1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

WHICH CAMERA?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by blkcloud, Dec 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

We dont take a lot of pictures buy my wife has hinted she would like a "nice" digital camera.. our wal mart has 3 to pick from that you change out the lens they are
    Nikon d3000 dslr camera kit $499.00
    Sony a230 dslr camera kit $399.00
    Cannon eos rebel xs dslr camera kit $499.00
    thanks!

2. Jamnss

Jamnss TS Member

My wife got me the rebel kit for early Christmas present. So far it is great. Daughter has a NIKON D 6000. Like it also but it cost more. Jeff Ryals

3. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

I was told that more professionals use Nikon. I have a Cannon and it gives fantastic pictures. For the money, I went with Cannon, can't go wrong with either one. Depends how serious she wants to get in photography. You can get Cannon a lot cheaper.
    Steve Balistreri

4. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

You can't go wrong with either the Canon or the Nikon as both have their traits. Use the website above to read the reviews, it might give you a better idea which way to go.

Bryan

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I went with Cannon, but Nikons are a fine choice too. I already had some Cannon lenses and accessories, so that's why I bought one. Look for a deal on an accessory lens at the time of purchase. You could save a few hundred bucks of you buy them together. There are some pretty sophisticated point and shoots out there as well. Canon has the edge on price vs features. The Panasonic/Lumix super zooms are also good. Do a little research and see which one fits your budget and needs. A DSLR is NOT a pocket camera. A smaller Cannon point and shoot can be found with many advanced features for less money and in a compact package.

6. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

You have to be careful when you buy a camera "kit." Some retailers will sell you a nice body (and Canon and Nikon are both fine, Sony I don't know) but then pair it up with an off-brand lens Since the lens is what cameras are all about, it's a bad, bad deal for the buyer. Do not, I repeat, do not buy something like that.

Wherever you buy it, check to be sure the lens is a USA (that means, probably, not counterfeit) boxed optic with the same name as the body. That means no Tamron, no Sigma, nothing but USA Canon or Nikon.

I think that whichever has auto-sensor cleaning should be your choice, though I must say that in my opinion, Nikon does as far, far better job of implementing "Automatic white balance" with indoor lighting than Canon does. I don't think Canon has any idea what they are doing in that regard.

And yes, I have them both.

Neil

7. Dr A C Jones

Dr A C Jones Member

A good optical image stabilisation system - it will catch more pictures that otherwise would have been lost than pretty much any other feature.

On an SLR, if you want to get creative, I'd say make sure the basic controls (shutter, aperature, exposure etc) are all easily accessible and not buried under menus. A while back the mid-range SLRs used to cost more than the cheap SLRs, because (at least in part) they had more mechanical controls. I notice the latest high-end and mid-range SLRs seem to have gone away from this principle - a mistake in my view.

Andrew.

8. Shoemaker

Shoemaker Member

I have the Canon SX20 which Wal-mart carried. This Camera is kind of an in between model. It is low end for a true camera buff, but kind of over the top for the novice that wants just a point and shoot. Wal-mart has replaced this camera with a newer model and several store locally have put the SX20 under the display getting ready to clearance it. If you can find one of these (Reg $399) you might be able to pick it up for $299 as I did. This camera is easy to operate, has lots of features and takes great pictures. I also have a Canon D30 a higher end camera and perfer the SX20 for everyday shooting. When on vacation we took about 75% of our pictures with the SX20 as opposed to the D30.

9. trinketshooter

trinketshooter TS Member

All of the cameras that you are looking are quality products and you would probably not regret purchasing any of them. Before digital came out I used Nikon only. Now that the digital cameras have become so reasonable to purchase and easy to use my wife and I both have Canon cameras. The picture quality is great and Canon software is very easy to use. Whatever you choose, I hope that you get alot of enjoyment out of it. Happy holidays! Neil Swenson

10. threedeuces

threedeuces TS Member

Both Nikon and Canon are as good as it gets. I chose Canon and some of the pictures I have taking of my sons high school baseball were breath taking to say the least. I chose Canon only because at the time it was a better deal.

11. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

FWIW (I don't claim to be an expert), I recently bought myself a Canon EOS Rebel XS with EF-S 18-55mm IS kit at WalMart plus an EF-S 55-250mm lens. Both lenses have image stabilization and autofocus. $500 for the camera and lens kit and another $300 for the extra telephoto zoom lens. I really like it!

John C. Saubak

12. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I buy Kodak (two) and I just bought a digital pocket video camera, and they take perfect pictures. They download into the computer with a touch of a button, and with their software, which comes with the camera one touch will send them anywhere. Buy American...

13. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Thanks guys, beleive it or not... I had a guy that worked for me last year who bought a Nikon that cost 7 THOUSAND DOLLARS....

14. Baber

Baber TS Member

Nikon first .... Canon second and don't bother with the Sony.

TB

15. whiz630

whiz630 TS Member

in the past i own a nikon film camera that cost thousands of dollors,now i can't sell for any price,so i went for a digital camera. i always wanted a laica camera but couldn't afford the price and i didn't want to carry all the lenses around on vacation,so by reading many articles i found that laica contracted with panasonic to build a great camera, instead of buying many long range lenses,the new panasonic single lens go from 25 to 600mm with a giro stabilizer so you don't have to use a trypod.. the pixal count is 14 and screen is about 3" by 4" look it up on google for all the specs. the new camera is the fz40 for abt $350.00. my wife wanted a very small camera to put in her bocket book so i purchased a nikon 3000,takes good pictures but every thing else is crap,you don't even get a inst.manual it is 85 pages and must be brought up on the computer,ill stay with my panasonic. good luck

16. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Go with Nikon and you will not be sorry. They are sound camera's and will do more then you want them to do.

17. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Are any of the three NOT made in China?

18. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I just finished a basic camera class. I would estimate around 65% was Canon's, 25% were Nikons and 10% were various brands.

This shop sold several brands but it seemed geared towards the Canon's. They did not try to sell anybody cameras and they were not "pushy" in any way.

19. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Allegedly, Canon is a better choice simply because Canon has been in the digital game longer and the stuff is around. I have and use Nikon digital SLR simply because I had Nikon non-auto lenses around from the "old days" of film cameras.

Both do the job and do it well. Lately, I've used a point and shoot digital Pansonic with the Leica lens. Talk about a great job, but I do miss the aperture to look through. But...what beautiful and sharp pictures for $300.00 and talk about convenience! The Lumix/Leica combo by Panasonic is hard to beat if an slr is not a requirement.

20. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I bought my wife an EOS Rebel about three years ago. She sues it all the time for home photos plus her real estate work. Very decent camera for the money.

As pointed out above, make sure the lens is made by Canon. The standard lens is an 18-55mm. An upgrade option is the 18-55mm with Image Stabilizer. This helps prevent blurred or fuzzy photos in dim light, though it cannot solve all unwanted movement issues. My suggestion is if the package does not have the 18-55 IS lens, and you're not on a tight budget, buy the body only and get this lens separate. The IS feature is especially nice on the longer lenses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.