1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

which choke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kevin Nelson, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

I just became the owner of a BT99. I am getting the comb cut, but was just wondering which chokes would be good for this gun. I was looking at the Brileys but they have several different ones. Any thoughts and opinions?

2. 548

548 Guest

Muller U4

Leo Harrison III says you can use any choke you like, as long as it's full.

3. SuperXThree

SuperXThree Member

Briley Full if you want cheaper. Muller U4, Pure Gold Full, CNC Full etc if you want to spend more money.

4. 1100 REMINGTON MAN

1100 REMINGTON MAN Active Member

I'm glad Leo says full because my 11-87 has 3 choke tubes marked Trap Full, Trap Extra Full, & Trap Super Full. There suppose to be 65%. 70% & 75% Good Shooting.

5. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

I have never understood the reasoning behind using full chokes. Sure the ink balls look cool, but isnt there more room for error when you dont center it?

6. flashmax

flashmax Well-Known Member

I don't know about anyone else but for me the full choke keeps me from getting lazy and counting on the more open choke to break a target. Don't make errors, no need for the room.

Don T. Littleton CO

7. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

The 11-87 trap has an overbored barrel that is necked down at the muzzle to take specially marked Remchokes.

Super Full Trap (Lead Only) 0.745 / 0.727 0.690 0.055 Constriction

Extra Full Trap (Lead Only) 0.745 / 0.727 0.709 0.036 Constriction

Full Trap (Lead Only) 0.745 / 0.727 0.732 0.018 Constriction

The Full Trap is really a little less than Modified.

Mark

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

9. ercowles

ercowles Member

Muller U3 for 16-yd singles and U4 for caps.

10. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

Briley's chokes are fine. Briley Manufacturing makes Browning chokes and they are customer centered and will provide excellent service. The chrome extended Briley chokes in the constriction of your choice will serve you well. Call them and they will advise you. Martinpicker

11. mich746

mich746 Member

I use a briley IM extended in my BT for singles and 20yd.

I like the extended choke because I use a barrel buddy pad and figure one day I will miss the pad a hit the concrete with the end of the barrel. Easier to deal with a dinged choke than a dinged barrel.

12. Al391brown

Al391brown Member

I shoot a browning xt trap 34 unsingle combo,briley modified extended choke all the way to 27 yards and easily break targets. No ink balls but I can really smash the targets good! No bs. 1250 fps 7 1/2 shot greendot load in an AA hull. You shoot the best choke that works for you. All the big dogs say full and fuller. I disagree,I'm not that good so I need a modified and it works great from 16 to the back fence! When I'm on I'm on when I miss I miss. I shoot handicap at 20 yards but shoot for fun with my buddies from the back fence because its a challenge for me,and most of the old timers I shoot with are 25 to 27 yard shooters. I shot at 16 yards,and when the fellas asked if I wanted to shoot from the 27 for a coke I got nervous and forgot to change my choke to full. The results were very desirable so I haven't changed chokes since that day!

13. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Kevin:

You asked, "Isn't there more room for error when you don't center it?"

The answer to that question is yes. Chokes/guns behave differently but, in general, for an extremely more open choke (.020" less constriction) you will get about 0.8" more "room for error" at 34 yards (the pattern is 1.8" larger diameter, 0.8" larger radius). Click the link for supporting data from Neil Winston, who's done more empirical testing than almost anyone else around.

But you pay a heavy price for that 0.8" which very rarely gets you an extra target.

Virtually every handicap winner and about 90% of singles event winners at any big shoot will be shooting FULL or EXTRA FULL. People can say anything they want, but these are facts. Why do these top shooters choose so much constriction and give up that 0.8"? Here's why: Because a tight choke provides unmatched visual feedback which continuously tells the mind when you are center-punching the target and when you're wavering a bit. This helps you continuously adjust in the right direction. A more open choke does not do that as well and does not build confidence like a FULL.

Some shooters certainly do amazingly well with a more open choke. They are exceedingly rare.

-Gary

14. Kevin Nelson

Kevin Nelson Member

Do the tighter chokes make the shooters better, or is it because the good shooters are just good and can make any choke work? Will a tighter choke make and average shooter a good shooter?

15. Huntin'Fool

Huntin'Fool Well-Known Member

Modified is more then enough for 16 yards. I started shooting light modifies out of my k80 at 16 yards and I brake targets like some that use full. Granted I shoot targets rather quick.

No reason to shoot full until your shooting 25-27 yards

16. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The Briley Full flush tube shot the best in my test when compared to the allegedly magical Teagues, though really they are all about the same. Full is fine. Extra-full is too. IM might suit you for singles.

CNC is good, Carlson is good, Black-something is good as is "Kicks". The late Seminoles were good. Maybe I've forgotten some - there were a passel of them I tested in Optima and I won't say "You can't go wrong" because you can. Some mentioned above did not fair nearly as well in my extensive, careful, and fair tests. What you want is a restriction in the 0.035 range, 0.040 is the same but I like it better. Less is OK for 16's, but not for anything else. That goes for every brand as far as I can tell. There is no magic. Less restriction shoots more open, no matter what the advertising says, again. According to my careful and fair tests, ten shots, 40 yards, Federal Paper 7 1/2's, every pellet counted and data, you won't go wrong if you read and follow what I wrote above. If you don't, you are on your own.

If your BT99 has "Invector" and not "Invector Plus" tubes, they are no good at all. I've never tested Invector plus, but I'm told they are OK.

Good luck with your gun. They are great shooters once you chuck the Invector (not necessarily Invector plus - they may work) chokes into the dustbin and put in ones I gave positive reviews to above.

Good shooters shoot tight chokes because they need to hit them all since the classes they shoot in, and the people they shoot against, require near-perfect or perfect scores to do business at all. And only relatively tight chokes will give you them.

If you are not shooting well at all, a more open choke may give you a target, in theory, at least. But it's still a losing score. Only a pretty tight choke (relative to the distance you shoot) will give every dead target you deserve, almost.

Neil

17. Al391brown

Al391brown Member

Neil and Gary,
    In a non argumentative explanation........
    Explain to me why I was getting the same and even better target breaks than my friend shooting a full choke in his ljutic? I'd really like to know! Was i hitting the targets with my outter pattern? Maybe I should take out my inside micrometer and make sure briley didn't send me a full choke that was marked M on the knurl. Or possibly plastic build up. I think what I'm getting at is everyone has an opinion and maybe my modified shoots like a full? I'd like to think my briley choke just works for me.

18. Avatar

I would say, try out your chokes on a patterning board with the ammo you use the most, and judge for yourself what choke works best. Full is always a good bet, if you have to guess. Personally, at 16 yards, I don't see much difference in my scores between full and modified. The barrel I like the most is an old fixed full and it works just fine.

19. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

Kicks smoke chokes work very good in my Xt combo & browning gold. There are about half a dozen others that are using them in there Brownings at the club I shoot at.

20. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Which ever one you have the most confidence in, because that one will be the choke you shoot the best scores with.