1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

which is better - ithaca century trap or win. 101

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kevin a., Apr 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin a.

kevin a. Member

i am looking at a nice ithaca(skb) century trap and
    a win. 101 single barrel .

any comments - thanks kevin

2. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Find a nice Perazzi, Kreighoff, or Beretta and forget about it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

3. kevin a.

kevin a. Member

its a money thing - if you have several grand you'd like to give me
    i'll gladly buy a k / p gun .

thanks i'll send you my address

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Kevin, its about 6, half a dozen or the other. Both of the guns you posted have a reputation of being a hard recoiling shotgun. Buy the one that you like, and fits the best. Break-em all. Jeff

5. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

Kevin I have had both and both were good guns, parts may be harder to find for the Ithica. The 101 seemed to have better balance and I shot it better but the rib kept coming loose, may have been just a problem to this gun though. Try them both and go from there, both are ok but I would give the edge to the Winchester.
    Carey

6. ABH

ABH Member

Kevin,

I too have owned both guns. The 101's are known to have rib problems. The Ithaca will be much harder get parts for. I preferred the Ithaca. Pick the gun that feels better to you and go with it.

ART H.

7. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Send the address, then go over in the corner and hold your breath until it gets there ...
    Not sure how much you are looking to spend but there are some smoking deals out there right now ... I just missed a Beretta 682X, top single with choke tubes and case for under $1,000 that was on the "For Sale" board at the local club ... If you listen you might learn something and save a little money, and maybe even get a better gun for less, but you won't ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

8. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I don't know what your budget is, or your specific preferences, but you might want to look at the newer Winchester Select Energy Trap. They are very reasonably priced and, in my opinion, lots of gun for the money. Martinpicker

9. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Who's going to supply parts for the SKB? They're out of business and the Century was discontinued years ago. Better buy two - one to shoot and one for parts.

Buy an older BT99 if you want cheap.

If you do buy a 101 buy a later "Diamond Grade". The old ones kicked like a mule and had old european barrel dimensions. The later Diamond Grades were factory big bores and had better triggers - not as pretty as the old 101 but better shooters.

Like said b4, I'd buy a used TM1 Perazzi and be done with it. Much better gun and parts and gunsmiths galore to take care of you.

Good luck.

10. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Kevin:
    I owned the Ithaca and it hit targets with absolute authority. Like everyone said parts are hard to find. Weak point of this gun was the metal the firing pins were made of as they broke often for some. The Ithaca I consider a league shooters gun. Nothing wrong with league shooters, but most do not shoot as much as ATA shooters. The Ithaca will become loose with any great amount of target shooting. Everyone I shot was a flat shooter. With the price some shooters are getting for these guns I would save up a couple hundred more and purchase a clean used bt99. From people I know that owned the Winchester, rib problems.

11. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Have patients to look elsewhere for a better choice! TM-1 is a much better choice with the ability to get any needed parts, I have an old TM-1 Ithaca and have had it for 30 some years!! A few hammer springs and one locking block in all that time!! They are sleek tanks in the shooting durability department!!

Hap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.