1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Which choke brand to buy

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Krieghoff100, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krieghoff100

Krieghoff100 Member

I am in the market for some new chokes for my Krieghoff. I'd like to get some input on best brand to buy. I have Krieghoff standard cokes now, but not in the constrictions I want. Are the Briley's superior to Krieghoffs? Which Briley version is best - Spectrum, Helix, Titanium. (looking for full and extra full)? Is there another brand that should be considered?
  2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

I really like the Briley titanium chokes.
  3. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I have used Wrights and Trulock. Both have performed well.
  4. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Wright's ARE GREAT Choke Tube's And Ms.Molly is 100 times "Nicer" than the $urds at Briley. Joe joe90t
  5. MDMike

MDMike TS Member

Well, I'm a fan of Seminole if they ever get back into operation again. I've got an order for several.
  6. glenns

glenns Member

See the June 2012 issue of Gun Tests magazine, page 23. They tested and rated chokes: Briley, Browning Invector plus, Browning Diana, Muller, Colonial Arms,
    Trulock and Browning Invector DS.

Muller Extended Choke Tubes A+

Trulock Extended Choke Tubes A

Browning Diana Grade Ext Tubes A-

Briley Extended Choke Tubes B

Colonial C

They concluded that you get what you pay for.
  7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Trulock, Carlson, Wright. All excellent chokes...

Read Neil Winstons in depth testing ....
  8. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

I vote for the Mullers.... the U3 and U4 are my go to chokes at 16 and 27.
  9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

I gave my Wrights tube back to Wright.

The gun wouldn't fit in the case with the tube in the barrel.

Brileys work better for me anyway... lots better.

Keller
  10. Cyrus

Cyrus Member

Take a look at TEAGUE Chokes. I have Krieghoff (all types) Briley (Standards and Thin Walls). Both brands are fine products. Wrights suck (extendeds come loose all the time and I don,t like the quality or design of the product. My wife had them for her Perazzi, and I would not let her even use them. IF you buy them you will learn the hard way. They will tell you if they come loose "use teflon tape on the treads" think about it ). Have been using the Teagues with zero problems. They are made in U.K. but I get them from a very nice Company in Middletown N.Y. Just Google Teague Chokes.JMO, hope it helps.
  11. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

This is going to cause problems, but here is my advise. Buy a fixed full (.030-.034) choke barrel. Sell your choked barrel. Use the difference in money to practice, so choke does not matter in your mind, and in results. JMHO.
  12. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Active Member

STI:

I agree! It's fixed chokes for me.
  13. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

I have several Wright tubes and am very satisfied with them. Fast shipping and helpful people. I will say this, in all my years of shooting I can miss targets just as well with choke tubes or fixed.

Mike Adcock
  14. ABH

ABH Member

Another vote for fixed chokes.

ART H.
  15. Johnny

Johnny Active Member

There is no "best" , they are like fishing lures. Some like shiny, some like colors, some like extended, flush, etc.
  16. goose2

goose2 Active Member

I use the best kept secret in chokes and they are Kicks (smoke) chokes. Used them on two different Kolars and my k 80 and they are great.
    I would stay away from Mullers as they are way to long to fit in your gun case if there in a 34" barrel. Have to remove them to use the case
  17. Krieghoff100

Krieghoff100 Member

Thanks for all the feedback. I loved my fixed choke Perazzi and want to find the best tube to leave in my mobile choked Krieghoff KX6
  18. Unknown1

Unknown1 Active Member

When I noticed a difference in patterns (density and uniformity mostly) among the several brands of chokee I have I looked for differences. The IDs were the same but there were differences in the length of the parallel sections and consequently differences in the convergence angles.

My Chris Vendel chokes had the longest parallels at 1.25", Carlsons use 1.10", Trulock and AnglePort uses 1" and Briley uses 3/4".

My gun and reloads perform best with the shortest parallel section.

Keller
  19. crewswalden

crewswalden TS Member

I have three Wright's Competition extended chokes for Krieghoff I would sell if you are interested. #5, #6 and #7. Constrictions are .02, .024 and .028. I believe these would cover your trap needs completely, from the #5 (.02 constriction) for singles, to the #7 (.028) for the back fence. Very lightly used, no dings or anything. These retail for $65 each from Wrights. I would sell the three for $100 shipped. If you or anyone is interested let me know. I don't have any photographs to send now, but could certainly take some and forward.

Crews Walden
  20. SouthMetro Shooter

SouthMetro Shooter TS Member

Muller #4 is my trap choke. Smokes em everytime
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.