1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which primer now that Remington

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Border Bandit, Feb 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Thanks to tudurgs for posting the URL for Tom Armbrust's outstanding article. I'm in the midst of a dilemma because of the shortage and subsequent very high prices of Remington STS primers. ($45/1,000 at Cabela's) Shyda refuses to stock them and CAC has a "few" but are priced ridiculously higher than other brands. I load STS hulls exclusively with nearly 40 flats under the bench, for this season, and another 10,000 once fired hulls cleaned and ready to load, so I'm fairly well committed to STS. That being said, it seems, from the Armbrust article, that CCI-209 appears to be identical, performance wise, and I'm wondering if they "fit" STS hulls OK and feed well in a PW 800+. Hopefully I can simply switch to CCI-209.

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts, best....mike

2. dls guide

dls guide Member

What is wrong with Winchester 209 primers, I have loaded Win., Remington, and Federal hulls for years using Win primers with no problems. There is plenty of load data too.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Rio, Cheddite, plenty of primers out there, for now. An ammo and component shortage is expected this year. Stuff is already getting hard to find.

4. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I've reloaded thousands of STS hulls & never used a Remington primer. Federal & Winchester but never a Remington. Guess I won't miss them much.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Win 209 is all I've ever used. Majority of my hulls are Nitro-27.

Wayne

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have used Rio primers exclusively since 2003. Never one misfire in about 10 of my guns and no telling how many others, and great cold weather performance.

So they are over sized. So what? Hulls do not last forever. Use what you can find locally, and be done with it.

Primers are one-use spark plugs, nothing more. Powder is fuel. No reason to have a stroke if you have to change components.

7. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

Dear Mr. Bandit,

Seeing as there is a shortage of Remmy primers,or they are priced astronomically,I would suggest you try Cheddits.They are a good primer at a very good price.

Ozzie & I have probable shot close to 60-70K of them without any problems.Give them a try I'm sure you'll be pleased with your results.

Smoke 'em all..................

D.P.Reynolds

8. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I load Win 209 in my STS. Also CCI 109/209 is good. Not the CCI 209M,too hot. I think maybe Fed 209A also may be a bit hot for taper hulls but great for the straight wall cases. Remember that is what it was developed for.

9. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Also the shortage thing is getting way overblown. There is no shortage of Remington primes, retailers are refusing to stock them due to price. :)

10. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

I use Remington primer as well as Fiocchi 616 primers. I see no difference. Some fellow shooters have told me that if you load a hull with Fiocchi and then try to reload the same hull with a Remington; the primers can be loose. I don't know this to be the case; as I load Fiocchis mostly for sporting clays. The hulls I use have been loaded 4 or 5 times with Remington primers. I then use them for sporting clays and use the Fiocchis. Therefore I never switch back and forth. Again, I think the Fiocchis are great primers and when I run out of the Remington primers I will use the Fiocchis exclusively. Ed

11. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

At the local Farm and Home, Winchesters are $34.99/K and the Remingtons are available in the 100 pk for $5.99. Guess only the muzzleloaders are buyin' the Remingtons.

12. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Use the W209 primer in place of the STS209 in Remington hulls. Remington primers are .010" shorter than the rest to match the Remington hull primer pocket. The W209 primer has a "step" in the upper part of the primer where the diameter is reduced. It is designed this way specifically to fit into a Remington hull with zero problems. It works. Fed 209A, etc. primers that are "standard" length, but do not have the step require more pressure to seat and may result in the flange of the primer not resting against the base of the shell.

13. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I can't speak on how "hot" a primer is, but I only use Win209 primers in my Remington hulls... and have been doing so since the late 90s starting with the Premier Hulls and now the STS/Nitro...

Jay

14. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Guess when I run out of Rems. I may have to change, hopefully find a good load & price with Fed.or CCI because I want to buy made in USA if possible. Won't be Win. they gave too much trouble with duds that wouldn't fire in any gun, mine or others. More so in cold weather. Same thing with Win. factory loads had so many duds (2 different times 10 years apart--field & trap loads) that I got ticked off and sent half a dozen back to them with the boxes, they did send a note saying sorry with a voucher for 4 boxes of new shells, then nobody would take the voucher finally did get it used took the 4 boxes and traded them to another guy that was still shooting factory stuff. I think they all went off for him. Maybe Win. should put me on their payroll to go out and buy their stuff because if there is any bad stuff on the shelf I'm sure to get it.-chuckle- Ross Puls

15. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Uh, the question isn't ballistic compatibility, but fit and seating using the Ponsness Warren, which does not support the base when the primer is inserted...I have a PW 800 and have issues with the 1st reload for STS and GC's and have to use Rem 209's to be assured of no high primers. Wish it weren't so, but its the cost of using Rem hulls, particularly Gun Clubs...STS work better, but not 100% reliable with substitute primers.

WNCRob

16. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Win 209's.

Noble Sports are nearly equivalent to Winchester. I had Down Range test identical loads with both Win 209's and Noble Sports and the data came back very close. I use both.

17. leadvail

leadvail Member

I thought everybody bought win 209s. Thats whats always gone off the shelves.
    Just like clays powder and claybuster wads.

Bob

18. Laserwizard

Laserwizard Member

Just bought 6 sleeves of 5000 Win209's for $117.45 per sleeve.
    Bought from Sportsmans Den in Shelby, Ohio

Was told by my shot dealer a couple weeks ago that Remington is trying to slowly get out of the component market which is the reason for the outageous prices on their components.

19. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

LaserWiz...

damn that's a good price!

jay

20. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

I like to remain careful whenever subbing Cheddites in any load. The use of a C primer can be illustrated to push some loads into overpressure. The C primer can be seen to be as hot as, or hotter than, a Fed 209A, in some loads.

This is my opinion. I know it is not everyone's view. But the proximate data does seem to support the idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.