1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which cross bow to buy ?

Discussion in 'Hunting' started by Doug Brown, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

I'm going to buy a cross bow for deer hunting. Seems they run from $300-$2500+. Looking for ideas on a decent one that won't break the bank. Thanks

2. Dustydoo

Dustydoo Active Member

The lighter the better ! If you carry any distance at all ! Even with a sling they seem awkward !Get a high quality scope as well ! For whitetails 175# is a good pull weight ! A cranck option would be very handy !

3. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

I hunted with a cross bow for a few years..........I'm sure the new airbow will be legal in most states soon.........that's what I would look at.

4. jwheeler

jwheeler Member

Ten Point crossbows are some of the best in the market.

GoldEx, llukesh, Larry C. and 1 other person thanked this.
  5. Dale R K

Dale R K Member

Ten Point with the crank cocking is nice. The TruGlo sight with four projected points works perfectly. Dale

GoldEx thanked this.
  6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I had two Parkers and recommend them highly. I bought the first one, 150-pound Terminator, because of the trigger - Parkers have a linkage that increases the trigger's leverage on the string hook. You have to remember that the hook will have 150 or more pounds of string pressure bearing upon it and pulling it down to release the string makes for a high trigger pull weight unless there is some sort of linkage that reduces that effort. The Parker representative with whom I met described the trigger as "rifle-like" and it was good descriptive. Crossbows are very rifle-like bows and as with a firearm, the trigger is important to accuracy. I harvested all three deer at which I shot with it.

I bought the second one, a 165-pound Tornado, because of how much I liked my older one. The newer one offered some new features I liked plus was even lighter than the old one, which was lighter than any other bow I looked at (in fairness, there was one or two I wasn't able to shoot). The Tornado weighs just eight pounds with optics and quiver and the camo finish has a "soft" feel to it. I never took the Tornado hunting as my shoulder problem worsened to the point where I couldn't draw it without pain even with the cocking rope that comes with it.

I went with a three-dot optic instead of a scope because at archery ranges, magnification isn't of value and I found the Parker three-dot optic to be calibrated very closely to my bow's arrow speed at 20, 30 and 40 yards. It also offered a choice of red or green dots, which I found to be a beneficial feature in differing light conditions, and several different brightness levels.

Ed

Larry C. thanked this.
  7. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Excalibur is what I got, like it a lot...check out their website. Recurve design- less chance for problems.

8. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

I have an Excaliber that's never been shot that I would consider selling if anyone is interested. Pm me for the details.
    Ken Rucker...Speedbump Stockworks

9. jrup

jrup Member

I bought a Horton Storm it has the reverse limbs it is a shooter. I killed a nice 10 point 2 weeks ago very accurate.

10. Ryan301

Ryan301 Member

I have had an Excalibur matrix 405 and 400, if I did it again I would get the matrix 380. I would stay away from the matrix micros and all Barnett made bows. My dad just bought a $350 Wicked Ridge that I was very impressed with other than the cheap scope. I would suggest using a crank cocking aid for the consistent repeatability and luminated nocks for hunting.

11. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

At the ATA Archery Trade Association Show in 2015 I took the time to shoot all of the crossbows represented there. Some were somewhat impressive in speed but were quite noisy and had a lot of vibration. The quieter ones were heavy with less vibration. The reverse limb compound crossbows were in my opinion the best thing going as far as being compact, far less recoil and much quieter. They would be easier to carry and would require less room to be able to shoot from. I would suggest getting a model that can be cocked using a cranking device as it will take several shot to sight in and to practice with. The rope will get old fast. Just my opinion. Bill Hom -- Retired archery pro shop owner

12. Hoytshooter

Hoytshooter Active Member Verified Youth Coach/Director

Check out a Scorpyd crossbow one of the nicest quietist shooting bows on the market. Hits like a freight train and will drive tacks at 60 yards literally.

13. Seft02

Seft02 Member

I had a Barnett Quad400 AVI it was deadly accurate but i had to replace the strings every year

14. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Got this buck with my Excalibur this morning 20161111_084437.jpg 20161111_083042.jpg

15. Shane317

Shane317 Member

Shot a mission this week, great package made by Mathews

16. nickjr

nickjr Member

Excalibur all the way. Had mine for a long time no problems. Recurve so nothing to go wrong and simple maintenance. Also accurate as hell

17. stnlss99

stnlss99 Member

I have an Excalibur micro 335. Love it and wouldn't get anything but Excalibur as you can replace the string yourself and less moving parts to go bad. Ten point is great too along with a few others just more moving parts. Stay away from Barnet at all costs.

Dave

18. Bill Hom

Bill Hom TS Supporters TS Supporters

No and not that I know of. google Ten Point reverse limb crossbows, should be able to find all of the info you are looking for. Bill

19. coot shooter

coot shooter Member

I love my Mission 360 (Made by Matthews).

20. Highvoltage

Highvoltage Member

You ever think about trying a compound bow?
    Then you can shoot 3D archery in the summer or any other shoots at clubs

sparky38 thanked this.