1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which loader to purchase

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by maclellan1911, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

OK I have few loaders at my finger tips. I would like to up grade, just not sure if this is up gradeing?

Lets start with what I have MEC 650 works fine not crazy about the not able to resize. 9000g older unit kinda worn, I dont like the fact that I cant get a wad into the wad quide with out some manipulation. I dont have that issue with the 650. Is not much faster than 650. 9000g does have the larger primer feed and bottles

OK what is at my finger tips
    RCBS GRAND 12g New in box never used. newer/older production unknown. 400.00
    dillon 900 used about 10,000shells 600.00
    older PW 350.00< not a big fan of this one. looks rough and was not set up to see it function. The dillon was still on bench and cranking out shells. The RCBS well its in the box. I have no exsperience at all with RCBS nor do I know any who do? I like to load min 1000k in one sitting. A easier stroking handle is a plus.

2. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Buy the RCBS. Good customer relations. If you have trouble they will help you. AND you know what your getting; it's brand new. (However loading 1000 at a sitting is a stretch for the RCBS). Then the Dillon might be a consideration. JMHO. Ed

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Stay with what you have. You can get rid of the wad problem with the 9000G, you just have to make a simple adjustment to the wad holder and drop tube. HMB

4. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

5. jsa3107

jsa3107 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Spolar......... Nothing comes close

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

Many fine presses mentioned above. The top of the line is either Spoler or PW. I have used a Dillon, but I believe it is a step down from the top of the line. I recommend you get the press you like. Presses are about half functional machines and half toys we like to play with. Not everyone likes to play with the same toys.

Pat Ireland

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

The key word with Mec is ADJUSTMENT . Remember that well as you will know it well . The only question is do you like reloading or adjusting ??

8. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

mac, when I decided to upgrade form by Pacific/Hornady 366 I did a lot of research. The only thing I didn't try was the Spolar. No biggie. many problems reported on these threads, and not so good customer support. Any spare parts cost you.

I thought I wanted a PW, but using one at a shoot disabused me of that idea. I finally decided on the RCBS Grand and must say I've been delighted. I bought on of the first ones, and they had some teething problems. Everything now works as you would want, and I have no problems. The only thing I can say about their customer service is TERRIFIC. They are quite helpful. ALL parts are free. In fact, I think they go overboard. I called about a broken wad guide (the old kind). They sent the new, improved version (that has not broken a single finger in 10,000 rounds) and told me they had improved several other parts and were sending them along as well. They the customer service rep said, you know, there is a possibility you'll have problems with this, so I'm going to send you a couple just in case. I love the press and the support.

The Grand just plain works. Once I got it set up the way I wanted, i never have to change a thing. I load STS hulls for regular trap and Gold Medal hulls for bunker. Absolutely no changes.

I own a Dillon reloader for 45ACp, but not for shotshells. I have two friends who own the SL900 w/Case feeder, and they like them a lot. However, they are constantly tinkering with them. They are faster, but fussy. I don't want to piss any TS.comers off, but the Grand is sooooo much better than the MEC and Pacific/Hornady I used to use, it's worth twice what I paid for it. BTW, $400 for a new Grand is a STEAL. Hop on it. If you decide you don't like it, you can sell it for more than you paid for it.

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Mac, You already have the loader you need. Mec 9000g. Sounds like you have already got the new upgraded priber feed. Just get Mec or a dealer to send you out the parts you need to fix the wad guide and at the same time have them ship you the new electric Auto-mate. You will have no problem cranking out 1000 shells at a time. When your old one wears out there are plenty of used ones on here or buy a new one from your local dealer. Remember when Rem. STS machines wear out like Win. AA's did they will more than likely be switching to the two piece hulls as well. Who knows how long thiers have left??? With a Mec it will not matter as they load them 2 piece hulls fine. I guess its like Pat said what machine you like to play with (or toy). Or maybe just how much longer you plan on shooting or reloading. Good Luck hope I gave you something to think about. Break-em all. Jeff

10. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

9000 price????? If it's a good price I'd buy it...GOOD LUCK ps. Sounds like you want the Grand though..

11. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I called mec about the wad quide, short answer. I used the stiched remington wads. You just cant get enough space between the wad guide and tube. The best me and mec could do was. Tubes sits just ander the 5th mark. Any higher and I do not get a proper wad seat. Wad guide is set a bit lower in the wad clamp. any lower it spits shot out on the up stroke. Any tips or pics would be great. Also I found that the actuator rod running inside the colum was bent. I have loaded 5000 rounds on this unit since I rehab it. works great except for the wad issue. The auto mate has me thinking

12. rebelace

rebelace TS Member

ihave a rcbs grand love it better than any mec for the money if it aint new they will upgrade for free and replace any broken part for free love mine

13. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

I put the D type shovel handle on an older Grabber to try, and now I like it better that the 9000. The 9000 may be a little faster, but the shovel handle sure makes it easier on the hand if you are going to load long time MAC. I have an Automate sitting waiting to be put together but I have been busy getting some guns ready for a show. I put another 650 up on auction today. I usually leave my wad finger just barely above the hull so I have lots of room to slide on almost any wad except the 7/8 oz wads. Let me know if you want any pics, Mac. Omaha

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Any press will require some setting and fiddling. Those who say they don't are full of horse apples. Pat is, as usual, right on the money.

Set your Mec press right, and when you change components, you may have to make minor adjustments. See above pic for wad clearance.

The vaunted case feeder on the Dillon holds very few hulls. As a former Dillon distributor, I can say they make two great progressive presses, the 650 and the fantastic 1050. My $1500 1050 requires periodic minor adjustments while in use.

15. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Shooting Coach: I noticed on my MEC 650 that that drop tube would creep down while reloading (every 250 shells or so) and trying to load with the original Rem. Figure 8 wads (full circle posts) made it difficult to insert the wad due to clearance. I corrected this by the use of small hose clamps to stop the down migration of the drop tube. Your filing of the wad fingers is a good idea. In my opinion the 650 is, dollar for dollar hard to beat. Darrell

16. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

I wouldn't trade my Federal for any of the above. Several hundred thousand per hour and it even works while I sleep.

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Dillon, hands down.

18. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I started with a MEC 700 VersaMec single-stage loader in the mid-1970s and eventually graduated to a Grabber. Then in the mid-1990s, my shoulder arthritis was making my MEC painful to use due to the angle of the handle and the effort required to cycle it, so I bought a P-W 900 Elite Grand. I just didn't like it and replaced it with a 9000G and used an aftermarket handle that I modified to make it more comfortable to use.

Then the RCBS Grand came out and I bought one of the first ones. Yes, there were teething pains but the support staff at RCBS was as wonderful with the Grand as they always have been and continue to be with their metallic reloading equipment. It is a great machine and I'd still be happily using mine if my arthritis didn't make even the Grand's butter-smooth operation painful.

About that time, the AutoMate came along and I got an AutoMate II test unit from ATS along with a new 9000GN to use on it. I liked both units so well that I sent Jim Benn a check instead of returning his equipment and I consider that my last shotshell reloading equipment purchase.

You really cannot beat a MEC for the money and contrary to some who have posted to this thread, I do far less adjusting on my 9000GN. I load three recipes on it and do nothing adjustment-wise but move the shot drop tube one notch when changing between one-ounce and 1-1/8 ounce loads. If anything, I've found that MECs have more "give" than loaders made of cast and machined parts and therefor are more forgiving about adjustments.

Shooting Coach has the right idea with his wad guide modification. I did mine in a similar fashion - less "dip" and a wider cut - and TGT-12S wads slide right in. I understand that MEC has a "low-profile" guide for those cases but mine's working well so I haven't looked into a replacement.

Ed

19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Spolar is without a doubt the best. Dillon is 2nd and a lot less money. I have a PW Platinum 2000 and I like it but I do think I would buy a dillon if I were again buying. I will never wear this one out so?? I think if PW would make a better primer tray and primer insert thay would be right up there with the best. The primer mechanism is hokey at best not to mention the bakelite powder base

20. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have over 35 yr.s w/ 2 PW's. The first one was not worn out. If I were to buy anything else, it would be a Spolar. Try Dave's Trading Post in Pekin,Illinois, he has a used one. If you ever expect to shoot an auto or a pump with a tight chamber, you will want full length resizing and head flattening. (PW & Spolar)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.