1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which one is the oversize primer?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 3dram8, Feb 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

I was given a bunch of hulls with oversize primer pockets (someone used big primers), and now the standard primers go in too easily (I can dig them back out with my fingernails). I remember some thread a while back about some imported primers that were oversize. Can anyone tell me which primer it is that is oversize? Is it Rio by chance? I'd like to load these hulls one more time (since the plastic and crimp area is still in very good condition) and then just dump them. I don't mind buying extra of the primers since I can always put them into Estates that I only load once anyway. Thanks for the help, guys! .....Rick

2. dcb_wvu

dcb_wvu Member

Rios are the largest, I believe. There have been a few threads on her discussing which sizes they all are exactly but I think a Rio is the big one that once you start, you cannot go back.

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Yup....Rio.

MK

4. seymore/82

seymore/82 Active Member

Save money by putting Cheddite primers in those shells. They are oversized primers. Cheddites are $110 to $115 for 5k compared to $150 to $165 for Win.-Rem-Fed. Have used them for years.

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Rio's and Nobel Sports Primers are the same size. They are not only oversize compared to U.S. made Primers, they are out of round as well.

Make sure they are fully seated into the hull...

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

7. DanLee

DanLee Member

In my experience the "oversize" primers are Rio, Fiocchi, and NobelSport. The more-or-less interchangeable primers for size are Cheddite, Wolf, and all American brands.

Dan

8. Wthomas

Wthomas Member

Ditto on the Wolf as being the same as US brands.

9. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Wow! A chart with dimensions! Thanks rjh! What a website! .....Rick

10. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Fiocchi made a 616 and a 615. Can't remember which is which, but one is the same as other domestic primers and one is larger. Don't know about Rios, but Nobel Sports are larger and Cheddites are the same as WW209.

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/mobuzz/?action=view&current=Primers3004.jpg" target="_blank"> Primers3004.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/mobuzz/?action=view&current=Primers3005.jpg" target="_blank"> Primers3005.jpg </a>

11. JDRRO

JDRRO TS Member

I've been using Fiocchi 616 two years now (20,000+ and have ran winshester
    I've pull out of my misloads from the past and had no problems. i beleive the 615 are the larger ones. Notice no differance between Winchester,Remington and Fiocchi primers except for the price.

Jim DeRousse

12. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

I think the Fiocchi 616 ones were the oversize ones. Also Cheddites and Winchesters are the same size at the base, but the top is basically tapered (stepped) on the Winchesters but straight on the Cheddites. So they do fit the same but the Winchesters start in easier since they are smaller at the top.

Nobels are bigger and others will fall out after you put in a Nobel. I have never used Rio's but have heard they are large.

13. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

Fiocchi 615 is the fat one. Bill

14. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

3dram8; Iuse rio all the time on light loads for better powder burn.If you deprime and resize the hull with a mec supersizer rem and wins will then fit well.The rio is a little on the hot side. I and 3 friends have used them for years probably about 50000 with all good results,

15. rdf59

rdf59 Member

If you have large primer pockets you can use Nobelsport 209's in them. They load the same as Win 209's but they are bigger.

16. Rebel Sympathy

Rebel Sympathy Well-Known Member

This reads like a "which is the best spark plug" debate.
    Mike

17. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

frostyman, you're wrong about the taper of the Win.209 vs the Ch209. If you look closely at the Ched. in the pics.(brass colored) you'll see the 3 steps just the same as the Win. The only diffenence is one is slightly longer than the other. In any case, the taper can't hide from the mic.

Buz

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/mobuzz/?action=view&current=Primers3003.jpg" target="_blank"> Primers3003.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/mobuzz/?action=view&current=Primers3006.jpg" target="_blank"> Primers3006.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/mobuzz/?action=view&current=Primers3004.jpg" target="_blank"> Primers3004.jpg </a>

<a href="http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/mobuzz/?action=view&current=Primers3005.jpg" target="_blank"> Primers3005.jpg </a>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.