1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which promotional ammo?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Questor, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Questor

Questor TS Member

I fully intended to reload for trap but have found it cheaper to go to Walmart and buy promotional ammo for under $5 per box, including tax. Given that state of affairs, do you happen to know which is a better ammo for trap?: Winchester, Federal, or Remington?

Actually, by my current calculations, I can buy Winchester AA trap ammo for only about 80 cents a box more than I can make comparable loads, and I'd get to keep the hulls for potential later use.

If there are good comparable deals that are available elsewhere, I'd like to know.

Finally, there is Federal Top Gun target ammo for about $5.50 a box including tax. It has the same charge weight and dram equivalent and shot size as the Walmart Federal promotional ammo. Is there a difference between the two?

Mama mia! What a topsy turvy time for the reloader!!!

Thank you!!!

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I prefer the reminton gun club at 1145 from the 16. But have been shooting the winchester and federal 4 packs they are cheaper than rem. I have shot well with all of them. The feds and winchester are a bit stout, more recoil. For fun shooting and club league I shoot cheapest shells I can find, right now thats the Remington game loads at dicks. 1oz 1290fps 7.5 bit heavy on the recoil over my prefered 1145 shells for 16. I do not shoot alot of handicap.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

All of them seem to shoot about the same for me but my gun only likes me to use Estates. That is the only discount shell that my gun will eject. So, I only use Estates when I shoot discount shells just to keep my gun happy.

Pat Ireland

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Gun club hulls are reloadable using STS hull data, and the price is still in the high $40 range per flat. Shoot them and save the hulls for reloading later. They go bang in the winter, unlike Rios which often don't. Estates would be my second choice, but I believe the hulls are not reloadable.

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Big bore, I use those shur shot at our clubs 20g night competition. Love them crushes targets and they eject out of my Chambermate. You hardly see the shurshot in 12g around here. if you do they are 6s which are not allowed at our club.

6. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Around here, (socal) the Remington Sport loads are found in many Wal-marts. They go for $19.44/4-pak.
    How can you guys get anything for less than $4/box????!!!!

7. sglfr45

sglfr45 TS Member

I really like the NobleSport 2 3/4 dram. I have them for sale for $48.00 a flat. A little cheaper if you buy a pallet. If you are interested give me a ring or email. Matt - Woodson Enterprises (270)804-5454

8. ink ball

ink ball Member

Keep in mind, you get what you pay for. Yes, you can buy promotional loads for the same or less than you can reload a good quality shell, but I don't think that they will perform as good as a STS/AA/GM or an equivalent reload. To make a cheaper shell (promo loads), they use cheaper components. Some of these may include soft shot, fast burning powders (that produce more recoil), and steel bases instead of brass bases. However, if you aren't reloading, you probably wouldn't care about the steel bases or any other hull related issues. I think for short yardage games, such as skeet and maybe even 16 yd singles, they'd probably be fine. For handicap, however, I don't know if they would perform as well as a quality reload. Years ago, I'd heard that Winchester used hard shot for everything, while some of the other manufacturers use low antimony shot for the promo loads. For that reason, I'd probably lean toward the Wichester. For me, a good part of this game is confidence. I know my reloads perform very well at all yardages. If I miss one, I know it wasn't the shell that caused it.

Gary

9. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I like the Wallyworld Federals over the Winchester Universals because they burn cleaner. Also, the shot size in the Unis is about 1 size smaller than listed. However, I will shoot either, I joust go to the 7.5s in the Unis from the 8s I buy in the Federal tubes. I haven't shot the Remingtons much because they cost more.

Also, if you know anything about manufacturing and distribution, you will appreciate that there is very little cost of components difference between the promo and premium shells. Certainly nowhere near the price spead. However, I always appreciate the guys walking to the line with the AAs and STSs as the profit margin on those shells underwrite the lower price of the promos.

As for quality, I haven't had a misfire in any of the 40,000+ rounds I have used in the last 2 years and I have won a whole bunch with them.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

My Wal-Mart still has Winchester 1oz #8s for $3.97 a box. They work great in the cold weather. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.