1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

which GPS to buy

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by cubancigar2000, Jul 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

This has been covered on here before but technology advances every day so - I am in the market for a GPS and would like to hear from anyone with advice

2. neofight

neofight TS Member

It depends somewhat on what you intend to use it for. Some have better features than others, better mapping, nav options, etc. If you are just doing some Geo-caching, just about any of the modern units will work fine.

I still have my old GarminV that i used to use for Geo-caching and it now is my back-up unit on the boat.If you have over 40 eyes, you might consider getting the largest screen possible so you can read the numbers easily, especially if you happen to fall while on a hike, break your glasses and find yourself in unfamiliar territory. Having a pair of back-up glasses could be a good thing too.

Garmin and Magellan have been my favorites over the years, but i'm certain someone here can chime in with more current experiences with other makes as well.

3. neofight

neofight TS Member

It depends somewhat on what you intend to use it for. Some have better features than others, better mapping, nav options, etc. If you are just doing some Geo-caching, just about any of the modern units will work fine.

I still have my old GarminV that i used to use for Geo-caching and it now is my back-up unit on the boat.If you have over 40 eyes, you might consider getting the largest screen possible so you can read the numbers easily, especially if you happen to fall while on a hike, break your glasses and find yourself in unfamiliar territory. Having a pair of back-up glasses could be a good thing too.

Garmin and Magellan have been my favorites over the years, but i'm certain someone here can chime in with more current experiences with other makes as well.

4. 45ACP

45ACP Member

Whatever you decide, DO NOT buy a NAVIGON. It is the worst GPS because of their lack of support. I used it one time on a trip, (very poor directions). I finally find the hotel on my own. So I went to the web site for an update and was told they no longer support the model. It was only four months old.

I now have a TomTom, which the support has been fantastic. I have friends that have Magellans and Garmins they are satisfied with. Good Luck.

Bill

5. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

Like neofight said, it depends on your purpose. GPSs are available for aviation purposes, boating purposes, driving purposes and hiking purposes. For any of these Garmin is good and outsells all the others by a wide margin.

6. cubancigar2000

I will be using it to travel & also would like to take it into the woods when I mushroom hunt

7. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Lou, My wife and I have had 4 so far. My older Garmin I gave to a friend.I have a newer thin Garmin in my suv mounted on my air vent. My wife had a new tom tom but liked the way my Garmin worked. It is more user friendly than the tom tom (for her). If you would like a newer Tom Tom a year ago for $129. I asked her and she would sell it to you for $60 delivered.It has all the cords manual and everything you need. Bulge.

8. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You can have an intelligent conversation with a Garmin. Recalculating. HMB

9. cubancigar2000

Mike - I sent a PM

10. hwy13

hwy13 Member

Hello Cuban Cigar 2000,

I purchased the Garmin nuvi 1490 T in Jan 2011, the T is for traffic
    mode while driving, it will warn about slowdowns & bottlenecks
    ahead " if there is a tower in the area " it works 90% of the time
    around the bigger city's. You can push avoid to go around.
    It has a pedestrian mode if you want to carry it in your pocket while
    walking, it has 5 inch screen, I think it is a very good unit.

11. twcpdc

twcpdc Member

Garmin Now have my second one for me one for the wife. Tom

12. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Get a Garmin with Lifetime Map updates. Without the updates, they are not worth it to upgrade.

13. Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio Member

My buddy that I go out west with has a Garmin eTrex the little blue one. But I not sure that they make that model any more. Anyway its got us out of some place that we would have never found are way out of with out it.

I would say the Garmin models would be the best one to look in to John.
    Also Garmin has life time map updates offer with some models.

14. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I've been a Garmin fan since my very basic eTrex (yellow), which I still use for my dove plots/deer stand/on-water fishing holes...

I've only used the more basic Garmins in the car 250W and 255W. I buy them refurbished and cheap, then gave the 250W when I went to the 255W... The only reason I gave away the 250W was for the updated mapping of the I55/355 interchange bringing 355 online to the Chicago Metro area... no other issue with significant changes in maps or "points of interest"...

I kept the 250W for four years without any operational issues - the maps link and transition very well. The 255W works great here, took it down to Alabama and just got back from Florida... traveling from Ft. Lauderdale to Orlando to South Beach...

Years ago when WalMart was closing out on AA/STS shells for $5 (remember that?!) I put in WalMart and as I cruised down the road, called them all to see who had what!

While I don't update, I've heard from others that updating can taking HOURS... someone chime in on that subject...

regards all,

Jay

15. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Updating a Garmin usually takes a half hour or less, if I remember correctly. You download the files and the program does the rest.

16. shootsun

shootsun TS Member

I am not trying to be negative at all but if you have any of the smartphones out there you can download an App that does the same thing as a GPS and it's free!

Shane

17. cubancigar2000

I have a Blackberry snart phone and I can download maps but not gps. Thx to all of you and especially Mike for the offer. I ended up with a Garmin 1490 LMT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.