1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Perazzi O/U barrels..............

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hunter44, Jun 22, 2013.

1. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Which set of Perazzi O/U barrels would you choose to mount on an MX15 receiver to make a combo? I understand any barrel set will have to be professionally fitted but which ones would you choose? MX10, MX2000, MX14, etc.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

old mx 8 step rib barrel... myself, I have to use about a 1/8" shim between singles and doubles when switching barrels. The under barrel shoots a bit high, the top barrel shoots the same as my unsingle.

[​IMG]

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

honter44, first off, if your MX-15 is newer (6 digit serial number) chances are the new barrels will fit and only require tweaking.

Conventional wisdom says that a set of MX-8 O/U barrels with the trap rib matches the MX-15 rib height. It does. However, that doesn't mean that is the best barrel set for you.

Here are some things to think about. First, how high does your unsingle shoot? How long is it? If you have a flat shooting setup such as 60/40 and no more than 70/30, you should be able to buy a set of MX-8 trap rib barrels and use them with little adjustment.

However, if you shoot a high shooting gun you may not want that set. Your unsingle is probably 34" or 35". If you pair that with the "typical" 31.5" O/U barrels your O/U barrels will shoot to a higher POI than the unsingle. That is not what you want for doubles. So you can go with 34" O/U barrels if you can handle the weight, or you an go with higher ribbed barrels, so the O/U shoots flatter.

How much flatter you want will depend on how you shoot doubles. If you are slow to the second shot, you want a flatter shooting set of O/U barrels. You can do that by adjusting your comb down for doubles (a pain) or you can raise the bead by putting a higher stick on bead on, or using a higher rib barrel.

Here are the different Peraxxi O/U barrels listed in increasing rib height. MX-8 (flat), MX-8 Trap (matches the MX-15 rib height), MX2000/10RS, MX2000/10, MX-2005, MX2008. There are others found in Europe with different rib heights.

If I were you, I'd borrow a set of barrels from a buddy and try them at doubles. Then you can experiment with raising the bead to get it flatter shooting if needed. The only way to know is to try it.

4. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Hunter, there is no EXACT match between the MX15 single barrel and a factory O/U. You will have to shim to get the exact POI that you want anyway, so you should pick the over-under that you like the best. I think the RS is probably pretty close, though a touch taller. The MX10 is even taller. Those are both adjustable ribs with 4 notches.

PS- I think the MX8 ramp rib that ZZT mentioned about is just a touch shorter than the MX15. So you could bracket the rib height with the RS and the ramp rib, as mentioned above.

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Avaldes is correct. That's why the Mx15 was alway catalogued as a "single barrel" trap gun, even though it it shares their Ou platform. Even Perazzi wasn't able to make an ou set work and share the great extent of their POIs.

6. JGS

JGS Member

I had Dan at Giacomosportingusa fit a set of MX2000/3 O/U barrels to my MX15, and they compliment the unsingle barrel perfectly. You don't have to change anything when you swap barrels. It makes a great combo. Some fitting is required to make sure the timing of the barrels is correct. Dan does a great job. J.G.Sayle

7. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Dan Bonillas at the Perazzi room at the Grand a couple of years ago recommended MX-3 or MX-14 barrels for my MX-15. The MX-14 barrels I found dropped on with only minor fitting. I sold them later when I gave up on doubles. Regards, Ed

8. BigM-Perazzi

MX 3 won't work, MX 3 special might

9. pizza gun

pizza gun Member

Danny fit a set of 32" MX 14 to my 15 at the PA state took 1/16 out and worked the targets over pretty good.Looks promising.

10. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

I used a set of DB-81 barrels to make my MX-15 into a combo. Don't have to change the comb height changing them out. Have a set if you need them.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

11. BigM-Perazzi

Oh lord db81 never worked for me. Just saying its a crapshoot .

12. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of you who certainly know more about Perazzis than I. I really appreciate the help.

Tell me if I have this right.......If I don't mind changing the comb height for doubles, I can use nearly any O/U set of barrels? I would like to get one with a tapered & adjustable rib so that as I gain doubles experience I can change the POI if needed.

13. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

A DB81 Ou has a much higher rib than a MX15 and requires a higher stock. They're not even close. The DB81 was designed for shooters that want a more "upright" shooting posture.

14. plaw

plaw Active Member

I bought a standard mx 8 and put a keen site on it seems to work ok.