1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which guns when lead is banned?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Aug 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

I enjoy the older fixed choke guns: NID, Lefever Nitro, Winchester Model 12, Ithaca 37, Remington 31, and I hope to buy a Knick. Which will I be able to shoot if lead shot is banned?

2. nsrailroad

nsrailroad Member

Are they working on the wads to handle this, sure be alot of guns not be used.

3. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

If lead is outlawed what would you be saving those older guns for? Shoot the steel or never shoot the guns, I'll take my chances. Steel target loads with 6 shot or smaller probably wouldn't do enough damage to notice and if they did you could use them for tomato stakes.

4. B.C.

B.C. Member

you will probably have to backbore the barrels and adjust the choke to match . hope this helps. B.C.

5. Bushmaster1313

If the chokes are fixed and the barrels are made for modern lead ammo, other than the change in ballistics and not wanting to give in to the liberal, dweeb environmental, weenies, is there any problem using steel target ammo?

The practical issue is this: If I knew that I would have to shoot steel starting tomorrow, would I still buy the 4E Knick that I am trying to find?

6. b12

b12 Well-Known Member

Don't even talk such rubbish

7. batman1004

batman1004 TS Member

they will never ban lead maybe 30 to 50 yrs from now but not in my life time if they do say good buy to trap shooting

8. Bushmaster1313

Why is trap gone with no lead?

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Would not bother me. My 1187's will all work with steel shot. And I have to use steel in certain areas for hunting. Steel costs more, but once it replaces lead in large quantities, the costs will come down. The only shotgun I have that has too thin of barrels is an old Winchester 24 I used for cowboy shoots. As long as the muzzle doesn't split I don't care if the choke bulges or gets gouges in it. And I have a set of 18" cylinder bore barrels for it anyway. As for my Browning Model 12 in 20ga, it has a mod choke. I found that steel was a good way to get full patterns for pheasant hunting.<br>
    <br>
    Having said all that, I can certainly understand the issues some with expensive guns with fixed chokes are having, and I'm sympathetic to their plight. Keep in mind that I cast lead bullets for blackpowder cartridges, and some of my guns have original bores made from soft steel that would quickly get worn out with jacketed bullets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.