1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

which is better spears or tinmey?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TTabor, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TTabor

TTabor TS Member

I am looking to buy a release trigger for a 1100. What I need to know which is better the spears or timney? I have read that some timneys are not as good as others. And I may have a hard time getting some one to fix it, if somthing goes wrong with it. I can buy a new spears for $211.00 So do I buy new or go used?

2. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Never had an issue with a Spears.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Spears is a great trigger, as was the Timney. Stu Wright now has all Timney's parts, and I doubt that getting parts for a Timney would pose any problem. The problem you may run into with the Timney, if it is a fairly recent trigger, is that the workmanship is not what it once was. As he grew older, his attention to detail really suffered, and I ended up with a couple triggers for an SX-1 that were pure junk. If, however, the Timney is an older, steel model, you have a real gem. Release triggers for an 1100 made by Timney are a gamble, at best. At one time, the ONLY trigger Daro Handy would shoot in his 1100 was a Timney. He still has a bunch of them, but, I don't know who, if anyone, is tuning them for him. And, yes, Daro is back to shooting his 1100, and is doing very well with it. I know this is probably not the answer you are looking for, but, unless the Timney is an older, steel, speed-lok release, I would opt for the Spears....... Just my experience.... Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Check your PM.

FR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.