1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

which gun?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jbmOU, May 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbmOU

jbmOU Member

I am going to purchase a new gun for my mom, who wants to get into trapshooting. I have narrowed my selection down to 3 choices: berretta 391, remington 1100 or remington 870. She does not like recoil, and I do not have a lot of money to spend. which one would you pick and why.

thanks, jamie

2. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

1100 for sure, very low recoil and initial cost, easy to maintain. Best regards, Ed (870 will kick way too much, berreta recoils and costs more)

3. jimbotrap

jimbotrap TS Member

We have used Baretta almost exclusively for our SCTP Junior program. No problems whatsoever. They are lighter in the barrel than 100's and therefore are much easier to handles for youths and women. - Jim

4. famill00

famill00 TS Member

1100...even if it breaks its cheap!

5. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Jamie: If you would opt to purchase a used gun; I would go with the Beretta. Maybe a "tad" more in price, but in my opinion, less maintenance. I don't know how big your Mom is; but Beretta makes a semi-auto that is "geared" toward the female and/or Junior shooter. I believe it is the Model 3901. Good Luck. Ed

6. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

7. hubcap

hubcap TS Member

I've got over 10,000 trouble free rounds downrange with my Beretta 391. Easy to clean and low maintenance. (I changed the recoil spring at 5,000 rounds) Soft shooting.

Hubcap

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

If it's recoil your worried about then it has to be the 1100. Plenty of used ones out there. I believe a new Classic Trap 1100 can be purchased for a little over $700.

9. Kingbang

Kingbang TS Member

While I respect those that like the Beretta 391? That gun cost me Rookie in Oregon 2 years back. Ive seen others that have problems especially in doubles with them not cycling the 2nd round.At the same time the 1100 is a pain to clean, but parts are cheap,lots of after market stuff available easily.I shot the Bennelli and dropped the last bird in singles only because this gun was so easy to move compared to my 3200 I just fell asleep.Its alot more money but I think it bridges the gap having the abilty to shoot trap or clays.....But im not a clay shooter Ive done it twice. You can get a sweet 1100 trap for 5-600 bucks. Thats what my wife learned to shoot.
    JMHO

Dennis

10. fearlessfain

fearlessfain TS Member

funny how a lot of makers are always trying to crack the 1100 market.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

She really needs to have the opportunity to try between the two auto-chuckers. There are many here who say the 1100 has the lightest recoil of all autos while folks like me feel they are quite heavy in recoil. The same difference with the Berettas. If at all possible, I'd insist she try several possibilities even off a for sale rack at a shoot, and I believe one will pop out as the one she wants. If it must be blind, I'd go for the 391 Beretta....breakemall.....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.