1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

which choke?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lou99, Jun 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lou99

lou99 TS Member

I'm going to take my son shooting for first time. Which chocke should i use for 7/8 ounce from 16 yard line? please help? lou.

2. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

everybody seems to favor full or improved mod. I don't see why it being his first time shooting should be any reason to do anything different. I like IM. Bill in MI

3. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Open it up a little. I prefer a full choke but for kids......there ain't nothin like having a little success. Mod or IM would be my choice for the youngster.

4. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Use the mod. first to build a little confidence and let him have fun. You can always screw it down as he progresses. Make sure his gun fits him too.

5. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

I used a mod, 30" with a step rib on an 1100 this weekend at the Alabama State Shoot and won the Singles D class. Ran 98 before a miss with it too...

Ray

6. Pocatello

Pocatello Active Member

It may be just me, but I think modified with 7/8 oz may be a bit thin. I use modified with one oz in my Beretta, but from the patterns it is a pretty tight modified. I'd suggest IM at least, maybe full.

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

Keep in mind that with a more open choke, the effective pattern size does not get larger. What happens is that there is less shot in the 20 inch core pattern and more shot in the 20-30 inch area of the pattern.

Pat Ireland

8. davidjayuden

davidjayuden Well-Known Member

And does the size of choke effect the size of shot selection?
    dju

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.