1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which diesel to buy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Browning Man, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Browning Man

Browning Man TS Member

I am thinking of buying a diesel truck late this summer or this fall, pre-2007, or before all of the emission control systems. I might pull a gooseneck trailer once every three or four months but other than that just everyday driving. What do you recommend? Powerstroke (7.3 or 6.0), Cummins, or the Duramax. Which gets the best millage? The pros and cons of each truck.

2. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

I like the older 7.3 power stroke but they are tuff to find that haven't been worked hard.

They are loud and proud but a lot more trouble free than some of the newer designs.

3. H82MIS

H82MIS TS Member

another vote for the Duramax,,,best truck/engine I've ever owned,,,

4. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I was driving a friends Duramax pulling a small trailer ( two ATV's) and going up the summit in Washington back in 2003 or so. I was going 75 and here comes a Dodge Cummins pullling a very long 5th wheel. I stepped on it but the Dodge left me like I was going backwards. He had to be doing 100 uphill with a load. I was impressed. I am not an owner of a diesel truck but this was an experience that stuck with me.

5. 391 shooter

391 shooter Well-Known Member

Duramax with aftermarket chip. Bad to the bone

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

duramax- it goes in the best pickup- just keep that in mind

7. lumpys600

lumpys600 Member

I have a 7.3 ford. Best truck i've every had. A friend of mine is a ford mech. for 25 to 30 years. And swears the motors are bulletproof.

8. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Several thing to consider here:

07' GM product with Duramax and Allison transmission great combination. Not sure about fuel mileage.....

03' or Older Ford with 7.3 great, long lasting motors. Trouble free. Sold mine at 150,000 miles. Only thing I did was regular service and change fuel filter regularly. Hard to find in good shape that old.

Fords 6.0, run from it. lousy motor.

Now, Dodge with the Cummins. That motor will blister concrete. It's a serious hoss!!! Haven't found anything that will out pull it. If you're planning on pulling something that's your Kroger bargain right there. Only trouble it comes in a Dodge only. Once you buy that rascal, you own it. The only thing you can do to salvage your money is to trade back for another Dodge.

I just bought a 2008 F-450 dually with the 6.4 diesel and don't have many miles on it but hope it turns out to be as good as the 7.3 I had.

Hope this help.
    Dave

9. Bosco

Bosco TS Member

I had a 2004 6.0 Ford diesel. I turned it in under the Lemon Law.Too many problems to mention.I then purchased a 2008 6.4 Ford Diesel. Poor mileage.
    The older 7.3 Diesel is a real work horse. The only real problem I know of was with a cam positioner sensor. This was covered under a recall from Ford.
    Duramax with Allison transmission are another good consideration.
    You may check on Diesel Stop.com for more information.
    The new Diesel engines are equipped with DPF . Diesel Particult Filters.
    Not sure of the cost to replace them or at what time interval.

10. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

my votes for dodge i had an 01 got 21mpg sold it with 118k and only put front brakes on it a guy here at my work has 180k on his 03 not 1 issue the woods boys here in madison put 180k on every 2 yrs without a problem i have a non diesel superduty ford right now cant keep ball joints in them for nothing as far as chevy ive never had so many problems they were only 1/2 tons but after my 02 suburban it was last straw with them people say dodges eat trannys ive heard of and had alot more chevys with junk trannys by 70k and chevy cheaped out on newer alison tranny replaced metal gear with plastic to save 20 bucks saw this on trucks first thing they did with 08 was pull tranny and put older one in

11. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Dad and I had 30 foot travel trailers I had a dodge he had a ford. I have owned both as well. We matched our speed going uphill loaded I smoked him to the top of the hill after about a 50 mph start. He sold his Ford later that week and got a Cummins. That truck had over 330k on it when I sold it and had never had anything done other than an oil change. I'll take a Cummins over any of them.

12. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Buying a 12 valve Cummins with a 6 speed is a good setup for towing. Dodge has problems with their automatic transmissions. Duramax's have their issues with injectors. The 6.0 Fords (are still put into Econolines) have problems with stretched head bolts. Many head gasket problems can be traced back to people putting tuners on their trucks. I have seen all 3 makes with blown gaskets because of high turbo pressure. I have a Ford 7.3 and a 6.0 and never had any major issues. One thing is for sure when you buy a diesel, you have to keep up with the scheduled maintenance if you want to avoid costly repairs. Go to the Ford, Cummins, and Duramax forums and read what problems owners are encountering then decide whats best for you.

13. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I would go with a Cummins engine based on Marine experience. You never see Duramax or Ford diesel used on boats. Just imagine running your truck up hill its entire life, no coasting. Cummins engines hold up under the constant load of boats. They go way over 10000 hrs in the marine envirionment & that equates to about 1 million on the road miles. Transmissions are another guess.

Phil Berkowitz

14. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

2005 Duramax pulls a loaded 30 footer with more power than I need. 9 to 11 mpg towing and 18 to 22 with out trailer. Miledge varies depending on time of year and fuel mix. Had a factory hose clamp break at 40 m other than that no problems. Runs quiet. Post-2

15. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

check you PM feature I sent you some info.

16. drucker

drucker TS Member

Best of all worlds would be a duramax in a ford body.......love my duramax with 20 mpg and all power I need to pull my 5th wheel and 18 foot walleye boot up any hill at all sane speeds.....towing that combo 11 mpg....no problems at 40K+..............if you need more power add the chip...

17. 6913F

6913F TS Member

Duramax 2006 and older seems to get better mileage than newer ones. They are said to handle a chip better.

18. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Who makes the best diesel or any pickup is like asking what’s the best breed of hunting dog. I’ve been a Ford truck owner all my life and would obviously recommend a Superduty diesel, but not a 6.0 (6.4 is great). I own a 2003 F250sc 4x4 7.3 w/6 speed manual. Get 13.9 around town and 17.9 mpg freeway.
    I never have towed and the truck has 59k miles, I will be selling this spring to down size due to the pending financial punishment from Kalifornia EPA and DMV (emission and dmv fee’s). The best truck would be a Cummins powered Superduty if it were ever made.

Domenic

19. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

The older 7.3 Power Stroke gets my vote and look for a Super Chip dealer to install their product. I'm still equipped that way, an F 250 platform, and did haul 5th wheels around until, just in time, I got out of the last trailer in early '08. I don't like the tranny as well as the Allison but mine's managed to run flawlessly for 90 thousand miles and still posts 21 t o 22 MPG on the highway loaded for shoots but not towing.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

20. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

I have a 2006 Duramax crew cab long bed. It is the 360 hp, 6 speed Allison version. I've pulled the Speedbump trailer all over creation with it. All the power I ever need and then some. Smooth, QUIET, and gets 22 on the highway empty, 13-14 pulling the trailer. It's never made a hiccup in almost 50,000 miles.
    If I were buying a new truck, I d get another one just like it!!

Ken Rucker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.