1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

which is the best $500-$550 pistol

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chipmaker, Apr 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Musket,
    Look toward the Springfield Armory XD XD/M line they have both the grip safety and the trigger safety. Been more than one guy with a Glock snag the trigger on something and shoot themselves in the ass.............I have both the 45 and the 9mm in the XD line and they are wonderful firearms!

2. macguyver67

macguyver67 Member

I agree with Chipmaker. I have 2 of the XDM's and love them. My XDM 525 is not an ideal carry gun due to the size but it is a fun gun to shoot and is very accurate.

Joseph

3. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

You are heading in the right direction. First pistol I owned was a ruger 22 and the second was a Glock 19. I've bought a bunch since then and none of them beat the Glock 19 for the all around deal--reliability, capacity, power, concealability, cost of ammo, recoil, etc. Put it in a good holster. Mine is Gen 2 so can't comment on 3 v. 4.

4. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

<blockquote><i>Want something I can carry...</i></blockquote>

This tells me that you want it for self defense. I'm not a fan of the 9mm for that. I think .40S&W is better and .45ACP is the best. <br>"A 9mm JHP might expand but a .45ACP won't get smaller." -Col Jeff Cooper

The 9mm is inexpensive and fun to shoot at the range. For that the G19 is a great gun and super reliable. However, if you want one that you might carry look into the G22 or G27(easier to conceal). The .40S&W is more powerful than the 9mm, but more controllable than the .45ACP and it's less expensive than the .45ACP.

I have a G27 I might consider selling. PM me if you're interested.

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Don't rule out the Smith$Wesson m&p series.

6. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Listen to Chip. I, too have two XD's. A 45 Compact that I carry in my Dillon briefcase and a 9mm Tactical for the Significant Other. Great handling and never fails to run.

HBT

7. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Go to gunbroker.com and look at the Beretta Cougar. It comes in 9mm,.40cal and .45. I have put thousands of rounds thru my 40 and carried it on duty and off. No problems, period. Little recoil and in your price range.

JON

8. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I've tried several of the above, and all functioned great. That being said, I just purchased a Kahr CW9 and it is a dream to shoot and conceal. Very compact, very reliable, and, best of all, around $350.00 for a brand new one. Made in the USA, too... Just depends on what you want it for. I, personally, have no problem carrying the Kahr as my primary piece...... Dan Thome (Trap2)

9. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I'll stay out of the 9 vs 40 vs 45

It is as bad as 7.5 vs 8. Maybe worse.

I've yet to find anyone who would rather be shot with a 9 instead of a 45 though.

I like the Glock. It fits my hand quite well. I held a S&W M&P the other day and I liked it too. Could never get comfortable with a XD but that was one of the original ones.

Try out several. Many indoor ranges have rental guns.

10. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Definetly look at the S&W M&P line. The M&P is taking back the
    law enforcement market that was held by Glock. Interchangeable
    back-straps, ambi magazine release, ambi slide stop and a life-time
    warranty. And you don't have to pull the trigger to disassemble.

11. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

The Kahr's are the best carry guns (in my opinion). As far as best all around handgun, it's the H&K USP compact in .40 S&W (for me). It's a bet pricey new, but you can pick on up used for a reasonable price.

12. picc0029

picc0029 TS Member

Again,

For the money Springfield XD/XDM's are hard to beat. The S&W M&P Series is right in there also. One plus of the XDM, in 9mm and .40 Cal.is that they do hold a few more rounds than others of the same size and come with a nice case, holster,mag carrier and a loader. What I really noticed is that The XDM's which have the match grade barrel really excell at longer ranges. They perform outstanding from the 25 to 50 yard range if you can shoot that distance.
    The rest of my fellow officers liked mine enough that almost a dozen of them picked one up for off duty in the sub compact models.
    Just my two cents...
    Sam

13. dale1957

dale1957 Member

XD's !

14. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Carry the G19 or M&P depending on attire,,,,,G19 is big enough to fight with and small enough to conceal....

All mentioned are kind of like shotguns,,,,,each one has a following and YOU need to shoot them all to find what you like the best,,,,,get a good holster and MOST importantly,,,,,training if you plan on carrying,,,,,

Keep asking questions.....

15. jwells

jwells Member

ask trayvon what he thinks about the firepower of a nine mm. oh thats right you cant.

16. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

What is a 45mm 3.8mm?

17. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

In a close in gun fight, he who shoots first and generally straight wins. Been there and done that. I don't want to have to do anything but point and shoot. Therefore, a small frame double action 38 revolver for me, is still the best way to go. I love big frame autos. They are great for combat and cops, but not for me.

18. JTEA

JTEA Member

As with trapshooting, fit is of the utmost importance. Make sure you sample many guns on several different visits. If you can't get a "proper" grip quickly and easily you are hindering your response time and accuracy. Get your grip high and then quickly mount to sight. If you aren't close to having the bead in the notch look some more.

19. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

musketman,

Go find a well stocked gun store, and handle a variety of different styles and makes.

Find the one the feels good in your hand and then pick the caliber your comfortable with.

A 22 LR slug in the right placement, will KILL just as effective and anything else.

The argument over caliber size will always take place over which is better. BUT it you can't hit with it, IT won't matter when you need it!!

20. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

This whole XD "match grade" barrel thing is a joke. There is no
    industry standard for what a match barrel is. Kel-Tec could
    claim their barrel is "match grade" and you could't disprove
    it. A few friends and I recently shot a XD, an XD-M, Glock 17
    and M&P Pro side-by-side for accuracy. All were 9mm. None clearly out-shot the other. About 2.5" at 20 yards was the norm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.