1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which GPS to BUY

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Blakester, Jul 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

I know this is not shooting related but I need a GPS to find these backaway clubs I know some of you guys have these in there vehicle what works good, just need something simple with good size screen...... Ricky

2. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

The Garmin 550 street pilot doesn't have the slim profile of the Nuvis but is less than $200.00 and it has blue tooth. Meaning that if your cell phone is blue tooth compatible then you can synch your phone to the gps; this is a one time process that only takes a minute or so. So from then on when your gps is on and your cell phone is on and stuck in your pocket or belt or wherever you keep your cell phone when you drive the GPS will automatically detect it.

Now the beauty is that there is a phone button on the GPS screen. You hit the button and then you can just speak a voice command like . . . Call John. If you have more than one number for john then the gps will talk to you and say which number. You can then say mobile and bam it dials it for you and you can talk through your gps.

In fact your entire phone book is transmitted to the GPS and if you don't want to use the voice feature, you can just scroll through the numbers on the touch screen of the GPS.

The Nuvi's probably are all blue tooth compatible. I haven't checked, just letting you know what the Street pilot 550 will do.

I think there are pros and cons to all the brands. I know one drawback with the Garmins is the fact that to update maps you have to pay like 90.00 or so and the update is off information that is already a couple years old.

I don't know how many times I have tried to find a Target or Wal-Mart etc. only to show up at a vacant building because a SUPER TARGET OR SUPER WALMART, etc. was built last year and is not in the GPS.

And also with the addition of so many housing additions etc. over the past 3 years I know there are times that the GPS shows me driving in a field with no roads even though I obviously am not.

I don't know about other brands but the Garmin I have at least has a quirk that sometimes the directions make no sense. For instance it will say turn left at Main Street and then you go two blocks and it has you do a "U" turn to go the other way.

They are a huge help, but they are not perfect, you just have to pay attention to what is telling you to do and then make sure that it makes sense. My Garmin loves to tell me to go the wrong way down one way streets because it doesn't know the street is one way.

I have heard good things about the Tom Tom gps or whatever they are called but have never personally used one.

A buddy of mine has a Magellan and likes it. Probably like most things, you can't go wrong with a Garmin, Magellan, TomTOm, etc. The more you pay, the bigger the screen you get, the smaller overall profile and the additional features like the blue tooth or live traffic navigation to get you around traffic jams in the big cities. I think that requires a monthly subscription though.

Hope that helps.

Here a couple links . . .

http://www.nextag.com/Garmin-Street-Pilot-c550-502173287/prices-html?nxtg=e360a1c0528-B72EFECE0D0A0D0C

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

I second the Street Pilot c550. It's easy to use. does everything for you. Can't praise it enough. Daughter has the nuvi and it is blue tooth compatible but the screen is smaller. I like the bigger screen because the eyes aren't what they used to be.Hope this helps, Mike

4. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I have a Nuvi 650. It was my first trip into GPS for the car, I love mine.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I bought the NUVI 250W (Larger Widescreen) it provides voice commands, but not street names and its a dynamite portable unit the road (but can be used on foot/boat). Bought it on eBay earlier this year as a refurb unit from an authorized Garmin dealer with full warranty at a bargain price.

The problem you may run into is that clubs that don't advertise or have a phone listing, may not come up in the cross reference of the GPS library.

I like the NUVI because in addition to a name search, I can input an address or an intersection of 2 streets. I like the ETA feature and the ability to set for either shortest time or travel distance.

Recently I used the "points of interest" feature to locate all the WalMarts on a recent drive around Chicago's Metro area and they all popped up with their phone numbers, it was very easy to call and ask who sold ammo and did they have any $5 shells(LOL)?! Definitely usable for shooting related tasks!

Jay

6. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

Thanks guys, I also need the bigger screen, I'm diffently going to buy one, I borrowed one from my friend on vacation and it was great, I kept trying to get lost and it would get me home every time..... Thanks Again; Blake

7. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I also have a garmin Nuvi 660 . It is very easy to use and will get you anywhere you want to go.

8. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

I received an email Friday from Amazon.com regarding a "blow out" sale on GPS units. Might give them a look. They have some amazing prices at times.

RA

9. ke4yyd

ke4yyd Member

I have owned several Garmin units and they are great. I bought a Lorance a few months ago and it is bigger, better maps and lower in price. If you like a big screen consider the Lowrance IWay 600C. It has a 5 inch screen vs 4.3 on the wide screen Nuvi's. Its navigation system is similar. One of the better features is the "via" system which allows one to modify a computed route as desired. Another important feature for me is the Lowrance maps are more detailed with rivers, streams lakes and ponds. The 600C also has marine maps and satellite imaging.

The URL is a nice review of the 500C which was a predacessor of the 600C. The web site also has nice reviews of other units.

http://gpsinformation.net/

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

I like my Tom Tom. Updating of maps is free.

I have the el cheapo XL One 3rd Generation - $150. It is good enough for me.

Don

11. Gunnerandbabe

Gunnerandbabe TS Member

Tom Tom has Canada in it to. Not Garmin.

12. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

You might also try these guys. I've bought 2 different units from them and am highly satisfied.

13. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

When my Street Pilot 330 went bust after 2 years, Garmin replaced it with a brand new unit at no cost.

14. capnrico

capnrico TS Member

I bought the one for my tub from gpsdiscount.com

No regrets! They had the best price and shipped it fast.

15. Harold

Harold TS Member

I recently bought a Garmin Nuvi 200 which was on sale at Radio Shack for $150. In my opinion, this will do whatever you need, and anything more is just gingerbread. Of course, if you like gingerbread and can afford it, go for it.

I got the regular size screen and don't have much trouble reading the display. Not that you really need to with the voice commands. My eyesight is not good. If I can read it, anybody capable of seeing a trap target should have no trouble. The smaller unit is easier to stick in your shirt pocket or your wife's purse when you get out of the car. You don't want to leave it in there.

16. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

Yal my Garmin has Canada in it as well . . .

17. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Garmin Nuvi 680 or 780 or higher. I have the 680 Nuvi and it is easy to use. I like the MSN weather and traffic reports.

18. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

Can you see the screen on a G P S in the daylight hours with the sun shining?

19. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

NOT Audiovox or Jenson (which is the Audiovox). I got one at Christmas as a present, and immediately registered it at the Audiovox website. The color screen went bad three months later. Audiovox would not honor their warranty without the original purchase receipt. They do not recognize their own product registration!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.