1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which manufacturers have not had a gun blow up?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joe kuhn, Sep 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

I've not heard of a DeVault, Bowen or Kolar blowing up. What other manufacturers can be added to the list?

These are the people we should be listening to and purchasing from. Even their used guns look compelling in light of recent events.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Seitz, Alfermann, Fabbri, Ljutic, Perazzi

3. Golden Beebe

Golden Beebe TS Member

Cole and Sietz come to mind.

Perhaps looking into specific models? I've never herd of a 90T (I know Kolor) or a 3200 letting go.

I here Gamo has a shotgun out that ought to be pretty safe....

4. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

This is an overly simplistic question that makes very little sense.

1) You can't compare companies that sell 1000 guns per year to those that sell 20,000 or more.

2) Contrary to this forum, we don't know of ALL blow ups from ALL mfg to accurately compare the failure RATE (notice I said RATE, NOT COUNT).

I can keep going, but the two points above pretty much discredit this discussion on the spot. I support discussing issues such as these, but trashing brands based on 2nd grade methodology is absurd.

5. andybull

andybull Active Member

I thought the same thing about a Ljutic. You have to consider not only the quality of the product, but also the number of guns manufactured by the specific manufacturer. I would think it's the law of average as well, the more guns built, the larger the chance to have either a lemon, or an overcharged load by one of the many gun owners.

6. rhymeswithorange

rhymeswithorange Member

Joe, are you trying to sell your Mach One?

7. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

In the entire world, there are 3500 Model 90-T guns. Even that number is large compared to some of the specialty trap gun manufacturers that have been mentioned.

There are over one MILLION Browning Citories. There are over 2 million model 12's. Makes it difficult to get an apples-to-apples type comparison.

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

You raise an interesting question. Considering the large amount of reloads one would assume there would be a number of double charges and every manufacturer would receive their share. It is surprising that we are seeing only certain gun makers having a problem. The real question is why the cluster of failure around one or two makers? Could it be that some guns are stronger than others?

Tom

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The number of guns does not have as much to do with it as the number of rounds shot per gun.

Jillions of 1100's and most of them sit in closets, belonging to occasional hunters all over the US.

It is probably not possible to get meaningful data.

HM

10. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

This is a crap question. Go ask the gun makers and see if they will share there law suits with you. You have to go to the source to even get a inkling of resonable information.

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

Joe,

Bowen was not able to blow up the H&R - but who the heck wants to shoot that!

Someday, someone is going to get hurt very badly or killed. An attorney will get a _____ (fill in the blank) and do the tests Bowen did in an attempt to destroy the gun with a "bad" reload. That gun had better blow up; or the manufacturer will NOT be able to say it was solely caused by a faulty reload.

Undoubtedly, some guns are going to be stronger than others. They will take more abuse and be safer. But as stated above, we need to know the failure rates, not the number of failures. You see fewer Hummers stranded on the side of the road because there are fewer in service - not because they are more reliable.

Before I get flamed, I AM NOT saying that we can be careless. I load well under the max and DO NOT substitute components. If my gun comes apart, it will not be because of a pet recipe I have concocted. And I shoot a K-80 with reloads, so it may just be a matter of time until it happens to me - LOL.

Don Verna

12. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Gun metals have a few enemy's, rust, excess heat, excess stress and the idiot factor. Guns biggest enemy is politicians. Water is about the only common matter I know of that can't be totally destroyed?

I'm more concerned with stress cracks being a, hidden to the eye, possible factor than commonly thought of also. Hap

13. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

I'm only aware of three that have had zero blowups--Win Mod 12 and 21 and Silver Seitz, and I understand Cole guns. I'm talking of just chamber failings. You can damage any gun with bbl obstuctions. Phil S.

14. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Banned Supporting Vendor

I've never heard of a Ruger blowing up.

15. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Forget the Rem. 3200 never blowing up. John Allen has one with both sides completely missing. He also has a few month old when it blew, Perazzi MX-8 O/U thats alot uglier then the CG gun. The owner claimed it was a factory round that caused the damage, but H.P. White labs proved his claim was inaccurate.

16. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

I believe ANY monoblock gun with soldered barrel sleeves is not nearly as strong as a gun without that feature. I.e Mod 12 Win. Just good threaded barrel sleeves with lots of strong 4130 BARREL STEEL THAT CAN REALLY TAKE IT! PHIL S.

17. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

I personally know of two Perazzi blowups. I was coaching a shooter when he blew up a TMX.

Best one ever was when a fellow shooter blew up his TM-1 midway through a 200 target event. Walked off the line and begged his buddies for a loaner. After much debate, one of his friends loaned him his backup K-80. He finished the event 200 straight. Now that's gutsy!!

18. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

I saw a Perazzi blow and cut the shooters arm and I saw a model 12 action blow open and put hot gas accross a left handed shooters face. Not pleasant. I'm sure they were both older guns with 1000's of rounds shot thru them. Glenn

19. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

There have undoubtedly been more shooters killed or seriously injured in car wrecks going to or from the gun range than AT the gun range. Therefore, when you get to the range, you should breathe a sigh of relief because the first half of the dangerous trip is over. Now you only have to worry about the trip home....... and how many targets you are going to miss that day. :)

Easystreet

20. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

IKEY - that was funny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gun manufactuers blows up in