1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which cheap o/u for the duck blind?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Hooked, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hooked

Hooked Member

Hi everyone,

My regular duck/goose gun is a left hand SBEII [edit Benelli Super Black Eagle II], but for fun this year, I thought I'd pick up one of those cheap o/u (like $500 - $800) to shoot once in a while.

Having a look around, there seems to be no shortage of guns in this price range: Stoeger, Mossberg, CZ, even Remington have models that are all relatively inexpensive.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask here to see if anyone has experience with any of these low dollar guns, and if any of the cheap brands might be better than the other. I realize that you get what you pay for, but regardless of how much I spend, I still want a gun that is safe to shoot steel out of, has decent patterns and shoots straight.

I've looked for some older, used, better quality guns like Brownings and Berettas, but haven't found any as yet.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Brian

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Brian, The best advise I can give you is to stay away from the cheap O/U's you have talked about. Do buy a older fixed choke Browning or Beretta. Even a SKB is good. There are some on this thread right now if you look hard I'm sure. What is your SBEll. I guess your left handed but you can still get a Rem. 870 or 1100 in left hand and both will work for years to come. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

3. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Maybe John Kerry has his trusty double barrel deer gun for sale.

4. birdognorth

birdognorth TS Member

My experience with low price O/Us is watching them leave the line broken.
    An O/U is a real pain to use in a duck blind.

5. mrrem3200

mrrem3200 Member

I agree with above comments except the Lanber, Spanish made gun, it’s a tank. They can be had new for about $700 with screw in chokes, I have one in 20ga and another in 12ga. Do a search, you'll read nothing but good comments I'm sure.

6. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Look for a used Beretta 686 Waterfolwer. 3 1/2 inch chamber for the bravest of brave - but a super nice, matte finish gun.

Joe

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I thought the same thing about trouble using an O/U in a blind or boat-- but I hunt with a couple of guys that do- and they work- easy to load and unload- and shorter than an auto

I would say look for a beat up browing ( because any gun you get will end up beat up) --

Or get a new cynergy synthetic (sporting clays - black or camo duck gun- I would go with the sporting clays)

If you buy a gun with a 2 3/4 inch chamber- have a gunsmith lengthen it to 3.5 -- ( yes that should be safe -- all you are trying to do is make the chamber long enough and the pressures you are working with are low enough)

I wont tell you it is safe but I will tell you I have done that myself to about 20 guns

regards from Iowa

Gene

8. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

If anyone (that refers' to themsleves as a duck hunter) uses anything bigger than 2-3/4" shells are not much.

Curt

9. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

Hooked,
    Being one that shoots a CHEAP over/under, because I use mine in the woods and blinds, I chose the Stevens. I also shoot sporting clays with the gun and have had no problem with it as of yet (3500 rounds this summer and fall). Out of 8 of us on the team 2 shoot Stevens, 2 shoot Stoegers, 1 auto Remington, 2 pump Remingtons and 1 Mossberg 500. The Stevens I chose, because of the screw in choke tubes. They use Bereta & Bennelli tubes and seem to throw good patterns, (using tubes from Carlson for steel and lead). The Stoegers my friends shoot are the new ones (one with tubes and one without) and have shot about the same amount of rounds 3500 with no problems, BUT I was told the firing pins are weak if shooting clays. If you are just hunting they are fine. The old Stoegers my friends have probably have around 15,000 to 20,000 rounds through them with no problem. Mossbergs I also own. They are pumps 20, 12 and 12 auto, no problems with them, just a rattling forearm which they all have. I GET TEASED about that all the time deer hunting, but I bag alot of deer with them. So as for CHEAP, its what a person can afford and shoot well with. I have tried $2000 to $5000 over and unders at our club and don't shoot sporting clays any better with them than my $450 Stevens. Tom

10. magic

magic Member

How about this one?? LOL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

You painted a K80 and put a K32 trigger in it?

I actually hunt with a non painted K80 with a K32 trigger in it- mine is a lightweight K80 receiver- mine has an oil finished K32 stock

Nice paint job- who did that?

Gene

12. Hooked

Hooked Member

Magic,

That's a great looking gun. I was at a combined clay and live bird (pheasant) shoot last year in Alberta, and because I flew there, I didn't want to pack 2 guns so I decided to take only my K80 sporter. I got quite a few looks (and head shakes) on the 2nd day when I took that gun into the field. But I would have to draw the line at taking mine into the duck blind.

Gene, if I could find a light weight receiver I would love to build an upland gun out of it.

To everyone else, thanks for your comments and input. As I mentioned, this would be just a fun gun - a change up of what I normally would shoot. I did look at those Brownings that came with the Duratouch and camo finish a couple of years ago when they came out, but I couldn't justify a couple grand for what would be purely a fun gun. My SBEII works great and has never let me down so there is no need to change, but since when has NEED been a deciding factor.

Best regards,

Brian

13. magic

magic Member

Sorry to Hijack your thread....it is fun to see others reactions to my camo gun. I put this gun together about 7 years ago from an old Model 32 barrel and a K80 receiver that needed renickeled. Gene, yes I have k32 triggers in both my hunting K80s as they feel better with a gloved hand. The gun is camo dipped in mossy oak shadow grass by Dura-Coat in Columbus, GA. The gun was featured in a Nick Sissly article in Skeet Shooting Review many years back.

JASON SHEEHY

14. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Break action guns are a bad idea in a blind. Stick to your autoloader. Also cheap + O/U = dissapointment. Why do people think they need good stuff for playing target games but cheap crap is oaky in the field?

15. romie

romie Active Member

I have a Franchie three inch with pretty nice looking wood I have hardely shot $875. Good looking gun. take off the xxxx if E-mailing
    Monty McGee
    662 335 2323wk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.