1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which chokes for doubles?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UpNorthMN, Apr 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

I just picked up a used XT for doubles and it only came with IM and F chokes. What chokes do most of you use for the first and second shot? I'm thinking of using the IM for the second shot and getting a light mod or modified for the first. Thanks in advance for the advice.

David

2. tomr1

tomr1 Member

I shoot an XT and I use IM for the first shot using 2 3/4 dram, 1oz. of 8's.

2nd shot I use a full choke, 3 dram, 1 1/8oz. of 7.5's.

3. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

shoot what you got, or you could do as you planned. you'll be fine either way, remember only so many pellets when you gain in size, you lose in density.have fun!

4. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

I.M. in bottom barrel with #8s and full in top barrel with 7 1/2s. Woody

5. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

In My XT I use Improved Mod in both barrels. There is not one thing wrong with what you have. I would not change a thing.

6. reed92

reed92 TS Member

I think the chokes you have are perfect.

This is the setup I used with my Citori Plus:
    1st shot: IM, 1oz #8
    2nd shot: F, 1 1/8oz #8

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Do you shoot fast or slow? What distance is the first target when you hit it? Do you track the first target or do you trap it? This information is needed inorder to give you an accurate answer. The answers to your question provided so far are just guesses. HMB

8. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Browning chokes are pretty loose, IM/F should be fine.

9. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Not knowing your technique, it's a shot in the dark. The goal is to never miss a first bird. If you shoot it quick, then you can move to the second bird and shoot it at the same distance as a singles target. For this technique, I would shoot IC/IM. Watch the good doubles shooters. The first bird barely makes it out of the house before it's dead. Bang, bang. Mark

10. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Hard to beat .015 for first and .025 for second. Forget what someone calls the choke it is the ID that counts

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I had a Grade III Citori Trap with Invector chokes that pre-dated the XT. I found that I got better scores with IM and Full than any other combination and as another shooter posted Browning factory chokes are more open than other mfgrs.

12. likemybrownings

likemybrownings Active Member

as recon doc says, he didnt say bottom barrel first target! but yes good combo for what u said
    Dave B

13. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

anything close to mod (.020) bottom (or first) and Lite Full (.030) for the second shot. 5 thou either way is acceptable

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

.008 for the first shot and .023 for the second shot, shoot them fast. HMB

15. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Remember one time being too anxious to get to the line and was about a third of the way through when I realized I hadn't put any chokes in my Citori. Finished up the round with a 36. Ran back to the car between rounds and got my usual 0.015" and 0.030" chokes and put a few extra birds on my second attempt. I've tried to go down to 0.010" for the first shot, but didn't fare as well. Probably just a coincidence. Good luck.

16. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

Use what ever choke-chokes that break the most birds..I've only been shooting for two years and use a LM in a 391 auto, average mid 90's shooting quick.

17. MTLongshot

MTLongshot Member

.010 with 1/18oz of #8.5, at singles speed for first, then .020 with 1 1/8oz of handicap #8 works slicker than a horse hair coach. And that isn't for the fastest shooter out there, just average. if your slower than average adjust with more, if faster then .050 and .015 works perfect.

18. pdq

pdq Member

I agree with the last couple of posts -- i.e. better to talk in numerical values than saying IM v. Mod v. Full, as not all manufacturers are the same. Mod is typically considered .020, but the browning Invector Plus chokes I have the Mod .018.

Like a couple of guys above say, you don't need more than about .015 for the 1st shot as you're typically breaking it close to the house. For the second, .025 to .030 is all you need depending on how quickly you get to the 2nd target.

Some of the really fast doubles shooters (gun sounds like it is on full auto) could probably get away with .010 / .010.

Pete

19. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I've been told that Britt Robinson in his heyday was shooting a cyl/cyl Ljutic double. He even asked Al Ljutic to do something with the chokes, "They were too tight!" He was just too fast for the chokes.

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.