1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which is the better choice?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by ks-trap-shooter, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ks-trap-shooter

ks-trap-shooter TS Member

I have been looking to invest in a new gun. I have found a few I like. I am having a hard time trying to narrow down my options. If you guys could share some of your wise knowledge on the subject, I would greatly appreciate it. There are three choices of used guns:

A KRIEGHOFF KX-5 SPECIAL for $4400
    A Kreighoff KS-5 for $2600
    or a Kolar T/S for $6000

Keeping money in mind (less is better) which one would be (in your view) a better deal. I have not chot or do I have the means to shoot any of these guns.

This may seem like a stretch, but I do need some help. I am a fairly new shooter, but take it pretty serious. Thank You Very Much
    Ryan

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

The KS5.

3. ks-trap-shooter

ks-trap-shooter TS Member

I appreciate your advice. I really don't want to go up to 6K, but I don't really know what to do. Either way, I am going to have to pay the gun out and $6000 may be too much of a stretch.
    I want to buy a competitive trap gun that will be consistant. The reason I started thinking about Kolar's is a couple guys were I shoot have them and love them.

The thing about the Perazzi's is all the numbers...the confuse me. So many models to look at. If anyone could also shed some light on that, it would be good.
    Thanks a lot guys
    Ryan

4. ink ball

ink ball Member

Also consider a Caesar Guerini Summit Unsingle. It is in the price range that you are looking for, and it will allow you to add an O/U barrel in future if you want to. I just got rid of a KX-5 and bought a Caesar Guerini Magnus Trap Combo. Without a doubt, the CG is the best trap gun that I've ever owned (and I've owned close to 20 of them over the years).

Just something else to consider...

5. deking00

deking00 Member

Always, Shoot before you buy!

6. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

Shoot the KS-5. If the barrel hanger suits you, it's the best deal. FYI, the older KS-5's had fixed (but you can change them) barrel hangers to adjust POI. Krieghoff used to change them out for $20. Don't know if they still do. The Specials have the wheel to adjust the rib and POI. Obviously the condition makes a big difference.

On the other hand, if you're willing to go to the $4000 range for a KX; look for a good used K-80 unsingle or a good K32. You're only mentioning single barrel guns so I'm thinking you'd be OK with just a single bbl K-80 for now. Best thing is you can add a double at any time. I think Turtle Creek had an unsingle K-80 for $4600 or something.

The K-80 is infinitely better than any gun you mentioned.

7. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Our guys shoot both the Kolar T/S & KX5 and break beaucoup birds with both. Both are fine firearms. $1600 buys a lot of practice - but as was said, try both before you buy - you're making an investment in your shooting equipment and want to get it right for YOU.

Good Luck with either,

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.