1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Which recoil reduction system for 870?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UpNorthMN, Mar 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Member

I want to add some weight/recoil reduction to my son's 870 tc-trap. I'm looking a the Mercury Recoil Suppressor model and Edwards Recoil reducer. Any suggestions as to which might be better?

David
  2. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Active Member

A diy piece of lead in the buttstock.
  3. Ross

Ross Active Member

As Doug B.said lead in the bolt hole will add weight and help, you can also take an empty or two and fill them with shot crimp & tape them shut & put in the magazine tube (compress the spring) to get the balance you want, I used to shoot an 870 that had an EDWARDS in it, and I liked it as for me it turned "slightly" the stock away from my face which reduced the face slap that I seem to have a problem with, kinda wish I'd never sold the Edwards unit. They do have to be set correctly for RH or LH shooters and have to be tight fit to get the best results. Actually considering getting another one. JME---Good luck--Ross Puls
  4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

David,

What are your son't height and weight?

Have you cnecked if the pitch on the stock is right for your son?

Which type of recoil bothers him the most, cheek or shoulder?

Rollin
  5. School Teacher

School Teacher Active Member

I have used both Edwards and Staub mercury recoil reducers in the butt stocks of several 870 TA/TB/TC and TC Trap guns. They are clean and easy to install. I am very satisfied with the results.

As noted above, the simple fact that you add 4 oz. or 6 oz. of weight helps. The Edwards and Staub units have some sort of internal baffle and some liquid mercury inside the unit. I don't know exactly how they work but my 870's are weighted to 8 1/2 pounds each and shoot very soft with 1 1/8 oz loads at 1125-1145 fps.

You simply remove the butt plate, insert the recoil reducer, and fill any remaining space tightly with foam rubber. I had a stock fitter install an adjustable comb on one of my 870's and he installed a small screw that keeps the unit in place. As the vacant space was very small, the compressed foam rubber always worked for me.

Ed Ward
  6. MR870

MR870 Member

I use a combat 2rd extention tube filled with washers on top of a spring.You can add or take away but it does a pretty good job and I shoot sporting clays with it.
  7. slide action

slide action Active Member

I have a dead mule that screws onto the magizine cap. It works fairly well however, there is one thing that works very well that is not used often. If you can find one of the overbored target barrels that they put on the 870 a few years back (buy one)! I have one and it makes a significent difference in the felt recoil of the gun!
  8. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I used Edwards in my 870's for years. Shot my best overall scores with them at the Grand Vandalia. I always shot federal papers then plastics 2 3/4 dram eq 7 1/2. Clyde
  9. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Active Member

10. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

Hi. I have a used Edwards Recoil Reducer for sale. $25 delivered. If anyone is interested, please send me a Private Message. Thanks, Bob
  11. 333t

333t Member

It is pretty easy to take out the magazine spring and substitute a couple of shorter springs with a 7/8" diameter steel weight in the middle. This will provide some additional weight and also reduce recoil. I have used this system for years with good results. Your gun will be a single shot however.

Phil
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.