1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Leupold to buy?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I have a friend that is headed to Montana in about three weeks and is taking a Browning X bolt 300 Win Mag and asked me to order a scope for him. His guide said he would be shooting up to 1000 yards and to call Leupold for their recommendations. Which I did and they recommended a VX-L 4.5 x 14 x 50MM Boone and Crockett. What is your opinion and what factory ammo would you recommend? Thanks for your repsonses. Jackie B.

2. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Shooting WHAT at 1000 yards? Gimme a break.......

Ken Rucker

3. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

If his guide said he'd be shooting up to 1,000 yards, I would reccommend he get another guide. Anything over ~ 300 yards is foolhardy and highly questionable ethically for any but the most experienced rifle shooter. A good 3-9 or 3.5-10 is plenty and 40 mm is big enough on the objective IMHO.

BTW, if he us leaving in three weeks how many rounds is he going to shoot at >300 yards before he hits the mountains. How does he know where the rifle ACTUALLY shoots at these distances if he hasn't fired it at those distances. How good is he at doping the wind across canyons, uphill, down hill?

YMMV.

HBT

4. art g

art g Member

I would book a different "Guide" immediately....

5. marotta

marotta Member

1000 yards? You would need to arc your rifle quite a bit to hit the mark, or procure yourself a 50 cal. or maybe a Howitzer.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Regardless, that is a very good scope however I prefer to stay with a round objective rather than the "cut-out" ones because lens shades are available for the normal ones. If you have a shot present itself with the sun off to your side a little, a short shade can make a difference.

I have several 4.5-14x-40mm VX-3s with adjustable objectives and they are very sharp and clear and seem to transfer more light than even lesser Leupolds. One has the B&C reticle and I honestly don't know if I would rather just learn the cartridge's trajectory and use a standard reticle.

Ed

7. abcd

abcd Member

1000 yard shots are common place today,with a balistic chart, good equipment an lots of practice , check out the 1000 yard benchrest club stats , 3-4-5 in groups are common ,I use the 14 power for long range , took a pa black bear last year 732 yards , its simple

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Personally, I thought the 1000 yards was more than a stretch. Five hundred yards is more realistic for a maximum long range shots using a bipod. I've never seen anyone that could consistently shoot over 300 yards freehand. I personally hunt power lines and often shoot up to 350 yards with a 7Mag from a very stable tower with good results. The ammo part is kinda rough too as we are having trouble getting most ammo brands. I prefer Hornady ammo but can't even get it in the magnum load. I would sure want to shoot several boxes to make sure everything is right. We have several ranges at different hunting clubs that have up to 400 yard ranges so finding a place to shoot is no problem. The varmint hunters have made the long range shooting popular around here. Jackie B.

9. skeezix

skeezix Member

I agree with the 1000 yd is to far crowd. If you have to shoot that far you need either a leupy MK IV with turrets and a long time to dial it in. OR if you really want to have fun, look at the NightForce scopes. I have a good frend who has a 1000 yd rifle built up on a .338 edge and nightforce scope platform - it is amazing. He also took a class in long range shooting. After 2 years he feels ok out to about 650 - 700 yds. A lot of work goes into develping ammo that shoots well with the gun, develping drop tables, developing wind tables, etc, etc etc.

I think for a .300 win mag a 3-9 x 40 VXII or VX III is hard to beat - but it isn't more tnan a 400 yd +/- setup. I have a 3-9 vxII on a .300 win mag. model 70. Under ideal circumstance, no wind, range finder, good rest, and a dead still target, I might take a 500 yd shot - but it would have to be perfect conditions. I have yet to shoot an antelope beyond 170 yds, nor have I had the need.

john

10. walnutmaker

walnutmaker TS Member

Jack, I have personally taken about three dozen elk since moving to Colorado and I can tell you I am a sure shot out to about 600 yds. I simply don't feel comfortable shooting any farther because beyond that range the bullet can begin to do real funny things. It doesn't matter the caliber or cartridge. I actually prefer my Pre-64 06 that keeps em touching at 100.
    That said there are some guys who will shoot farther but I'm not one of them. Incidentally I've taken some fine bulls and have never lost one. If the hit isn't perfect the best thing to do is let the animal just go and lie down-- after about 30 min the blood loss will usually keep them from moving again or in most cases they die straight away. Often on a good center hit they walk 40 or 50ft and drop.

I use a P-2 Shepherd scope and Factory 180gr Noslers by Federal. Swear by this setup--as stated earlier--has never failed me.

Oh and one more thing--light gathering with the Shepherd is as good as any I've found. Phil n Colorado

11. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

V-III is a great scope. The B+C and Range scope are not that great. V-III and up are the best of the group.

12. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

A guy can dream right....HAHA.....First thing your gonna need is a pair of 20-30moa bases or rings......You're looking at approx 300 inches of drop... let alone the windage......Do that critter a favor and realize your limitations.....Shootin at 1000yds is not that difficult in the right situation.....But if you have to ask ....you probably shouldn't until you have gotten some target time. If you cannot let someone totally change your scope settings and recover to say a large paper plate at 1000yds within 4-5 shots tops, then I'd stick to the short range stuff.

BTW 14-20x should be more than adequate. ....A lot of long range shooting(1000yds or more) is shot at 14-24x even with a 42-60x scope. Mirage will laugh at your high magnification scopes, if the weather is right.

13. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

EE you are correct. I over looked the X. Its VX-III. The three scopes are still the same but yet are not the same grade. The VX-I is the lowest and the VX-II is a mid grade while the VX-III has the clearest view of the three. I buy only the VX-III for the clearity.

14. AveragEd

I buy a lot of Leupold scopes (they are just about all I own) and as an outdoor writer, I have a contact at Leupold through whom I buy them. When the VX-3 was released, he told me that all Leupold VX-series scopes underwent changes for the better and that today's VX-II employs the same optics as the old VX-III. The VX-I is now about the same as the VX-II used to be with the entry-level Rifleman line basically being the old VX-I. The VX-3 has even better optics than the VX-III did.

I have several VX-IIIs and VX-3s and honestly cannot see a lot of difference, but I usually go with the VX-3 over a VX-II or VX-I when buying a new scope. In fact, I have a VX-3 in 3.5-10x on its way to me right now for an engraved stainless steel Model 700 sporter in 260 Remington that I recently acquired.

Ed

15. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

A guy with a .300 mag is going hunting in 3 weeks and wants you to buy him a scope to shoot 1000 yards. Sure. I thought that hunting season starts on April 1st. You can't be seriously be considering aiding this disaster about to happen? All too preposterous. Suggest you tell him to take up skeet and not scaring big game or perhaps wounding an unfortunate animal.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Ditto on the bases. I don't know of ANY scope that has enough internal adjustment for 1000 yards.

HM

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

300 yards is a very long shot for the average guy in the field regardless of equipment. Big scopes and .300 mags by themselves don't make a long range system you still need talent on the trigger. The people that really do have that kind of talent will be the first to say get closer to the target when ever possible and with big game animals it is almost always possible to get closer because they don't shoot back.

18. AveragEd

I concur. My son and I hunt groundhogs during this time of the year and we're damned proud of ourselves when we hit one where we intended to at 300 yards using heavy varmint rifles with high quality scopes resting on a bipod or bag.

I passed on a shot like that - 300 or so yards - at five whitetail deer out in an open clearing last winter. I just didn't feel confident that I could humanely kill one at that yardage offhand. That would require a lot of successful practice before I would try it.

Ed

19. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The flight time is long enough for a turtle to walk away, at 1000yds.

20. andybull

andybull Active Member

Have him checkout Premier heritage, Nightforce, USO, or S&B scopes. If he plans on making such shots he needs larger tubes and or a 20 MOA picatiny rail.

Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.