1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which gun - Where to start?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 23andmoving, Jul 17, 2013.

1. 23andmoving

23andmoving TS Member

Jul 17, 2013
    Looking to move to another gun, but which one. Krieghoff, Beretta, Perazzi, Kolar, Blazer???? I don't know.

Beretta 682 Gold E, DT10? Perazzi ???

$3500.00, 5,500.00, 6,600.00, 8,000.00, $10,000.00

Is a $5,500.00 Beretta DT-10 as good as a $6,500.00 Blazer as good as a $8,000.00 Kolar as a $8,000.00 Perazzi?

My head is spinning. I've handled them all and I like them. I know I want a combo gun and I like the Blazers as well as I like the CG's.

I am so confused.

That is not a small amount of change to spend.

2. kcbullets

kcbullets Member

Mar 18, 2012
    I don't think all of those guns mentioned can be compared apples to apples, but all of them are quality guns. That being said, whichever one that when you mount it, you think "wow that is sweet". GET YOUR MINDS OUT OF THE GUTTER. If money was no object for me, I'd buy the K gun. But I have a CG and love it.

SPACE GUN Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Galena ohio
    I would go Kolar if you have the $$$ my two cents
  4. Sevin

Sevin TS Member

Dec 30, 2010
    I think it matters what sport you will shoot. If you shoot all ATA trap, no skeet, no SC, no International Skeet, then buy a trap gun. If you are shooting at clays but plan on hunting with your gun you may want something different. I have shot lots of rounds and other than a cracked stock on my Browning, and a broken spring on the Perazzi, I would say a used MX-8, 30 inch barrels, adjustable comb, mobile chokes is the way to go, just my 2 cents. Any new gun will depreciate, so save some money and buy used.
  5. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms TS Supporters TS Supporters

Nov 11, 2010
    About 40 miles west of Chicago, IL
    Having had a similar concern, I began by thinking I'd prefer something "Made in the USA". That certainly limited the options. As I already have a Beretta 682 Gold e I could also start with "Italian Made". For now, though, I'll stick with USA made and see what shakes out in Sparta.

Larry Frieders |

Grandpa's Arms, Inc. |

340 Marshall Ave #100 | Aurora, IL 60506 |
    Monday through Friday, 9am to 5pm |
    Office: 630.859.0333 Cell: 630.992.7513 FAX: 630.859.0114
  6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You said a "combo gun". Are you intending on shooting doubles, bunker, sporting clays and/or skeet?
  7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Fit is more important than any other feature for shooting performance.

That being said; buy the best used gun you can afford and have it altered to fit you. Custom stocks are nice and work best but they will cost more than $1500 so if a gun is close and you can have it altered and refinished a quality used gun will be the best buy. Unless you can steal one stay away from the less popular brand combos since their long term value retention will probably be considerably less than a K or P gun.

DT-10's are very good guns as long as you are not planning on shooting a release.

Blausers shoot good and have good triggers but long term values are a real?

The CG is alot of gun for the money and are backed for life.

there are a few old K-80 logo guns that can be found as combos for around $6500 perhaps a bit less.

If I had to choose today between a blauser and a CG I'd take the CG Blauser's managment has changed about 3 times in the last year so I'd go to CG if service was important.

Remember that with any current production gun CG Blauser K-32 K-80 perazzi you can always buy an O/u and shoot it for everything untill you save and then buy an unsingle to make up your combo.
  8. John55

John55 Active Member

Aug 8, 2006
    Probably no bad choices, some just better than others depending on what you want. Good used Perazzi MX/10 combo will be priced close to what a new CG combo is, K80 combos typically more. Several friends have CGs and all shoot them very well, they are nicely finished and feel good in the hands. Are they up to the level of quality and longevity of P and K guns...time will tell. Blasers are another story and while nice looking I think a CG is a much better buy.
  9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2007
    What ever you buy, don't forget to keep enough 'fun money' so that you can get out and shoot. An active season of shooting will cost you around $5K for target fees and ammo.

FWIW, you can't go wrong with the Beretta 682 combo and will have zero investment risk if you buy a decent used gun. Later on if you really want to get into a higher end gun, the Beretta will be good trading stock and take a lot of the pain out of the upgrade.
  10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Northampton PA
    Find a nice used K-80 combo. You'll end up there anyway sooner or later!!
  11. mette56

mette56 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2008
    Camdenton, MO
    gunfitter has it right. If the gun doesn't fit or shoot where you look, or kicks...no amount of gun quality can take up that slack. Most shooters are fairly easy to fit, IMO. Some are very difficult to fit. Smaller people are more difficult along with long necks and other out-of-the-norm bodily anomolies. IMO, there are very, VERY few gunfitters who can get out of the normal mode for the abnormal human physique. If you have a normal physique, you probably don't need a gunfitter. Most guns off the rack will come close. If it feels good, doesn't kick and shoots where you look...buy it.
    With that, you have made the right decision...regardless of "Which Gun".

uncle miltie
  12. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Buy the best the first time around. In my book that's an Alfermann!
  13. mooster1223

mooster1223 Member

Jul 11, 2012
    I really think the best place to start is to tell us where you live. If there are members near, they will most likely let you try out their guns. The guns you have listed will last you a lifetime so, you might as well get something YOU LIKE.

Personally, I can't stand the looks of the K guns. I don't like anything about the CG's (would rather just have a B. Rizinni). I like the feel of the P guns but, I shoot SC's and wanted to be able to shoot all of the sub gauges without the added aggravation of putting tubes in a carrier barrel. I ended up with a Blaser with all 4 barrels and couldn't be happier. Some people cringe when you mention Blaser but for ME it was the right choice.

As mentioned above, once you find what you like, look at the used market. There are deals out there for any shotgun since some people just have to get the latest and greatest thinkamajig on the market.

Ultimately, if the gun fits, practice and confidence will break the birds.
  14. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

Feb 23, 2010
    I don't believe you can buy the gun you will want the first time out. For that reason buy a good used gun you can use for a while then buy another you will find your gun after a few trials. Buy adjustable comb stocks you will not get back modification cost. You will be able to sell the used guns so it will not cost you a lot buying new will take shooting money away unless money is not a problem. I have went through several trap guns now I shoot Perazzi for the most part. I will say this about brands it is a personal thing I like the looks of some guns better than others. A quality gun that is fits you will get the job done. Shoot and enjoy the good times and friends. Tom
  15. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    All the major brands build good quality products, there's no junk, the marketplace won't allow it. Buying a gun is liken to a car purchase, looks, feel, performance, comfort, reliability and cost all come into play. Higher cost is not neccesarily the path to better quality as many would like to believe.

The important features are fit which leads to comfort, poi to assure the gun shoots where you look, this is where adjustable combs and ribs make sense when making a purchase.