1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Perazzi unsingle rib- Need experts advice

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hunting, Nov 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hunting

hunting Member

I have a Perazzi MX2000 with a 31 1/2 O/U Barrel 3 notch adjustable rib, adjustable comb.

I need advice on which unsingle to buy, I do not have an opportunity to try one on the Trap field.
    I would like to buy one of the following - is there any difference in shooting - which would suit me better and would be closer to the O/U 3 notch rib, would you recommend with choke tubes or fixed full choke.

Option 1 - 34 inch unsingle 4 notch adjustable rib - fix full choke or Perazzi Tubes?

Option 2 - 34 inch unsingle 5 notch adjustable rib - fixed full choke or Perazzi Tubes ?

I truly appreciate the experience on this site and would truly appreciate some educated help.

Thanks in advance
    FB

2. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

The closest rib height for your 2000/3 will be the MX15 unsingle. It is lower in the back than the 2000RS or the MX10RS, which both of these ribs are the same height or the MX2000 5 notch. The MX 10 top single is also higher.Hope this helps, Roy

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

MX14 for a fixed rib unsingle.. MX15 for adjustable rib unsingle.. The old step rib top single MX-8 barrel is a great matchup too..

Personally.. you're fretting the small stuff.. Whichever barrel I found..MX15/MX10/MX2000 regular or unsingle.. I'd cut seperate comb spacers for each barrel.. and just shoot.. put the lead on the target.. and be done..

I perfer a shorter stock for doubles and would split the 2 sets of barrels and build 2 seperate guns.. when money allowed..

You could share the trigger and forend.. You'll need an extra receiver and buttstock.. Problem solved.. All Good.. Mike

4. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Steve, no I did not mean that the ribs on the MX2000 and MX15 are the same height, however after reading my post it does seem that I said that. He could be better off with the MX15 as it is a 6 notch rib depending on how high he wants his unsingle to shoot. Sorry for the confusion. he could use the MX14 as Mike said also. Roy

5. hunting

hunting Member

TTT one time only
    Is there a price difference for an unsingle 4 notch vs 5 notch with chokes must be a few extra dollars?

Thanks again everyone

6. Rich Bullard Jr.

Rich Bullard Jr. Active Member

hunting,

The MX2000 RS Four Notch tends to sell for more than the MX2000 Five Notch and the MX15 Six Notch simply because the RS was made as a combo gun, therefore you can buy a O/U that matches. You would not have to adjust the comb from unsingle to over/under. If you have more questions, call me.

Rich Bullard, Jr. Cell) 1-775-742-2843

7. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

All depends on who's doing the buying.. and for what.. The guys like me that shoot approx 70/30.. have no need or interest in a rib that can go to 90/10 or higher.. People like me that don't like choketubes deduct for them.. I'm no fan of porting either..

A barrel of the proper balance and weight mean more to me.. Now.. I'm a nobody.. but speak to our ALL AMERICAN.. Rich Bullard Jr. ..he's one of us..just a better shot.. He can convey the words..but I think you'd get the jest of it.. I've seen to notch shooters visit us at the GRAND..and before they look at the price.. or the chokes..they feel the balance.

As the bird goes faster.. the balance becomes more and more important.. The best example I can give you is the early model 32" Kolar..and the newer 750 bore 32" Kolar barrel.. Night and day..

As American shooters went to longer and longer barrels.. notice how Perazzi reduced the side ribs..and increases the bore size.. Today it's no big deal to find a 1.55 kg 32" barrel.. Try that 10 years ago..

Not.. not to bore you.. but if you are shooting 1 gun.. there is a corelation between the balance of length.. You see 34/35 combos.. and 30/32" combos.. and 32/34" combos.. Ever wonder why??? Sight picture and balance as similar..

Now.. one last thing..You have a PERFECT barrel.. Why do you need a unsingle????? All Good.. Mike

8. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Need Experts Advice...Was a Perfect Start to this thread...We have them in Abundance here..And ALL with GOOD Intensions and able Knowledge. So here's what you do ... To Help you pick your Expert..Look up the Life Time Targets shot by the Experts..The one that has the Most...Has Earned...Or Better yet..
    Has Paid for his OPINION. Shoot Well..Shoot Often, Bart

9. hunting

hunting Member

Thanks Mike,

I hear what your saying, The O/U I shoot is an adjustable 3 notch 31.5, 18.7 bore weight kg 1.570 and i shoot it very well up to 24 yards , i want to create a combo and hope a 34 inch will help me at 25 plus yards on handicap which remains to be seen. Would I be better off with the unsingle 4 notch vs the 5 notch - I have an opportunity to buy each new 4 notch which has full choke fixed 34 inch,18.7 bore weight Kg 1.620, the 5 notch has number 4,6,8,10 choke perazzi factory tubes 34 inch, 18.7 bore, Weight Kg 1.610
    Appreciate your opinion
    Thanks Franco
    Sent from my ipad.

10. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

Franco, I had a MX2000(5 notch) barrel. Great barrel, but does not match up with any other O/U rib. I went with a MX10RS(4 notch) 34" unsingle barrel and later bought a MX10RS(4 notch) O/U barrel to make a set. A MX 15 unsingle barrel would be the closest match to your 3 notch barrel. I was told by Perazzi that the 3 notch barrel was meant to be an olympic barrel for bunker trap and never meant to be part of a combo set.
    Hope this helps,
    Todd

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I would get the 34" fixed full choke if I had to have a single barrel..

In my earlier day I shot alot of 34" and 35" guns.. and when I made my titanium Cole.. It sports a 36" barrel.. Yes.. it made life easier.. but as I get older..my 31.5" MX10 3 step rib..with a 1.36KG barrel that's choked .028/.038 with a .736 bore is my go to gun.. It flat out moves..

My future is not in ATA.. but eventually Bunker..so I am trying to stay with 1 gun.. If one can make a 65 meter shot with 24 gram..I'd think a 50 yard shot with 1 1/8 oz would not be a problem..

The wall you hit at 25 yards.. is fondly called "the wall".. It's unforgiving until you figure it out.. I can assure you.. it's not your gun.. You can't buy the extra 2 yards.. you've got to work at it.. It will come..

I do agree with talking only to people with alot of regestered targets.. I don't think I have 5,000 of them in my lifetime..so take everything I say with a grain of salt.. Quite a few people with a HUGE amount of regestered targets sometimes find my words either useful or humorous.. so.. it's pretty much your call.. Let me know if I can help.. All Good.. Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.