1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

which reloader for trap 12 ga

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chovyman, Feb 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chovyman

chovyman Member

its been a while but i,m getting back into trap kids college etal.

which reloader is least problems good quality of reloads ergonomics under 1k? IF POSSSIBLE

have some experience with dillon rcbs and mec would think progressive the best all input appreciated.
    thanks
    Michael

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Mec 9000G about $500 for a new one. HMB

3. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Go the 9000E. it is fun to reload with. Big group of us on the forum that have them. I just produced these as a crimp depth photo ff the press
    [​IMG]

4. Laserwizard

Laserwizard Member

Another vote for the 9000E. It's a great machine. I've put 25,000 through mine in the past year with no issues at all. If everything is clicking, you can load 10 shells per minute, but that's really hustling. 7-8 per minute is a comfortable pace.

5. chuckie68

chuckie68 Active Member

MEC 9000 --- I just bought one from "Cheaper than Dirt" (in Texas) under $500 bucks delivered and wish I would have purchased this machine 10 years ago. Great machine for the price.

6. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

Mec 9000 for sure

7. prairieviper

prairieviper Active Member

I still like my Hornady 366.

8. APrice

APrice Active Member

If you are going to be into reloading for the long term, you can: (A) buy several different brands trying to find one that works well and is a pleasure to use, or (B) spend a little more initially to get a Spolar and have a loader for your lifetime. My bet is that your total monetary outlay will be less with just buying the Spolar first.

9. tracyhunter

tracyhunter Member

+1 for the spolar,but like praireviper i like my 366.every time i go to the grand i go to the rcbs building and look at the rcbs grand,pull the handle and think ,one of these days.now thats a reloader.don't know if they make a E drive for it or not?

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Anyone needing an as new 366 in the box-purchaser didn't bond with it-I've got one. Less than 5 bxs. loaded. $375 plus shipping!!

11. gregt

gregt TS Member

+1 on the 9000E. I bought the 9000G initially and was happy with it but couldn't help but notice all the people talk about how wonderful the automate was so ended up buying it later and wished I would have had it from the beginning.

12. 1903

1903 Member

9000 or 9000e. I've had mec progressives for quite a while and had no problems with them. I decided to splurge and get the 9000E. I wish I would have gotten it a long time ago. So easy to reload. No pulling a handle, just push the buttons. Like someone else said on another thread, the powder drops are so consistant. For the price I think its the best bang for the buck out there. A suggestion would be to get the updated primer feed if the reloader don't have it. It's pretty much foolproof. John.........

13. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

9000G. Bought one in 1996 and wouldn't have anything else (Unless you bunch don't stop talking about that automate). I tried a PW 800 that a friend had and couldn't warm up to it. Maybe I didn't give it a fair chance. But I do like my MEC's.....

14. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

Find a good condition older MEC Grabber like a 76 or 762 or a Grabber. The amount of loading you plan may not merit the expense of a fancier or new one.
    A lot of guys like the 9000 but I don't because of the fact the stations are interconnceted & demand just so adjustments. An electric or hydro is great if you are older &/or load a lot,say over 3-4 thou rounds a yr. I have been using MEC for 40+ yrs,have 6 MECs,12 ga is an ancient 76H Hustler & a 20 ga Grabber that I am converting to Hydro.. Yes,I have an Automate,tried it,does not excite me. Yes the Hydro is a bit noisy,so is trapshooting. Find a good one on TS.com. Just look at the plate where the shell bases slide on. If not a lot of paint worn off,it is probably just fine. Another tell is look at the base/painted parts for paint loss & rust. Download instructions from MEC.

15. Sam Ogle

Sam Ogle Member

oleolliedawg, I've a 366 I've ran for 20+ years, and love it.
    Sorry, I don't need another one, as this one runs just fine, thank you. (As does the 28 gauge 366 I have too)

And, dang........I wish I could find a 16 gauge 366.

Sam Ogle, Lincoln, NE

16. SPACE GUN

SPACE GUN Member

9000e or 9000H I love my 9000H I have a 366 good machine. But when I reload I want fast and trouble free, the 9000H is both!

17. Catching Chrome

Catching Chrome Member

I have an old grabber 761R. I bought used for $150. I have since put atleast 8,000 rounds through it. When everything is clicking I can reload a box of 25 in less than 4 minutes. My personal best is 3:14! I was really board one night. All in all in an hour I'd say you can comfortable load 300-350.

18. deadnout

deadnout Member

i started with a 600 mec 40 yrs ago and since have had 2 grabbers. i finally gave in and bought a 9000h. man i should have bought one of a these long ago. but buy what you can afford. study them all first and see which one you would feel comfortable with and buy it i still have my 8567 grabber and it still works great. they hardly wear out-but when something does parts are cheap.

19. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

My suggestion would be to decide which end of the moniteary spectrum you really want to persue. I've pretty much exclusively loaded with Mecs since the 70's. Ex bought me my first Grabber in 85' and it loaded a ton of shells. Have had several other loaders along the way, 366,Texan, Bair, RCBS, Dillion and now a Spolar. I have wanted a Spolar for along time just because I love to reload. A friend of along time decided to sell his recently and I couldn't resist. Now mind you I still have two Grabbers, one 9000G, one 366 and probably 15 single stage presses in posession. I have to say I still love my Mecs and will most likely always have several. I did sell three G's last year however.lol

I do happen to be number two on the list that doesn't care for the automate it appears. Nothing wrong with it I suppose except I couldn't get comfortable not feeling the entire process. I know someday I will be using one or hydralics if I last.

Incidently if you want to get into a Hornady 366 reasonably I would sell the one I have for $200 plus shipping.

20. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with a 366. Mine is 39 years young and pounds out shells like it's brand new. I'd jump on pheasantmaster's offer for $200.00.

Hornaday service is fantastic to boot!

SW

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.