1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

which post do you prefer to start on ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kevin a., Apr 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin a.

kevin a. Member

being new to trap shooting -

do you shooters get anal about starting at station 1, 2 , 5 etc ?
    or do most people not care where they start ?

this may be a dumb question idk.

2. lbshootin

lbshootin Active Member

I like 3 or 5......LB

3. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

#5 get the hard rights out of the way first

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I prefer to start on post 1, but I'm not anal about it either. We all have to shoot every post so I just take the post as it comes available..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Kevin, Most shooters like to start on one or the other post most of the time. They may not care as much about it in practice but on game day they will like their fav. post. break-em all. Jeff

6. RogerAckerman

RogerAckerman Member

Don't really matter to me when I'm just out to practice, But on League Night I perfer to start out on 5.Seems to get the hard one for me out of the way.

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Doesn't matter too much, gotta' shoot'em all before you're done. I guess if I have to pick one I'd pick post 1, that way I know I'll have a good squad leader.

John C. Saubak

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Post 2 if i can choose. I'll shoot whats open if its needed. Its in my head but i shoot better if i start on 2.

9. perazzi97

perazzi97 TS Member

i have always liked 4 but ill go off five too

10. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

5 to get the hard rights over with then 1 fo rthe hard lefts. Then 2,3, & 4 seem easier.

11. balance365

balance365 TS Member

I like 1, because I can set the pace and its the shortest way around, never having to walk from 5 to 1. But, lately I've shot good scores starting on 4, because you end on 2 and 3, leaving you with the easy angles so you can end on a positive. But 3 is nice because it has the narrowest angles so you can kind of work into the groove of swinging. Unless I start on 5 so I can get those pesky hard rights over with early. But then its good to start on 2 since you save the hard posts till last.

To some, you have to start on post X for what ever reason, but you end up shooting them all anyway, so to me, its not the post I start on, its the squad I am with. A good squad means a good score. Bad squad means I am more likely to shoot a bad score.

12. neofight

neofight TS Member

Oddly enough and contrary to some posts above, if given a choice, i'd go for #5. For some odd-ball reason, it's my easiest and favorite. # 2 drives me nuts.Otherwise, it really doesn't matter as we have to face them all eventually anyway.

13. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

I think 4 is best, especially for doubles. You get to see several birds before you shoot and the angles are not acute for the first shot........SMOKIT

14. jdsfarms

jdsfarms Well-Known Member

Any post but 2,I struggle the most with hard lefts on post 1 and if I'm straight when I get there it will get in my head,I like 1 or 4 shooting doubles so I only have to change directions once.Jerry

15. Big Az Al

Big Az Al Well-Known Member

I will shoot from whatever post is open when I squad. That said I will jump at post 1, if that is not open my next choice would be 5 after those I have no strong feeling.

Some sage old shooters and coaches suggest spread the wealth around because when you get into a shoot off they are going to reverse the field on you. So If you convince yourself you shoot better from five you stand a real good chance of starting the shoot off from the left side of the field, while if you like one they will move you to the right.

Hey thats a good arguement for post "3"

Al

16. JRW

JRW Member

If I get my pick it's post 1. Jerry

17. RED Z06

RED Z06 Member

If I have a choice post 2, then 4, 1, 3, and finally 5. I try to practice from all the posts, as you never know what you'll end up with.

Pat

18. chipking

chipking TS Member

I like post 1 for the same reasons I learned to like chicken wings. When I was a kid growing up, at the family reunions by the time the fried chicken got to the kids table the wings were all that was left. I found early on in trap that post 1 was a lot like a chicken wing always available and no body would fight you for it.

--- Chip King ---

19. bebloomster

bebloomster TS Member

Doesn't make much difference to me... I can miss from any of them

20. NO-WAY

NO-WAY TS Member

must shoot them all, does not matter to me where i start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.