1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which lens for Green Trees and Blue Sky?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by vpr80, Jul 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Which lens is better for a green trees and blue sky background?

Have a choice of Vermillion or Light Purple.

Thanks

2. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Either will work, but of those two, I'm the purple lens fan... If you're shooting in bright, full Sun, I would also consider Randolph's dark purple and a bronze in their "plano" series.

While you don't appear to have them, see if you can borrow a pair of those to try from someone.

BTW... nice pic of the grounds - well maintained!

regards,

Jay

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I would try orange or V-Lite. See chart above.

It's different for everyone. I try to use as little tint as possible within my means.

HM

4. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have found the orange lens while a little dark make the trees and sky appear to be one color and the targets stand out.

I also found that using red glasses and orange contacts made the background disappear and the orange targets look yellow.

I am a firm believer that people do not see all colors the same, because some are color blind to some colors.

Best thing you can do is experiment.

I once bought several colored plastic clear sheets for around 99 cent each, took them to the range and watched targets through them to see the differences. Cheaper than buying different lenses at $50.00 a pop, each or more.

5. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

I would recommend your own eye test as well. It makes a difference also at what angle the sun is shinning on the targets, and the background. The vermillion is my choice, because it brightens up the target, while loosing the green and blue background, when the sun is high. However, if there is a cloud in the sky, in line with the target, it disappears. The purple is also good, but find it dulls the background to a grey, at the same time it seems to dull the orange also, for me anyways. I would do as suggested above, test your own eyes with colored film, or borrow a fellow shooters lens and look through them at some birds and see which colors illuminates the bird the most. You have to wear them for a while so your eyes adjust to the tint.

6. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Ok sounds good. Thanks guys.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

What color are the targets ..? Important factor ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Orange.

9. Bazooka Joe

Bazooka Joe Member

Nice, What club is it and where?

Rick

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Target orange or V-lite would probably work best depending on your eyes and how they adjust for certain colors ... I carry 12 pairs of lensesm including the HyDefSpec lenses so its not very often I can't find something that works ...The only ones I do not have are the Blue Ice and I have not needed them up until now ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. ABH

ABH Member

Bazooka Joe,

That is a picture of my club. North Jersey Clay Targets in Fairfield NJ. The best place in Northern NJ. to shoot trap, doubles or wobble trap. They also have registered birds.

ART H.

12. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

ABH,

Say what! They have wobble trap? I had no idea. Going to have to try it out some day.

13. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

I have shot there, the picture you should post is one of the fields. It's an open field with trees down range about 300 yards. The field on the left when looking at them which is the far field in the posted picture has trees to the left of it. The only day that I know of is Sunday that they shoot the far right field. So chances are your going to have an open field with some weeds and small saplings here and there.

Unless it's an overcast day your average day light wise is going to be a wonderful site picture.

14. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

After I shot in Hawaii the first time I called Bud Decot and asked him about lens color for orange targets and a GREEN background. I like to ask info from people that actually know what they're talking about. He said light to med purple. Worked great and worked other places too. The orange just pops right out. He also told me to use the lightest tint you can stand of any color. More light tightens up the pupils and enhances depth perception.

Charlie

15. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Purple....

16. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

I use a light to medium purple when I can.

If the birds are going into sky, I'll use my CMT Lenses.

They work great for me, but not everyone.

At my home club which has a hillside and scrub oak, have to go

to Vermillion.

Mike C.

17. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

I am going to have Vermillion, Med Yellow and CMT to play with. I'll see how those work and might find someone with a light purple to try. Thanks

18. Portigee Duckman

Portigee Duckman TS Member

If you need some used lenses in good shape ,PM me ?
    They are 67-15's and 69-15's
    Decot's and HyDef's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.