1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

which powder and wad

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hadjii, Feb 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hadjii

hadjii TS Member

Here's my question. What is a good powder and wad combination to load 28 guage shells in the new WAA28HS hulls? I want to load 7/8 oz of no. 9 shot. I would also like to load some hunting rounds of 1 oz of no 5 copper plated shot. Thank You in advance for your replies.

Respectfully, Gary Schoborg

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Go to Hodgdon and look up some of their loads. You will be looking at Lil Gun.

The one ouncers don't give you much of an advantage in the 28.

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Hey Coach.. You left out Ballistic Products.. First.. they make the 28 gauge wad for heavy payloads.. and provide the data.. For 1 oz. you might also consider roll crimping.. It works well.. but really.. as Coach said.. You can stop at 7/8oz.. and save some headaches.. The 1 oz. never worked well for me..

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Banned User Banned

Dear PBB

You are right about Ballistic Products. They make some esoteric stuff. They are so pricey I don't use them when I can use normally available components.

5. hadjii

hadjii TS Member

Thanks for the replies. I think for 1 oz loads, I will just stick to buying a ox of Winchester now and then. I did go to the Hodgdon website, and I think I will go with a BP SG28II wad and LiL Gun powder. My intent is to develop a good short range turkey load. I'm also looking at a Briley Extra full choke to tighten things up a bit, so we'll see what happens.

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Hoaky smokes Mr. Nixon.

(You'd have to be a long time Bob&Tom listener to understand this one.)

PBB has a lot of ballistic info inside that head of his. The time he's spent studying shells is amazing.

ec90t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.