1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which pick-up or suv ??

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Doug Brown, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

My dog & I spend a fair amount of time cruising around hunting, scouting, etc. My truck gets about 14mpg doing this. What vehicle gets the best mileage, must be 4x4 ? Thanks

2. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

This'll get you and dawg some great mileage...enjoy

Curt
    [​IMG]
    Sorry, couldn't resist..

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Here you go.
    [​IMG]

4. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Please consider buying one from a company that didn't stab America, and their own bondholders, in the back.

-Gary

5. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

Before you buy something, you probably would want to find out more about that Ford EcoTech truck engine. Mike

6. sernv99

sernv99 Active Member

Toyota Tacoma, either with the access cab or double cab. Comes in standard 4x4, 4x4 Sport, or 4x4 Off-Road (I would not waste money on this option unless it was a used truck). You can get a 5 or 6ft bed with the Regular or Sport, the 5 ft bed is the only option for the Off-Road model.

7. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I would tend to think any possible vehicle would have to get better than 30mpg to offset how much the new vehicle increases cost.

ss

8. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Good luck finding a 30 mpg pickup truck.

9. 6878mm

6878mm Member

LANDROVER

10. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Information is power....don't go by heresay....go to Edmunds (google search) and Consumer Reports (does not take money from paid advertisers) to get RELIABILITY and GAS MILEAGE information....

Beware the automotive magazines that hype manufacturers that pay for advertising....

11. magnumshot

magnumshot Active Member

If you really need a new truck, get a full size comfortable heavy duty model and don't
    worry about the mileage. In the long run, you will be much happier. I am very happy with my 2010 Ford F150 FX4 Supercrew. Seats fold up in the back, and my dog has a ton of room. Everything I ever needed is In this truck, except an 8 foot bed. Trading in my wifes 2001 Supercrew on an F250 4x4 with a 8 foot maybe at the end of the year. The small amount of miles per gallon cost difference is minimal comparing to a truck that might give 3 to 5 mpg better. Im a big person, as are the rest of my family. I'd rather pay a little extra and be comfortable. By the way, supercab doors are really inconvenient.

12. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Get a Chevy Avalanche. Then you can have the worst of both worlds.

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Indeed, the gays man's pickup.

-Gary

14. AEST BOSS

AEST BOSS Member

Another vote here for the 2012 Ford Powerstroke in crew cab. Agree about the Government Motors options. I refuse.

15. FrankADavisJr

FrankADavisJr Member

Check out the 2011 Ford F150 with the EcoBoost V6...supposed to be a superb motor that "relentlessly pulls like a diesel" with more hp and gas mileage than the outgoing V8.

I love Ford trucks. I drive a Lincoln, which is just a Ford with lock washers ;)

16. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Since when is a Ford 150 a heavy duty truck maginum? If it is, then what is a F250?

17. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

How big a vehicle do you need? With 2 dogs and a fair amount of gear, I use a Yukon XL. It gives bme the ability to keep the back seet deployed to accomodate human passengers as well as my dogs and all the stuff I routinely take. If you can fold the rear seat then almost any SUV will do.

18. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I share the opinion that I will not buy from GM or Chrysler due to the government bail out. I am happy with my F 350 diesel crew cab extended bed. Empty I get 16 mpg. Towing my 17,000 lb.s 5th wheel I get 10 mpg, on level ground.

19. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

I've had all kinds of trucks. Liked most of them. Right now a one man, one dog vehicle I use is the Honda CRV with 4 wheel drive. Kennel can sit in back when seats are folded forward. I specify this because of the mileage you are trying to accomplish . Mine gets an honest 25-26 mpg , higher than their sticker says. ..

If mileage wasn't a factor, a full-sized Ford 4x4 F150 would fit the bill quite nicely. 30 miles/gallon and pick-up do not fit together. Good luck in whatever you buy....

20. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

I've had two Ford Expeditions and have loved them both (2004 sitting outside right now - in the snow).

I agree with magnumshot that the price you pay in fuel mileage is greatly made up for by the comfort, power, hauling capacity, etc. gained.

I figure it costs me about $500 extra per year over some high efficiency rice rocket that hauls two bags of groceries and a Dachshund.

To that end I added an air intake and performance exhaust and got a nice jump in mileage - especially on the highway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.