1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Grinding Wheel for my Bench Grinder???

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Easystreet, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I've got an old Black & Decker bench grinder with 6" wheels at 3600 rpm. I've had this for about 25 to 30 years. I rarely use it.

Anyway, today I was trying to use it for a little project of shaping some 1/4" plate aluminum. I thought it would be a piece of cake...... WRONG!

According to the Instruction Manual which I still have, one wheel is a medium (60 grit) wheel and the other is a coarse (36 grit wheel). Neither of them did much as far as removing any material.

What kind of wheel do I need? Any advice or suggestions?

Thanks,

Easystreet

2. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

First, grinding alum. is not a easy chore, I would use the coarse wheel and use plenty of wd40 to keep the wheel from loading up, it has a very low melting point and will clog the wheel quickly, If you dont have a diamond dresser to clean the wheel with after a little use take a piece of steel and grind it until the wheel is free of alum.. keeping the work piece cool will help also. good luck!

3. Easystreet

I never knew you were supposed to used WD-40 while grinding. Also, I never thought about cleaning off the wheel, but that makes sense. Would a wire brush do the cleaning job?

Thanks,

Easystreet

4. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Your much better off using a disc, or belt sander for your project.

5. grummanflyr

grummanflyr TS Member

Sounds like a great way to get hurt.Grinding aluminum will load up the wheel and the heat could cause it to fracture and come at YOU in pieces...
    3M makes a special scotchbrite grinding wheel that's designed to grind aluminum. They work really well but they are pretty spendy ( about $60 for a 6" wheel, see the link above ) .I'm an aircraft mechanic and I use one all the time for deburring aluminum parts.
    You also don't want to use a wire brush on aluminum as the steel will leave small bits embedded in the aluminum and later those bits will rust leaving pock marks in your aluminum. A belt sander with aluminum oxide paper will also work to shape an aluminum piece. Walt

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

cutting soft metals with a vitrious grinding wheel is asking for trouble. The heat and pressure from the clogged pores in the wheel can cause the wheel to dissentegrate.

Jim

7. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Please use a Belt Sander it,s Alot safer .

8. Easystreet

Thanks for all the comments. When doing the grinding, I kept the material moving constantly so that I wasn't grinding on the same spot for long.

I don't have a belt sander. As for a disk sander, please pardon my ignorance, but do I have to buy a special tool for that or can I put some kind of disk on my power hand drill?

Thanks again for the advice.

Easystreet

9. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I do my own pads and butt plats and paid for my Belt Sander on the third plat/pad . You can,t do a good/safe job without the right tool . The first time you try to eat that grinding wheel think about that 80 bucks you saved .

Sears has a fair Belt Sander for around 80 bucks .

10. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

If you are going to do more than the one little project you will need a sander..I grind aluminum all the time with a 6" angle grinder, mainly grinding V's on parts that are broken people bring to me to heliarc..

11. racer

racer TS Member

Easystreet- you'll put an eye out! No aluminum in grinding wheels. Dan

12. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

This is a good thread for a lot of us. Ignorance can get us in a lot of trouble. Thanks guys, Bob

13. WYBOO WOOD

WYBOO WOOD Member

I am surprised that noone on any of the previous threads mentioned the most important subject when grinding anything on any rotary tool Wear at least substantial goggles or a full face shield! Dave Hunt

14. Catpower

Catpower Molon Labe TS Supporters

Don't know if they make them for bench grinders, but if you have an angle grinder, Norton Gemini series of grinding wheels makes one specifly for grinding aluminum, they run about $5-6 each you can get them at Grainger or most industrial supply houses, and they won't load up, and do a good job of cutting

15. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Harbor Freight has a good belt sander for under $100, thats what you really need to do the job right ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

16. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I'd take a chance with the B&D bench grinder before I would a harbor freight belt sander..hahaha..lol..

17. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

This is not a $100 belt sander($1800), but it IS what you need. Also use a 100 grit belt.

If you have more than 1/16" of material to remove, then bandsaw off the excess. A wood cutting bandsaw will work fine for aluminum.

Not shown in the picture is a dust collector with a 5 micron filter. If you sand or grind aluminum without a collector, PLEASE use a dust mask.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cant grind aluminum with a bench grinder

does a black & decker bench grinder have right hand threads

which grinding wheel bench grinder forum