1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which gun - old or new and why ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Jul 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

So - I've decided to take some money out of a savings account that is earning 1% interest ( which is about even with the current rate of inflation ) and buy another gun. The Krieghoff K20 seems to get very good reviews and would have universal appeal to a casual skeet shooter, sporting clays shooter, or a remote chance to be used for a hunting gun.

. . . . or since I've always lusted for a Browning Midas grade over/under or something similar that will be fun to shoot and get some ooh ahh's from my shooting buddies thought about one of those. Outstanding wood has always been a weakness and I kind of have an affinity for some gold "chickens", borders or similar so whatever I get will have to fulfill those requirements.

I'm kind of tired of my usual habit of buying retail and selling wholesale so I am leaning toward the K20 which should have good market acceptance re: resale. If I buy a unique gun like the Midas Browning, engraved Model 42 or Super X, etc they will be great firearms but I will believe will suffer in resalability.

Do I go for the most "logical" purchase which is the K20 or listen to the voice in my head that says go with something really unique ? This won't be a gun that I will keep forever as I have no kids who show any interest in carrying on the shooting legacy in the family. Would like to have the fun of shooting the gun for awhile and then selling on the open market. Will make the assumption that I don't "steal" whatever it is I purchase but at least make a market average purchase. When you get past plain utility but aren't stupid rich either - which direction do you take ?

What'ya think ?

2. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I can not afford really high grade trap guns. But what I have always done is purchase 870's tc's, all americans, and D grades. These guns are easier to sell than others. Next year I plan to purchase a mint TM1, Mint old style bt99 prior to 1976, and hopefully a pigeon grade model 12.
    Steve Balistreri

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

How often in life have you really treated yourself? If you haven't indulged in yourself every once in a while do the stupid thing and go for the gold birds. Bulge.

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If you want to have fun shooting it, then shoot it before you buy it. That way you can buy the one that shoots good for you. One that is user friendly and breaks alot of targets. HMB

5. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

The K-gun is the way to go---They last a life time and will always have a good resale value if kept in good shape---gL---sjb---

6. 4EVRYOUNG

4EVRYOUNG Member

Being a Winchester NUT I would go 42 or 12 with Gold. But sounds like you want the K gun and a very sound choice and your money will be in a savings acount that you can enjoy. Jeff

7. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

Dupont will send you any K gun to try.

Personally i like the 28ga K-20 a lot..

ernie

8. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I really wouldn't go into this looking at any gun as an "investment", especially one that you plan to shoot. You might be disappointed.

Much more knowledgeable people than me have made this point very well on this site, and they are correct.

If you want a "new" gun to shoot and enjoy, I would buy whatever appeals to your heart, not your head.

If you want the Browning Midas "experience", I would go for that. It will make you happy for a little while, then, like the rest of us, you will want something else.

bluedsteel

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

buy the gun you love, resale will not be a issue. I have guns that will never be worth much more than I paid and a few that have increased in value BUT the guns I really love will never be sold anyways.

10. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

Buy a Winchester 21 Trap

11. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

A firearm is only worth owning if it holds up to what you demand of it and if YOU can hit with it.

Price and unique has nothing to do with anything.

Just my $.02

12. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Try the K20. I love mine. If you shoot some sporting and some upland, you'll really like it.

13. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

There are used ones out there.

14. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I have been in your position and can relate to your issues. I have been fortunate to have owned some very nice trap guns ranging from K-guns to ljutic, to Perazzi's, etc. The one gun I have ALWAYS lusted for was a really nice, factory stock Perazzi MX3 Special Combo. Well, at 65 years of age I finally told myself the heck with it, I was going to find one and pay whatever it took to make it mine. I found one just a few months ago, paid an arm and a leg for it, and have not looked back. I have what I want and I'm happy. I, too, have kids that aren't too interested in the shooting sports so the gun's I have will mean nothing to them. No big deal to me. I bought the gun "I" wanted to have and shoot. I bought it for me and no one else.... What happens to it after I'm gone doesn't mean a thing to me..... What matters to me is that I have it NOW and I'm enjoying the heck out of it..... Just my experience... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.