1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which New T V???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by trapshooterjoe7, Jul 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

My 10 yr old RCA bigscreen is breaking down, the picture is all curvey and the color is wrong. So what is the best flat screen 36" for the money right now?

Thanks for any info. Joe

2. Fox32

Fox32 Member

Joe, You have two primary formats. LED or LCD. Both are GREAT pictures. LED is a tad more expensive and worth it (IMHO) so just look at brands and pricing after that. Any major brand should be OK. Samsung would be the best, just shop around for what you think is best. I would suggest that you look at the 50" models as bigger is better. 36" is very small in todays standards unless it is going in a bedroom or other small confined room. Have fun!!!

3. missemucho

missemucho Member

Parkerguy forgot an important option: plasma.
    Check Amazon; just bought a 50" Samsung plasma for $675 with no shipping and no sales tax. Amazing picture even though it's a 720 set rather than 1080. Trust me, if you've been watching a 10 year old set you'll be amazed!
    John

4. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Go to a place where there are lots of tv's all showing the same picture. That will give some idea of the image quality. All flat panel tv's are at least 720p resolution and some are 1080p. Go for 1080 native resolution for the best in Hi Definition.

Eric

5. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a techno geek and know little about them, but my brother in law recently bought a Panasonic flat screen TV (I would guess about 38" to 40") and the picture is really great on it.

Easystreet

6. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

Just went thru this a while back. I have a really hard time with electronics and making a decision. The final decision was the Sam's Club extended warranty and the Vizio's that we have watched for several years in different hotels.

7. Mikr101

Mikr101 Member

Joe,
    go to this site http://reviews.cnet.com/best-high-definition-tvs , it has the top 10 HDTV's rated in order and was just complted in June, 2010. Also, this site http://www.avsforum.com has all you will ever need concernding TV's and home theater.

8. Fox32

Fox32 Member

John, You are correct, I left out the plasma. A great picture as well and MUCH cheaper. There is a local appliance shop that has Plasma LG 60" 1020p for $1,199.00 THAT IS SUPER CHEAP!!! You should be able to get a 50" name brand plasma 1080p for around $800-$900 max. You will be amazed, GO BIG and not a 36". Let us know what you buy!!!!

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I bought the 52 Vizio Plasma and contrary to what popular opinion is I like it a lot. Also have 42 samsung lcd, both are great but if doing it again I would consider price a big factor because they are all great

10. trapshooterjoe7

trapshooterjoe7 Member

Guys, thanks for all the info,i just have not shopped for a TV in 10 years.Joe

11. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

I think plasma will degrade faster than led or lcd. Plasma is a process with gas added. It was once called gas plasma but the gas is now left out because it is negative. Gas leaks and/or degrades over time. After saying that - why buy a TV expecting more than 5 to 7 years service. Technology is changing so fast the life of the unit is unimportant so long as it is acceptable In 5 to 7 years we will likely have another technology all together that will be much better and less expensive.

12. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

Don`t know what your budget is, but the price of Plasma sets has come down considerably over the last few years. Panasonic is the king of Plasma, but Samsung and LG are good too. You can buy a 42" 720P set for $450-500, and a 50" 720P set for $650-700.

1080P is really not necessary in these size sets. Plasma picture is superior to LCD or LED in my opinion.

There is lots of info at AVSforum.com and also Hometheaterforum.com.

Magnavox, Sylvania,RCA and similar brands that were the sets to buy back in the 60`s are Junk today.

Regards, Pete

13. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

There are also some DLP TVs still floating around at bargain prices. Buying one a few years ago was one of my larger blunders. Damn bulb is $175 and I'm on bulb #5. Last Fall I picked up a 40" Sony LCD.... wow, what a difference. I'm sold on LCDs. When the next bulb goes in my 46" DLP I'm going to buy a 60"+ LCD. When I researched all of this stuff, it seemed that the better sets were/are Sony & Mitsubishi.

14. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I wouldn't buy a Sony. Have a 50" Sony Bravia TV bought in 2006. Sony was forced into a recall on this TV for bad light engines but neglected to notify TV owners. When mine went out, happened to look on the Sony website and saw the recall. Part alone would have been $600+. Now TV is done again after a lamp replacement and other issues. Only had 7 service calls on it. A Samsung will probably be my next TV.

DoubleAuto

15. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Why a 36 inch? WHy not 40, 42 or 46? The new measurements (wide screen 16x9)are different than the tube tv measurements (rectangle 4x3).

I recommend that you measure the space where it is going, and go with the widest outer dimension of a TV that you can. FOr example, a 42" tv is often 39 or 40' long. Often you hear "I should have gotten bigger" and very rarely do you hear "I should have gotten a smaller tv."

BTW, any current generation Plasma (600mhz) or LCD (120mhz) is better than what you had, and to our eyes there is no difference between 720 or 1080. Stick with the name brands (Sony, Sansung, Panasonic, Visio, Sharp) and avoid the 2nd tier (LG, Magnavox, RCA, etc). What you save is not much over 5 or 10 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.