is no object, get the Spolar and be done with it. I love mine.

One good thing about the MEC (9000G); if you don't like it, you can easily sell it for about $75/100 less than you paid for it. You will lose a lot more than that if you get a high end machine and sell it. But you don't hear about many people selling their PW or Spolar to get a good 'ol MEC.

Ireland makes a good point. There may be absolutely no advantage in higher end equipment when it comes to a gun for breaking birds - except in your mind. I am too inexperienced to refute that - plus I have never shot an 870 - it may be every bit as effective as a K-80. Unfortunately, cursed with my little pea brain, the MEC 9000 caused me more grief than pleasure. So, at least for me, I perceive an advantage to the better machines. YMMV.

If you decide on a PW, contact Whiz White here on TS.com. He is a very good fellow to deal with. He sells new machines and I believe he sometimes has used machines that he has refurbished for sale.

Don

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Go with a great machine. Go for a Dillon. I've had both the others and neather compare with a Dillon. PW: you either hate them or love them. Mec: a lot of parts break, especialy the bottles.

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I guess there is no correct answer to the question. If you want to go from point A to point B you can either drive a Ford Escape or a Lincoln Navigator. Both will get you there,. It's your choice as to how much you want to spend or how important it is to have a heavy duty quality machine. MEC's are a great value for the money. A Ponsness they are not. Ed

11. oz

oz Active Member

I have both. I like the PW and use it all the time. oz

12. tategoi

tategoi TS Member

Neither one - consider a Dillon.

13. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I disagree with the philosphy that both will do a good job. The K80 will break more targets for equal ability users than a Rem. 870... it swings better to the target, absorbs more recoil and will last for generations. Same with reloaders. No reloader on the market today finishes a shell as nicely as the P/W [even the Spolar]. The P/W has its issues, but for the money it is well worth it. More shells per hour, more accurate powder drop, nicer finished shell, built like a tank, etc. Also, see Whiz White for the best deal and service on a P/W. Fred

14. dverna

dverna Active Member

Keybear,

The Spolar is working great. Dedicated to manufacturing Gold Medal reloads.

I still use the PW a lot (even got a hydraulic unit for it - but not hooked up yet) It does the AA's and STS's

I got Mary a used BT99 Saturday after she shot her best round ever with it.

Let me know if you are coming to Mason this year. It would be good to see you again and maybe shoot with you - well; singles anyway. I am still a lowly D class shooter but I have been doing better. (94 at the last ATA shoot in bad conditions - tied for second place.)

Good luck in the marathon shoot!!

Don

15. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

The best reloader seems to be the one you have at the time. I have been using a MEC 9000H for about 17 years, and counting. Has hundreds of thousands of loads through it. Will turn out as good a reload as any PW out there, and just as fast, or faster than a PW. In 17 years, I had it rebuilt once for $135.00, which included shipping. Total broken parts on it in 17 years? 2 charge bar return springs, 2 primer tray springs, and one wad guide. Total cost for parts was under $10.00. A Mec 9000H can be had for under $800.00, while a hydraulic PW will cost 3 times that much. Granted the PW is built much better than the MEC is, but, for that kind of money, it should be. Bottom line is there is no PW loader out there that will last longer than a MEC will. Yes, the MEC may need some parts now and then, but so will the PW. They are both machines inclined to wear with age and use. What you reload on is not the issue. How well it reloads, reliability, and how comfortable you are with it and how it works is the important thing. There are PW shooter, MEC shooters, Dillon shooters, Spolar shooters, etc. That's what makes the world go around. They are ALL good loaders. Pick one and get started......Just my opinion.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

16. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Might be best to put more faith in people's opinion who owned several types of machines-not just one. I actually had a customer switch from a MEC 9000G to a MEC single stage because he was too mechanically challenged by the progressive unit. Of course, there are many shooters who never owned anything but a MEC 650 and believe it's the finest machine available. You'll never go wrong with a PW 800+ but Spolar is the very best!!

17. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

red barron:

Ok I haven't relaoded much since I starterd back shooting in 2000 but I still have a 800-C P-W and it will last me the rest of my reloading years im sure and im less than 50 right now.

ok i don't have the hydrulics either just a hand pumper.

I would go with the P.W. myself I also have had most of the Mec's and also a pacific 366 .

Fog

18. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

MEC OVER 40 YEARS GREAT SERVICE.
    RAILROAD

19. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

Wow, some people's "opinions" on this website get awful biased...Tin cans used in the making of MEC's? Harsh, I'm hurt, as I myself own a MEC 650 cause it's really the only thing I can afford on my lil minimum wage job at the age of 16, but it does what it's suppose to do and that's perfectly fine with me...and I don't have any given reason to bash the PW's (except the whole price comparison thing) since I personally have never used one (nor could afford one).

-Jollytrapshooter

20. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I never cease to be amazed at the good sense Pat Ireland displays in every post on this forum.

hubcap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pw or mec reloaders