1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

which ported chokes are best

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by big fra, Mar 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. big fra

big fra TS Member

hi,i was thinking of buying two ported chokes for my beretta ase gold sporter but which are best, i had thought maybe rhino or briely,does anyone know which hold the best pattern
    many thanks frank.

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Frank. You may not like this, but ported chokes put a lot of concussion on the shooters next to you. And we can argue the merits, but I think they are a gimmick. If you want better patterns try for better reloads.

3. pheasantmaster

pheasantmaster Well-Known Member

I cannot personally see benefits of ported tubes and have yet to see any substantiated evidence to change my feelings. As MIA states, they will get the attention of adjacent shooters. As for patterning qualities, you'll never know till after you buy and pattern. One is probably as good as another. Many that profess one brand is better than all others most likely just read an article in some mag by an individual who has never screwed said brand into a barrel!

4. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

A friend of mine bought a Comp-N-Choke for his XT, he only used Windjammer wads with his reloads. The pedals of the wads would hang up on the slots cut in the choke. It was kind of funny watching the wads fly out of his gun in all different directions. When he put it on paper, the pattern was one of the worst I'd ever seen. Wayne

5. billn

billn Member

I have two sets of Comp-n-chokes, one for Beretta 682 and one for Browning XT Invector Plus. I shoot trap, skeet, and sporting clays, never had the problems stated above. They all pattern better than most chokes and cleaning on the o/u is not a problem, just use a light coat of grease on the tubes before shooting, and spray with bore cleaner then brass brush off.

6. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I've never been able to tell the difference between any brand of chokes.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I have heard a lot of folks say they love Comp-n-chokes and they pattern nicely, but I defy anyone to prove the porting is anything more than a gimmick.

Buy them for the patterns.

Porting is a gimmick.

8. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

timb99

Are you the gimmick surgeon general?

PS - I have never seen a choke "patter".....

FRedmon

9. cottondoctor

cottondoctor Member

Everyone has an opinion and there is, I am sure, merit to all of them. I shoot fixed choked and non-ported barrels-----I do not like ported barrels – I don’t think ported chokes will create the same noise effect as ported barrels but I have not conducted replicated test with scientific instrumentation to accurately measure those effects –
    Now to the question, as I said I now shoot fixed choke barrels (because that is what the gun had when I got it) – I have used, and if I had a screw in choke barrel, or if I were to have a barrel set up for screw in chokes, I would use and recommend chokes made by Steve Baldwin of Mechanical Accuracy, Jones, OK – he can make them extended-ported, extended-non-ported or flush. Great chokes

10. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

The best would be the one that collected the least amount of crud between the slots, thus easing the cleaning process....None of them will have any positive effect whatsoever.

11. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

Voting for Comp-n-Choke.....using IM in 687SPII, great paterns and lots of smoke............

12. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Between my Krieghoff chokes and my Comp n Chokes, the Comp n Chokes win hands down!

13. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Well-Known Member

For trap Wrights makes some wonderful chokes extended no porting pattern great in my guns. You see lots of ported extended chokes in Sporting Pure Gold, Rhino, Comp n choke Seminole they have extra long parallel sections which seem to tighten the patterns some so they use light mod and mod mostly out to 50 yards and they work great.

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

<i>"...they have extra long parallel sections which tighten the patterns..."</i>

Sounds like salesman-speak for "buy MY choke tubes."

I wonder if any of the choke tube companies who claim this have actually done any pattern testing.

Teague chokes have NO parallel section, and from what I understand, they are the choke tube of choice for many sporting clays shooters.

And, if you think about it, what if you really, really extended that parallel section? Like, maybe 10" or 12". What would that do?

15. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

People that don't shoot these chokes have no reason to post.

Beyond that, the original poster was simply asking which pattern best.

16. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Compnchokes and Kick's chokes are made and sold by the same company, of coarse with a different design but same concept. I tried the Compnchokes in my Kolar and was not thrilled by the out come. I have been using a Kick's smoke choke and I am quite pleased. Go figure.

17. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

The very best ported choke tubes are the ones on sombody else's gun.. Been there, done that, got that shirt.. Dan Thome (Trap2)

18. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

None, they don't work.

19. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

The best ported barrels and ported chokes are the ones WITHOUT holes in 'em.

The holes let misses into the barrels & chokes.

Shoot well often and safely,
    Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.