1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Harley

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by amboy49, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

So, in addition to thinking about getting into trapshooting again after many years, I am also thinking about acquiring a Harley Davidson to further regain foster an interest from my younger days.

For occasional longer trips, but mostly day trips of less than 500 miles - would you choose the Roadking, Fat Boy or Heritage Softtail ?

With the assumption the bike would be an '07 or '08 considerations are:

Ride
    Comfort
    Storage
    Resaleability

And . . . . .

2. cls

cls Member

I'd suggest something from the "touring" line, such as the Road King or Electra Glide. My choice would be an Electra Glide Ultra Classic (the top of the line touring model), especially if you'll often have a passenger. cls

3. Maytag

Maytag TS Member

I have to concur with the Road King. I have an '08 fat boy, which is "basically the same as a heritage, but without the bags and studs which I thought were ugly.
    Anyway, the fat boy is great up to about 150 miles or so. It could use an aftermarket plusher seat. Does OK with two up, plenty of power. I rented an Ultra glide this past summer on vacation, and it was a wonderful ride and comfortable.

4. lancelot

lancelot Member

Dear Amboy49,

Day trips of 500 miles ? What a hoss! All my day trips were more like a 100 miles. I did ride a Road-King 473 miles in a day when I was about 55 and had no ill effects, but even then 300 would have been more than enough.

I had a Heritage 3 or 4 years ago and was amazed how well it did with the balanced engine. If you are going to make many trips at all you will need the windshield, and bags. So why not get the Heritage over the Fatboy? You'll have to spend another $1,500 to add them.

IMHO You'll be happier with the Road-King, but the Heritage will work. If you do decide to get the tour frame in an 08 or older bike PLEASE look into one of the frame stabilizer kits now available. The cost is about $200, and I understand they do wonders.

Good Riding, Ron Ireland

5. rebelace

rebelace TS Member

heritage softail

6. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

I know I'm gonna get crucified for this but just remember ;there are only 2 kinds of motorcycle riders: them that's been down and them that's going down--you pays ur money and u takes ur chances

7. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

You can get the detachable "tour pack" for the Heritage or the Road King. The suspension on the Road King will be better, especially if you have a passenger.
    The Road King hard bags have more room than the Heritage Soft bags. I currently have a 06'Street Glide which is a Sport model of the Ultra Classic, so I have a front fairing, radio, hard bags, detachable tour pack, great ride, and the seat is lower than an Ultra. Take off the tour pack, and you have a sporty looking scooter. It's Harley #14, and the best so far. Of course, thats what I've said about all of them.

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Three kinds , been down .goin down or goin down again. Sorry. Just a correction. Jeff

9. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

How true,Jeff

10. brian meyerhofer

brian meyerhofer TS Member

Electra Glide. I had a 2001 electa glide classic and took on 700mi round trip with a passenger and loved it. I have owned 6 Harleys and the electra glide is the one I wish I never sold.

11. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Save your self a lota' skint hide and about $10,000.......buy a used Perazzi combo and skip on the bike. LOL

All good

12. thunder

thunder Active Member

I owned a FXRT convertible and took it to New Mexico, Utah, Colorado and back to Wisconsin, fantastic bike and made that trip pleasant to do in 2 weeks. You could take the windschield off but never did.

Owned a Softtail Custom and would not even think about takeing it on a long haul of 500 miles or more a day. Loved the way it handled and the look but not the road crusier for long trips.

My last Harley was a 1990 Ultra Classic with many performace upgrades to the motor. I rode that bike to Sturgis in one day and it was very manageable and confortable (over 770miles in a day). We road in almost every western state and my wife never tired of it. We added a little trailer behind and didn't even know it was their. I would have nothing else if I was thinking of trips over 300 miles a day, of coarse we are all getting older but why suffer and the radio is nice to have, plus the trailer allowed the wife to bring her curling iron along. I had owned 14 Harleys and sold my last one the ultra classic 2 years ago, do I miss it you bet, been riding them since I was 16.

Good luck and enjoy,
    Andy

13. Turtle29728

Turtle29728 TS Member

A few years ago when HD couldn't produce enough units to meet the demand, resaleability wasn't a problem. The demand was so high and the supply so small that every "basket case" clunker in this part of the country got resurrected and sold.Prices were sky high. Not so today. There is no shortage of new or used HD bikes for sale, whatever the model.Unless and until you are sure you want to ride for a few years at least, I would go low on the price if possible, perhaps an older model, unless you have money to burn or enjoy having a $14-18K "toy" sitting unused in the garage. I am 58 years old and own a '92 Springer Softtail I customized myself. I regularly ride it 2-300 miles in a day, but, admittedly, it isn't the most comfortable riding bike, mainly because it doesn't have a rubber mounted engine.However, it is fun to ride. All the rubber mounted models are pretty smooth. Generally,the FL models are more comfortable to ride than the FX's due to the wider front tire size. have fun!

14. FN in MT

FN in MT TS Member

+1 to what the previous poster said! The days of buying a Harley for $14K, riding for a few years and getting $13,500 for it are LONG gone. Supply HAS met the demand.

I had three Dynas. They fit my riding style, I liked the looks, etc. Then I tried a BMW and that was the end of Harleys for me. Never looked abck. Have a pair of Beemers and I'm very happy with them.

I know it's heresy, but before You sign for that hog....just try a Beemer. It's an eye opening experience.

FN in MT

15. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

The Electra Glide Classic with electronic cruise control is my choice. The fairing just does a MUCH better job of blocking the wind than any windshield made. That comes in handy on long rides since it leaves you fresher and less tired from wind buffeting. The fairing also contains a lot of gauges which the other models you mentioned do not have. AND, the EGC contains a radio/stereo/CD player.

Also, the EGC has the Tour Pak which is VERY handy for carrying things. If you are carrying a passenger (wife, girlfriend, etc), they will be much more comfortable with the backrest/armrest of the EGC which the others you mentioned don't have.

Also, the EGC has the two big running lights in addition to the headlight. That makes it easier for someone to see you coming, even in daylight. In my opinion, there is just no comparison between the EGC and the ones you mentioned, and the EGC costs only a little more.

If I had to pick one that you mentioned, it would be the Road King, but truthfully it is a distant second place to the EGC. You only go around once. Get the one with the features that make riding more comfortable, more enjoyable, and safer. That's the Electra Glide Classic.

Easystreet

16. fordfan347

fordfan347 Member

Get a street glide. I had lowrider then bought the street glide for a trip out west.Sold the lowrider and never looked back.This new bike is great for riding around town or a long trip.

17. Juno

Juno TS Member

If you got the bucks, get a SE Ultra Classic.

18. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Don't forget if you have to have HD about the Road Glide,,,,many who have them and ride a lot, swear by them.

I had an SEEG and while it was a really fun ride,,,,long trips were not its thing,,,,plus I ride too hard for a HD. I like to ride and not wrench, which is why I ride a Gold Wing. Like sitting on the couch running 80 down the highway. I also got tired of things falling off the HD.

Best of luck and see you down the road,,,,keep the shiny side up. Jim

19. Juno

Juno TS Member

Jim, you ride to hard for a Harley? You must be a great rider. Take care my friend.

20. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

I'm riding an '85 FXR that I bought new in 85. She has 215,000 mi. on her. If (God Forbid)I have to replace her..I'd look at a "Street-Glide". Of the models you list, if you want to ride 500 mi. in a day..Road King.
    If you can get past the whole "Harley Thing", the BMW's are great machines. You might want to try one before you pass them by.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.