1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which loads are 8000 psi or less?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

An expert in old guns suggested to me that I should use shells that develop 8000 psi or less in my vintage SBT. Remington would not tell me their internal psi data even though I had bought a case of their shells.

Anyone know which 12 gauge Remington Gun Club loads are 8000 psi or less?

Thank you

Lou

2. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

I would be shocked if any of the "economy" shells are low pressure shells! I would even be surprised if any American factory target loads are low pressure except maybe the super light Fed papers or one of the so called subsonic (1090 fps) loads! Neil may be able to help you! Tom Rhoads

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Ballistic Products sells factory shells.. made in England that are under 8000 psi for use in fine old doubles..and they provide data for you to load your own.. I use 15.5 grains of Red Dot/Promo with card wads and 7/8oz of shot.. in any hull.. Around 6800 psi.. I'm assuming 12 gauge.,. This load works well in 2.5" shells too.. and 2.25" with roll crimp..

4. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Lou, Winchester makes a 1 oz very low recoil load that probably is. But that Baker is built like a bank vault. Whoever gave you that info in my opinion gave you bad info. I do my own reloading and shoot 1 oz with 16.4 grains of red dot. Low recoil and breaks birds just fine. Some of the old timers say not to shoot smokeless powders out of the Ithaca Flues guns this also has proven to be a lie. All Ithaca SBT's were made for smokeless powders acording to Conley's book. He also says Bakers were one of if not the finest built SBT.
    Baker was the only co. to offer a complete refund if gun was returned for any reason. Bill

5. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Mr. Grill:

Lou asked about low(er) pressure shells and your post is all about low _recoil_.

I have no information about the chamber pressures generated by factory shells but anything that would qualify as a low pressure load would be inconsistent with the reliable cycling of jamamatics. This would be particularly true in one ounce shells.

sissy

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

Sissy, Sorry I guess I missed the boat there. Also my friends call me Bill. Bill

7. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

IIRC, Federal came out with a low pressure load within the last year or two, designed for older guns. Really, if you want loads in the 5000 to 8000 psi range, you're better off loading your own. Alliant has a 7/8 oz load with Winchester components and American Select, 1200 fps @ 6200 psi. On Hodgdon's website there are 7/8 oz loads with Winchester AA Lite powder that range from 1050 fps @ 5500 psi to 1150 fps @ 7700 psi. There are some low pressure 1 oz and 1 1/8 oz loads with that powder too.

~Michael

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Can't say for Gun Club shells.

I think the factory Winchester Featherlite Low Noise, Low Recoil shells are very low pressure. 5600 psi if I recall.

26 grams of shot (about 15/16 ounce) and 980 fps muzzle velocity.

But they break targets just fine.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

All of this is fine.. But if I really needed low pressure loads.. I'd use ONLY published data.. Ballistic products has a small pamphlet with about 8 pages of loading data..for everything from 2" to 2 3/4" 12 gauge hulls.. for some of the older English doubles with low proof marks.. If nothing else.. its a world of information and well worth the $2.00 I think they charge for it..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

8000 psi shotgun shells

reloads compared to factory target loads 12ga psi

remington gun club target loads pressures