1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which gun???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Schmidt Racing, May 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Schmidt Racing

Schmidt Racing TS Member

I realize that this subject has probably been asked a million times, but, I am new to trap shooting and would like to know some of your opinions of which gun is the most bang for the buck. Can't afford anything high dollar. And may end up buying more than one as I have 2 sons that are also interested in shooting. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks, Dick

2. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

The only recommendation I have is to buy something durable. Don't buy some off brand that will spend more time in the shop, that is if you can even find parts for it.

Ajax

3. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Beretta.....GOOD LUCK

4. doublea

doublea Member

Personally I shoot a Remington 1100. In my opinion your best value for an entry level gun would be a Remington 870. Low cost and durable. Adam

5. jdomas

jdomas Member

Beretta 391

6. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

I agree with doublea however look out for recoil on the 870

7. dverna

dverna Active Member

A used 1100 is a very good value. They are easy to fix and parts are everywhere. For your kids, they have less recoil than a break open. You can use them to hunt with too. When/if you upgrade, you will get almost all your money back.

The Beretta 390's etc are better but more money.

DO NOT buy a dedicated trap gun until you have shot a few thousand birds. Once you are known at the club, many of us will let you try our guns. You can always try guns that guys have up for sale. Try a bunch and see what works for you before you spend a lot of money.

Don Verna

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

1100. Best gun for the $$$$$ and they are pretty durable, easy to fix and very light on recoil. Also a good point about keeping value.

9. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

You know, I'm going to break away from the norm here and make a suggestion. You may want to look really hard at the H&R Trap gun. It's a lot of bang for the buck and can usually be bought for less than $350 new. This would make a great starter gun for the boys.

I'm not taking anything away from what has already been posted, as I own a few 870's and 1100's.

ss

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Buy a couple Remington 1100s. All the parts are interchangeable and don't have to be fitted by a gunsmith. You can also buy a couple extra barrls for other games like skeet and sporting clays. HMB

11. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Most will argue that an 1100 is perhaps the best gun from a cost/value perspective. Many good reasons have been listed above by others. I agree with most of them.

I would suggest starting with a TRAP 1100. You may handicap yourself with a gun that is not properly set up for trap. As a result there is a chance you may not enjoy the game enough to continue. This is especially critical with youngsters. All you would have to do to convert to field use is change the stock. Any number of barrels are also interchangeable. The trap models have been designed to withstand the additional use placed upon a competition gun. Most semi-active trapshooters will shoot more in a year than a hunter will shoot in a lifetime.

I should add that a great number of very accomplished shooters still choose an 1100 as their main shooter. Hard to argue with an old timer that still shoots your lights out with one of the most popular guns ever built. Honestly, who amongst us does not own or have owned at least one 1100. I currently own four and have no intention of parting with any of them. An 1100 was my beginning trap gun and although I have moved on I still enjoy the soft recoil, reliability, and target breaking ability of this gun. I often wonder if I, or others, have "MOVED ON" more for snob appeal than any other reason. Probably not. With me there is always another gun calling to me. BIG MISTAKE.

In a break open gun there is no better value than a BT-99. Either gun if bought used at a fair price will bring all the money back should you decide to sell.

Good luck with your shooting. Marc

12. 7771

7771 Active Member

Find a few older Bt 99's best trap gun youll ever buy and you can find them for as low as 700.
    Best of luck, Tommmy

13. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

870 Trap, TB or TC. Used ones are reasonable, they last forever and a good pad and vest will take care of most recoil issues unless you are very sensitive. My first one, a TB with 30" trap full, went over 350,000 rounds before developing a small crack in the reciever, which I replaced, and the remainder grafted on. It is now still going after two more years and the original barrel still smokes the birds when I'm on. I also have my brother's TC with a Mod Trap barrel and until you get back to 22 or 23 yards, I can tell no difference.

I have an 1100 for backup and for my wife, when she does shoot.

14. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Basics: There are 3 different guns to consider. First is the single barrel gun that has no magazine, shoots one shell at a time, and is fine for singles and handicap but will never ever work for doubles or games where two shots are permitted. Next is the over/under that has two barrels and will permit you to shoot singles or any other game where two shots are permitted. Last is the single barrel with a magazine that will permit you to load at least 2 shells in a magazine and operates as a pump or auto-loader and they will also permit you to shoot any event where up to 2 shots are permitted.

If you buy the first gun, single shot, you will, someday, start wondering about the other games and need to have two guns or replace the first purchase. If you choose the O/U, auto, or pump, you will be able to "test drive" any of the clay target games before any additional investment. In my opinion, the O/U, pump, or auto-loader is the sensible first gun for anyone to start with and you should be able to have such an animal of reasonable quality for from $400 to $2000 in your first investment.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

15. jm1079

jm1079 Well-Known Member

You cannot go wrong with a used 1100 or 11-87. Resale value is excellent IF and when you decide to move on to other guns. JM

16. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

A Remington 1100 Trap model or a Browning BT-99. If your boys are young, might want to go with the 1100 due to the reduced recoil.

Mark

p.s. It was mentioned before but dont waste yor money on a field/sporting model 1100. If you think your going to use it for other sports get a differnt gun, like the Beretta 391.

17. coho

coho Member

for now shoot whatever you have or can borrow then once you get to know people see if you can start shooting theirs. i started out with an mossberg 835 couldnt get any more than 15 i then shot a guys 1100 and shot a 24. so i stole my dads 1100 and bought a 34 inch hastings barrel for it. then decided to have an adjustable comb put on it. i sold the mossberg to a guy who couldnt hit anything with my 1100 but he shot the 835 really well so you just have to see what fits you.

18. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Dick-

Is that Steve Schmidt Racing out in Indianapolis?

The best bang for your buck trap gun that you could buy is a BT99. Easy to come buy and not very expensive. Easy to get worked on, find parts, etc. and you can sell them for what you paid.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.