1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which gun?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BARTMAN, Sep 4, 2013.

BARTMAN TS Member

Feb 23, 2007
    I would like to buy a nice trap gun but the top brands are out of my league. Between a Browning synergy combo or a Berretta combo. Maybe like Etchens custom order. Which would you choose?
  2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    SE PA
    Bartman, in all honesty, I would not buy either. Been there; done that. I like all my barrels and chokes to shoot to the same POI. That is very, VERY unlikely with the two you suggest.

Given your budget, I'd drop the combo and look for a better O/U. Personally, I'd prefer to buy a used version of one of the "nice" trap guns you covet. Then I'd be able to test fire it and make sure the barrels were regulated properly, and at least some of the choke tubes shot to the same POI. If it was only to be used for ATA trap, I'd go with fixed chokes and a selectable trigger.
  3. Hookedonshooting

Hookedonshooting TS Member

Mar 22, 2013
    Save your money. Get yourself a nice Model 12. Points great, easy to shoot, and generally can get one for 700-800$. And they are tanks. Im a converted high $ gun guy myself. And NO ONE will look down on you for shooting. Every high $ guy shooter has at least one m12 in their safe. Also, i have a 20g Cynergy i use for skeet. Great gun but not sure it will hold up over the long haul due to the way the pivot is made. Its pivot is in the walls of the receiver, new design better?? time will tell. I can see it wearing down the road and get a little sloppy.
  4. 548

548 Guest

I bought a new Joel Etchens combo last year. It is a very nice gun you would be very happy with and judging from the sales on this site, it holds it's value reasonably well. As with anything, the first buyer takes the biggest hit. Having said that, If I knew then what I know now, I would have saved a thousand dollars and just bought the 682E. Then put a precision fit stock on it.
  5. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Apr 28, 2006
    NW Wisconsin
    I know of several folks that bought the Browning combos. 2 of which won state singles titles after one year with the guns. Numerous of our jr shooters are shooting 682Es, winning, and at the 27 yard line. You cannot go wrong and all guns require an adjustment period. All that said, the best value and bang for your buck, and more guys shooting winning scores are with the venerable Perazzi MX15. You can buy one for $42 to $4500, and keep your eye out for a O/U to add later. Some lower to regular rib bbls match up fairly well. Lotta MX15s get sold and traded because there are a lot out there shooting. Been around for 15 years and still selling new ones.