1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which is it..50% or 100%?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by John55, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John55

John55 Active Member

Been shooting a few patterns from 40yds to check whether or not my pattern is centered and how high the center is in relation to my aim point. All patterns are centered great from left to right, and each one has the very bottom of the pattern right at or an inch or so above the aim point.
    Is this position termed 100% high or 50%? I'm guessing it's 100% but would like other opinions.

2. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Yes - 100% high ... meaning, all the pellets hit above the point of aim. 50% would be 1/2 the pellets above and 1/2 below the POA. I find it hard to determine the top (or bottom) of a pattern accurately - but feel its easier to determine the center of the pattern.

3. John55

John55 Active Member

I was pretty certain this was 100%, thanks for clearing that up! I usually look over the few stray pellets on the top and bottom and attempt to determine where the upper/lower edges of the main pattern mass are located.

4. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You have to measure to the center of your pattern to find out what percentage high you are shooting ...

3 inches high at 40 yards = 60/40

6 inches high at 40 yards - 70/30

9 inches high at 40 yards = 80/20

12 inches high at 40 yards = 90/10

15 inches high at 40 yards = 100% high

I measure to the center (Hot spot) of the pattern foot print on the grease sheet to determine that ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

WPT has it right. If you were to shoot the gun with a lesser choke, you would see more pellets below your center line, but your POI(the center of pattern) would remain the same.

Some on this site feel that just by changing chokes they can alter the POI, becuase more pellets appear above or below the aiming point. This is not correct...unless your chokes tubes have been altered.

The use of the term "percentages equaling inches" only work for the 40yd shot. Anything else becomes a shooter's personal interpetation and preference.

6. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

But what if you have a smsnyder choked gun that throws a 24" pattern at 40 yards? Those percentage numbers are wrong then.

7. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

You are so right Rick, you can't compare percentages to poi in inches unless you think all shotguns shoot the same size pattern.

8. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

I was taught that WPT is right on...BUT...you must sight flatly down the rib...not stacked beads or space between beads. One gun mfg. rates theirs by including your site picture when gun is mounted. That would make any determination subjective, IMO. When you sell a gun and advertise it as shooting any percentage including flat, no way to know exactly how the buyer would mount the gun. The base reference must be consistant or any result would be nebulous at best.

milt

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Where is the center of this 24" pattern at 40yds? If it is 6" high, your POI is 70/30. Point of impact deals with the center of the pattern, not the outside edge or diameter.

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

This pattern is about 90/10. Center of pattern is 13 inches high from bottom of cross. Its about right for me. This was two shots at the same target. 1 1/8 8 shot off a rest. Kolar number .035 choke at 35 yards.

11. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

Doug, I'm puzzled now.

Gun that shoots a 22" pattern 11" high = 100% ?

Gun that shoots a 30" pattern 11" high = 85/15 ?

12. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Milt, you are correct. A baseline needs to be established to determine where the GUN shoots, not where a shooter might shoot it or wants it to shoot. For years the industry did set some rules for "aiming the gun". If the gun had two beads, it was aimed with the beads as a figure 8. A single bead was flat on the rib.

Here's a little scenario I hear every week....

Would it be possible to determine a gun's pattern center if shooter "A" shot his guns at 34yds, with a figure 8 and shooter "B" would take this same gun and shoot with both beads aligned and flat on the rib, and at 40yds.

Answer...No

Now shooter "C" comes along and wants to buy the gun from shooter "B". Shooter "B" says the gun shoots 70/30 without disclosing the fact that he liked the beads flat on the rib. Shooter "C" is happy about the 70/30 and buys the gun. He can't hit targets very well and patterns the gun to check the POI. Shooting the gun with the beads figure 8'd, it shoots 4-6 inches higher...not what he likes. Now he's looking at money to have custom work done or he sells the gun.

13. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

I don't believe that pattern diameter (size) has anything to do with POI height. Its the center of the pattern im looking for.

14. John55

John55 Active Member

Been shooting a few patterns from 40yds to check whether or not my pattern is centered and how high the center is in relation to my aim point. All patterns are centered great from left to right, and each one has the very bottom of the pattern right at or an inch or so above the aim point.
    Is this position termed 100% high or 50%? I'm guessing it's 100% but would like other opinions.

15. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Active Member

Yes - 100% high ... meaning, all the pellets hit above the point of aim. 50% would be 1/2 the pellets above and 1/2 below the POA. I find it hard to determine the top (or bottom) of a pattern accurately - but feel its easier to determine the center of the pattern.

16. John55

John55 Active Member

I was pretty certain this was 100%, thanks for clearing that up! I usually look over the few stray pellets on the top and bottom and attempt to determine where the upper/lower edges of the main pattern mass are located.

17. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

You have to measure to the center of your pattern to find out what percentage high you are shooting ...

3 inches high at 40 yards = 60/40

6 inches high at 40 yards - 70/30

9 inches high at 40 yards = 80/20

12 inches high at 40 yards = 90/10

15 inches high at 40 yards = 100% high

I measure to the center (Hot spot) of the pattern foot print on the grease sheet to determine that ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

18. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

WPT has it right. If you were to shoot the gun with a lesser choke, you would see more pellets below your center line, but your POI(the center of pattern) would remain the same.

Some on this site feel that just by changing chokes they can alter the POI, becuase more pellets appear above or below the aiming point. This is not correct...unless your chokes tubes have been altered.

The use of the term "percentages equaling inches" only work for the 40yd shot. Anything else becomes a shooter's personal interpetation and preference.

19. RickN

RickN Well-Known Member

But what if you have a smsnyder choked gun that throws a 24" pattern at 40 yards? Those percentage numbers are wrong then.

20. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

You are so right Rick, you can't compare percentages to poi in inches unless you think all shotguns shoot the same size pattern.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.