1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which microwave oven to buy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by leftex, Sep 20, 2013.

1. leftex

leftex Active Member

Our approximately eight year old Panasonic microwave gave it up yesterday. I need recommendations for a replacement. What new features have come along in the last few years? The wife says we will get a new one tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I don't know about new features and all that but we have GE Spacemaker that is still going strong since being installed in 1995. If I had to buy a new one tomorrow, I would look at the GE's first because of how well this one has performed and lasted. We haven't even had to change the light bulbs if you can believe that.
    [​IMG]

3. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

When my 23 year old Amana built-in died ... I tried to find another one just like it ... no luck.

I called a friend that does appliance repair, and when I told him how old it was all he did was laugh!

He said that microwaves are now considered disposable. If it is more than 3 years old, there will be no parts available. He said there are very few parts for them because they are only repaired under warranty.

It costs more in parts and labor to repair one, than to buy a new one!

His advice was to find one that would fit in the "hole" with some space around it so that it can "breath", and not burn up.

I found a Magic Chef that I am happy with.

4. gunut54

gunut54 TS Member

check the fuse..ours is 30 years old and it quit working about 10 years ago....opened it up for the hell of it...and found out it was just a burnt out fuse....replaced the fuse and its still working today..

5. leftex

leftex Active Member

I see no mention of a fuse in the manual, however I will take the cover off and have a look.
    Thanks

6. leftex

leftex Active Member

Fuse is good. 123 vac to the circuit board, so still looking for recommendations for a new microwave oven.

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

About the fuse.....I replaced a Chemical fuse on one of our microwaves to restore operation. The common tests for fuses don't work on these damn things. They are filled with powder, don't ask me how they work.

I would examine the machine carefully and if you find one replace it.

As far as a new one, My son gave us a Panasonic for Christmas 2 years ago, and it is a powerhouse with a very nifty defrost function. We have to reduce the power shown on some food instructions because it's so stout.

I like it a lot. However the Panasonic we had before that went up in smoke one day for no apparent reason.

HM

8. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

We bought a JC Penney (made by Panasonic) microwave/convection/broiler combo in 1984 and the damn thing refuses to die. I'd for sure buy another Panasonic unit. You're looking at north of $500 to buy one of their high end models now...but I'd pay it anyway.

Ron Burr

9. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

I got news for you guys. Most of the microwaves out there are made by Sharp and rebranded. Our Viking micro is made by sharp. Sharp is the leader in microwave manufacturing.

10. leftex

leftex Active Member

Looks like an IC on one of the boards sprung a leak and let all the smoke out. Apparently we will have a new Panasonic microwave tomorrow. Thanks for all your input.
    Wayne

11. Snidely54

Snidely54 Member

WTF! What microwave to buy? I thought this was a site for trapshooting!

12. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Hey come on Snidely54 the guys is just asking what other trap shooters would go out and buy if they needed to buy a new microwave. I don't see a problem with that ......... after all we are all friends on here and it help some time to ask others. I can tell you that I have even ask about stuff on here before that wasn't anything to do with trap shooting and I got some good info and even save me money in the long run.

Remember we are all trap shooters and friends on here.

13. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I took one to the dump yesterday that was still working, sort of. they get so weak when the get old that they are worthless. Get one that you like the looks of. You will be amazed how much quicker the new ones heat stuff up. Bill

14. wpairishshot

wpairishshot Member

2-3 years ago, our small countertop model died and I went looking for a new one. I went to a Sears Outlet near me (scratch n dent) and found a Maytag stainless steel model for over the stove with a bottom light and exhaust fan for about half the price of new. It was definitely worth the trip, cant tell what you will find and how much it will be discounted. I do agree with Panasonic too, a knowledgeable friend told me once that they (matsushita corp) had about the best technology available today. Good Luck!

15. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Hey 54...this is the "OFF TOPIC" section.....set aside for off topic threads....????

16. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

I would not recommend a Whirlpool. We had a built in put into the new house three years ago. It has been back to the shop once and it's out again. I have a Litton in my garage we moved out of the old house, it's still working. I believe we bought it 1983.

Ajax

17. leftex

leftex Active Member

Got a new Panasonic. Fits the "hole" better than the prevous one. Mama is happy.

18. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

get the cheapest you can that fills your space req...they are throwaway items now..the internal electronic components are pretty much the same internally because they are made by just a few supplier companies