1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which powder meters best?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gordy h, Apr 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

I shoot RXP CB fig8 Win 209 700X 1 1/8 What powder meters the best for consistencly? The 700x drops 17.4 to 18.1, in my 9000 G, Thanks for your input.

2. RLC323

RLC323 Member

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

If you are getting that much variation I would take a look at your reloading practices. Smooth, consistent operation of the press is required for consistent powder drops. Your .7 gr variances are a lot, even for 700X and MEC powder bottles.

If your press operation is smooth and you don't get a lot of hangups, try switching to a finer grained powder. WST as mentioned above meters like water. I use it to load 45 acp using mixed brass. The differences in effort required to resize and seat primers in different brass leads to inconsistent operation of the press. Even so, WST meters so well I get the exact same throw down to a tenth of a grain.

Other powders that meter well in my Grand are e3, Clay Dot, Solo 1000 and American Select. All drop within .1 gr unless i have a hangup or something. With Green Dot and similar powders the range is .2 gr.

4. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I get perfect loads with 7625. with Mec 34 in my PW it is 26.7 every time day in and day out and I check it digitally and with a beam

6. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

7625 and PB. Sounds like your handling the machine a tad rough. Like ZZT says, smooth and easy through the entire cycle. Make sure your loader is mounted on a secure bench too!!

Hap

7. FLIP

FLIP Member

titegroup & 700x will to, check your machines bar make sure it moves all the way to the left? slowdown

8. oz

oz Active Member

clays or titewad

9. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

My vote goes to promo within the same jug drops are on the money everytime I check,the weight may change between jugs though.Jerry

10. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Tightwad. I checked 6 loads out of 500 loaded this past weekend. 3 were 17.4. 2 were 17.5. 1 was 17.3.

11. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

There is not a single thing wrong with the way that 700X meters. First, get a baffel if you do not have one already. Do not get those steel ones as they are shit.

You want the cheap red plastic baffel that has the little compression job that goes into the the part of the bar where it threads on. I have found these are by far the best.

Loading technique is also very important but very small grains like WST and Tite groupd will also tend to "pack in" if the loader is cycled in a rough fashion and you will get heavy drops.
    Shotshell powder charges are going to vary.. This is a fact of reloading. What you need to determine is why your swing is so big and I suspect it is loading technique and lack of a baffel.

700X should not vary more then 2/10 to 3/10's at the most.

It is darn fine metering powder.

In other words.. I suspect it's not the 700X. Jeff

12. Wass

Wass Member

SuperXJeff is right on about the powder baffle on a MEC. I had major problems when I was using a steel one. Switched to the cheaper red plastic one and all my problems went away.

Wass

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shotshell 700x mec metering