1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Digital Editing Program ??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by roger8918, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. roger8918

roger8918 Member

I have nothing to compare with as I have used PhotoShop exclusively for many years but If you are moving to a "pro" model camera I would recommend that you consider moving up to the "pro" software also.

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I've been using Adobe Photoshop Elements 6.0. substantially less than a full photoshop. You can use many of the photoshop features. Also, serif photoplusx2 and any of the ACDSee stuff is adequate.

JC

3. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

Photoshop Elements has most of the features, smaller price, and smaller learning curve than many professional versions. Most NORMAL people never really use all of the complex features a professional version of Photoshop offers. Many photographers/graphic artist still use a Photoshop version. IMHO Omaha

4. chuckles

chuckles Member

It really does depend on how far you want to take your photo manipulation,,,I use both DSLR and a couple of Point & Shoots and I have Adobe PS Elements but for just simple photo enhancement I use the standard photo programs that come bundled with Windows, it is more than adequate.

It is not as much the camera as it is your creativity that will ultimately decide your needs.

I do a lot of slide shows and Windows is fine for that as much as cropping, color balance, saturation, red eye, balance goes...

I also do a lot of Collage work where cut and paste, feathering and color dithering is useful, again Windows simple program....

"Windows Photo Gallery" comes bundled with Windows Vista and is very adequate...

Windows XT use to have a program called "Photo It" which is the best I have ever used...

Windows 98 too old and too long ago...

Macintosh easily the best in the world for such programs but been out of Macs for 12 years now....

If you want to get into layering, patterns, custom art work, filters... you will need to advance to at minimum PS Elements...

Any good bookstore will have at least a zillion books on the subject...but experimentation will be the final judge...

regards

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Go to E bay and look for an older version of Photoshop. It will have all the features that you can use ... and they are a lot cheaper than the newest version.

6. SwannyinMinn.

SwannyinMinn. TS Member

As someone who does ALOT of nature/bird photography, I would highly recommend the latest version of photoshop CS3, NOT the earliest version of Photoshop! There are so many improvements it is impossible to list here...especially in the RAW converter. Depending on the type of photography you are pursuing, you will only use a fraction of the options. But some important ones only come in the later versions.

I would also highly recommend Ellen Anon's book Photoshop for Nature Photographers', if that is the route you are going. It is very useful for that genre, and will help you get the most out of the program. It really helps you set up your user preferences very well.

There is also no substiute for experience in regards to post processing. You will just have to give it a whirl to see what works. Finding a good forum to critique you on composition, processing, etc. would also help. But please have a thick skin....it is a little painful at first.

I would also recommend shooting in camera RAW, as it is easer to make adjustments to as you go through the processing workflow. Though there are alot of ways to make a shot better, it is always best to get it right in camera. Knowing your exposures, sunny 16 rule, when to add/subtract light, DOF, rule of 1/3rds in comp., etc.

You also might want to try some of the add-on programs for sharpening (which are better tan PS), noise reduction, and introduction of the file to PS with the Breezebrowser add-ons. they work pretty slick.

Feel free to PM me with more questions if you like.

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

GIMP....It's free and has a lot of solid features. Photoshop is WAY overpriced.

8. BMC

BMC Member

I used Photoshop since PS4. Photo editing has been part of my job description for the better part of 15+ years. IMO Photoshop is one of the best things ever created by man. You will never use all of its potential. I've dabbled with some other freeware and more stripped down editing software and each has pros and cons. For general consumers some of them are much easier to use. There are more "push button to do this" type features. PS is and always has been a step up from consumer needs/wants.

Bill, if you are just wanting to sharpen, adjust colors, etc, many of the the ones mentioned are probably better suited for you. Elements is probably one of the better ones. Though I haven't used it, Gimp seems to get good comments frequently.

If you are wanting to be "creative" then PS and the unlimited number of plugins and filters available will give you that opportunity. I am not a big fan of CS3. I have both CS2 and 3 and I prefer 2. The shadow/highlights filter is worth the price of the software.

What you will find is that over time you will develop a workflow that achieves the results you want in four or five steps. Regardless of what software you end up using, after you've "played around" with all of the neat tricks you will resort to the fundemental workflow that is usually pretty simple. The better images you take, the less post processing you will end up doing.

9. SwannyinMinn.

SwannyinMinn. TS Member

Yeah...but being able to repair blown highlites in camera raw in CS3 was worth the price of admission for me! I upgraded just for that. Also, S&H is an adjustement, not a filter :)

10. BMC

BMC Member

Its an adjustment filter :)~
    There is no doubting the benifits of shooting in Raw. Works just as good in CS2 although it can be time consuming when you are processing 250+ images in one job. If your camera shoots in Raw + Jpeg all the better.

11. chuckles

chuckles Member

Bill good way to make slideshow of your Africa hunting pictures is to take digital pictures of your 35mm pictures, pay attention to lighting because flash, glare and reflection can be a problem.

regards

12. chuckles

chuckles Member

another picture of picture...

13. chuckles

chuckles Member

and another...I can't help myself.

14. SwannyinMinn.

SwannyinMinn. TS Member

I use RAW for nature and architechture. Not much else, unlese it is a portrait for someone. But I process in the few thousands when coming back from a trip. It is definitely time consuming, but worth it when you have your workflow down. Esp. in low light conditions under the rainforest canopy, concert, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.