1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Laser Rangefinder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jakearoo, Nov 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

I need to buy a laser rangefinder for deer hunting (both bow and rifle) and for golf. Want accurate, and tough. Size and weight are also secondary issues. Any one with experience with these devices who would care to share thoughts? Thanks, Jake

2. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

Leica rangefinder hands down. I have a 1200 Leica I am thinking about selling. Why I would even think about selling it is I don't use it. I took it out west with me prairie dog hunting use it one time and never got it out of the box again. I have rangefinders in my scopes now. I would take $450.00 for it today ship to the lower 48 states.

3. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Leica! My buddy was ranging targets 1900 yards with his. They were highly reflective targets and that rangefinder is NOT CHEAP. It is small and light too. Fits well in one hand.

4. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

Leica only and the Leopolds are disappointing..even to Leopold.

5. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Go to accurateshooter.com Everything you ever wanted to know is there about rifles, optics, range finders, reloading, etc.

6. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Thanks for the above responses. I expect the rangefinder I need will be used 20 times on the golf course to every one time for deer or other game. I don't know if that makes a difference in which one to purchase. Jake

7. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

jakearoo

if your interested in the Leica 1200 I have PM me and I can send you a picture tomorrow. Don't wait to long I am going to post it on Craigslist on Monday.

8. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

Rick, Which 1200 model do you have, the cfr or the lfr? I see them advertised new for about $460 all over the net. You want $450 for the one you have used?

9. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

ITs a LRF with scan 1200 Jakearoo.

[​IMG]

10. Pride Engineer

Pride Engineer Member

I have a Leica 800 that looks just like the 1200 pictured. I have the case and it's in as new condition. I'll sell it for $200. I found ranging past 400 or 500 yards is somewhat useless unless you can shoot that far. I have done well ranging half way to the target and then doubling to get the range to targets 1200-1600 yards away.

PM me and we can set up arrangements if you are interested.

Mark Zauhar

11. 1oz

1oz Member

I like the Lrf models more than i do the Crf's .The LRF's can be mounted to tripod for steadier ranging .I believe Leica has come out with an adaptor for the CRF model now . I have owned many Leica products to find all but 1 to perform excellent and Leica corperation bent over double to make sure this was corrected and that i was a happy customer. Now now own a set of Leica Geovids 10 x 42 HD for my ranging needs .I would find the LRF 1200 to fit most all needs for ranging for hunting.

Jim

12. rwtii

rwtii Member

Leupold OLED is terrific. Numbers are easier to read than anything else on the market. Do you shoot at 1200 yards? Maybe Asia with .50 BMG. They are hard on game animals.

13. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

I've had leica, bushnell, Leupold & now a swavorski. Swavorski hands down. The leica was 2nd but not even close. Do not have any experience with the g7.

14. trapman69

trapman69 Member

You have a PM. Tom R

15. 2@low8

2@low8 Member

The OP is going to use this more for golf than for hunting. His best bet is to get a Vortex. It's a 1000 yd rangefinder for under 500 dollars. It sounds like he doesn't need ballistic compensation like the G7 has or the size of the older leicas and G7. I have used the Vortex side by side with my Leica and there is no foreseable diffrence in normal use. Both will range farther for me than the advertised distance. They are both small enough to fit in your pocket which works well for golf or hunting. I have the vortex as a backup to my Leica 1600B, its the best rangefinder under 600 dollars and it also has true ballistic range, ie slope correction.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.