1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which Choke to use?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tomc66, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomc66

tomc66 Member

I just purchased a Beretta 687 with a single top barrel of 34". It came with three choke tubes: Modified, Imp. Modified and full. Which choke should I use from the 16 yard stations?

2. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    You don't say how much trap experience you have. If you are a beginner, start with the mod and move up to the full when you start breaking most of the clays. If you are experienced, perhaps the full is better.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

With my factory Optima chokes, IM gave me the best results for singles and short yardage caps. The F was an excellent performer also. The Mod just plain stunk. Your chokes may work out differently, so give each a try. It won't take too long to figure out which works best for you.

4. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I use the IMOD mobil choke in my 682 top single for both singles and 27 yd HC. In the O/U tube set (doubles) I use IMOD over MOD.

Choke tubes vary in dimension and the marking on the outside may not be a true indicator of pattern performance. Shoot them all and pick the one consistently that gives you lots of smoke.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Put them on paper and see whats best. Wayne

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put them on paper, not so much for the pattern, but, to see if they shoot strait. HMB

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Oh no here we go!!!!!

8. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

Will you be shooting 7 1/2 or 8's?

9. tomc66

tomc66 Member

I shoot #8 shot.

10. brent375hh

brent375hh TS Member

If I want good feedback on my hits, I use a full. If I want to score higher, I use a modified. I am lazy and leave the IM installed. I use 8s.

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Beretta "Mod" is .020"/"Imp Mod" is .030"/"Full" is .040"

I use "Mod" for 16's & 1st shot dbls/"Imp Mod" for hncp (23 yds) & 2nd shot dbls/I never use the "Full"

John C. Saubak

12. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I generally shoot a full for 16 yd. targets. But, I would suggest an improved modified or light full (slightly more pattern), I have these tube and use them on occasion. If they were to be switched out without me knowing it I wouldn't know the difference. I'm shooting #8's most of the time for 16 yd. targets.

13. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Put the full in and hide the rest of em in the dresser drawer. Shoot the full for two years. By then you will be able to hit with it and ya can't remember where you put the other ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.