1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which is cleaner Clays or Clay Dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Wildcat Lewis, Nov 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wildcat Lewis

Wildcat Lewis Member

Have been working with Clays for a singles load using 1&1/8 of shot this fall. I found it to be extremey clean burning with excellent performance. Saw it mentioned on other threads that Clay Dot is even cleaner burning. I realise the clays is topping out in pressure levels at the 1200' load mentioned above. Would Like to hear more opinions on the cleaner burning part?

WL

2. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I first used Clays then switched to Clay Dot. Did not see any difference in clean burning and performance. Use only Clay Dot now. Made in USA.

3. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

As far as I could see, they are identical. You use exactly the same data to get the same pressure and speed, and the gun looks just the same. I noticed no difference in felt recoil, and scores were pretty much the same. ClayDot is appreciably cheaper, if that makes a difference.

4. shoobedoo

shoobedoo Member

QUOTE: "ClayDot is appreciably cheaper, if that makes a difference."

Of the places I checked Clay Dot runs on average about $20 less for an 8 pounder, and that's reason enough right there to try some IMO.

5. darr

darr Well-Known Member

What shoebedo said.

6. nipper

nipper TS Member

I found it to be extremey clean burning with excellent performance. so why do you want to change then????????????? bored, spend more money, ?????

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Both Clays and Claydot are only as clean burning as your load data is efficient.

If your components are mismatched or your pressures are low, either powder can leave your bore looking like a wood stove chimney. Both these powders seem happiest when pressures get to 9500-10,000 psi and up

Keller

8. Unknown1

You're to be congratulated, but I didn't say the powders wouldn't work at lower pressures. You said that the the pressures you quoted are "advertised"; have you ever really had the pressure in your loads measured so you know what they are actually producing the way you load them??

I stand by the information from Paul at Alliant: powder was formulated for 1 oz loads and for 1 1/8 oz loads under 1200 fps at pressures of 9000 psi and up.

Keller

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have found the same thing to be true as Keller is saying. Cleanliness is consistent with different powder weights.

-The cleanest I have found is Rem. STS hull, Rem fig 8 wad, Win 209 primer, 1 1/8 oz shot and 17.4 gr. clays. Above and below that powder weight has resulted in a dirty barrel bore.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Testing Clays recipes down to 6500psi... still burns very clean.

Jay

11. tudurgs

tudurgs Member

Why should cleanliness be a consideration? You presumably clean the gun at the end of the day no matter what. Shouldn't decisions be made based on performance and cost?

12. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I've been using Clays since around 1994 with great results. I have considered switching to ClayDot for the cost savings.

13. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

I have found that Clay Dot is not affected by cold temperatures as much as Clays! If it is really cold you better keep you Clays loads in where it is warm. the beav

14. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Both are good clean burning powder, with very little residual left behind!

I use Clay Dot personally.

15. Skeetbender

Skeetbender Active Member

Used Clays for well over 10 years. GTG

Switched to Claydot for price 3 or 4 jugs ago.

My load is close leadvail above.

If I had to give an edge for clean, Clays would win by the smallest measurable amount. Basically a non issue. Does put off a slight dust when pouring into hopper that I don't recall with Clays.

Performance seems the same although had to change 1 bushing size to get the same weight drop.

Not changing anytime soon.

16. Unknown1

<I><blockquote>"You presumably clean the gun at the end of the day no matter what."</blockquote></I>From what I've read on here, the people who do that are the distinct minority!

Keller

17. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I like claydot for target loads in. 38 spl and. 45 acp...

18. Unknown1

<blockquote><I>"Don't be fooled by the 20yd C class experts."</I></blockquote>You ARE talking about Paul Furrier of Alliant, right?

Oh...and Alliant didn't "copy" Clays; that's like saying that the pizza companies copied each other because they all sell pizza. You can bet that the moment Clay Dot hit the shelves Hodgdon was all over it like white on rice looking for formulation similarities. When they didn't find anything, the only thing they could cry about was that the name contained "Clay". The court basically said that didn't matter. (Wanna read the case summary?)

Alliant developed a powder that has the same ballistic characteristics as Clays in a similar density. There's nothing illegal about that. There are significant compounding differences between Clays and Claydot.

Keller

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Not to get off track but how do ClayDot and Red Dot compare as far as cleanliness/ pressure / economy etc?? I used Red Dot long ago when I did still reload and loved the performance before switching to 700X for economics reasons. I had read that the formulation of Red Dot was changed to be cleaner but have not tried any of the new stuff..getting my ducks in a row in case I decide I get my 9000G fired up again

20. Unknown1

Ah, lead...

Who can hope to compete with your rapier wit, your bold and articulate prose, your extraordinary command of the English language and your faultless logic??

Keller

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

clays cleaner clay dot