1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

which caliber to sell; 7mm Rem or .25-06?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 25deadbirds, Nov 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 25deadbirds

25deadbirds TS Member

Gentlemen, I have two custom Remington 700's that I want to sell one of. What I am unsure of, is which of the two calibers are more desirable from a selling standpoint; 7mm Remington Mag or .25-06? I like them both for different reasons but can only afford to keep one.

It's apples and oranges in regards to calibers, I know. I'm not looking for what caliber is better, just more popular.

Thanks for any input!

Regards,

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

7 MM Remington mag is more available ammunition wise and more well known-- my guess is the market is much larger

I own both

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. dverna

dverna Active Member

7mm Mag. Much more versatile.

Don Verna

4. 25deadbirds

25deadbirds TS Member

OK. 7mm mag is going up for sale. I'll post it tomorrow. It's quite a nice custom 700 w/ a stainless barrel from an XCR with the TryNyte finish.

5. bodybuilder

bodybuilder TS Member

I vote 25-06 10-1 only need a 7mag if your hunting Elk or bears

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If you look at it the other way, (which one do I want to keep) I would think of the purpose of the one retained.

Belted mag ammo usually costs more, 25-06 is easy to make from 30-06 and there is lots of that around.

25-06 has more choice in bullets and can use a lighter (faster) bullet for smaller game.

7 Mag is more useful for larger animals, and more downrange energy.

I would keep the 7 mag along side my 22-250.

HM

7. GI

GI Member

Very interested in your 7mm. Please send info.
    Thanks,
    George

8. Scotty585

Scotty585 Member

Up for a nice rifle. Ive got the 700 XCR in .30-06

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

My outlook differs. I would want to keep the .25-06 as it is a more useful caliber for the "average" hunter but it might bring more money on the used rifle market. Visit sites like GunsAmerica.com and GunBroker.com - you'll see so many 7mm Rem Mags for sale that you'll start thinking they outnumber the .30-06s! But search for Model 700s in .25-06 and you won't get a full page. There actually are so many 7mmRMs for sale that they aren't bringing good money.

And I can see why. Back in the mid-1970s, when I was young and dumb(er), I bought my first "deer rifle." I studied the ballistics charts and read countless magazine articles, all of which told me I wanted either a .270 or a 7mmRM. I found a new Model 70 in 7mmRM on sale and bought it. I never was able to experience that "manageble" recoil that I read about. I wanted to shoot my new rifle a lot but it just wasn't fun. Then I learned the hard way how short belted brass reloading life is. When one of my technicians was going "out west" on a hunt and needed a reach-out-and-touch-'em rifle, he became the proud owner.

Today, I own rifles chambered for such ugly calibers as 300SAUM, 300RUM and .338RUM. They have a purpose but being shot frequently or for fun ain't it. For that, I have several other rifles and my favorites are my .25-06s. It's a caliber that will handle deer-sized game with ease and one that you can enjoy learning to shoot well.

Ed

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ed and I see things very similar in the matter. I'd keep the .25-06 and peddle the 7mmRM as fast as I could. I've owned both and the .25 is the only one still taking up space in my safe.

Now, if that 7mmRM was a .280R and recut to Ackley dimensions that would be another story altogether.

ss

11. mx2005

mx2005 TS Member

25 Keep the 25-06 it is one of the flatest calibers you can own. I like that bullet keep it . PK

12. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Shucker, we agree more than you would think! A year ago, I had McGowen Precision Barrels blueprint an engraved Model 700 receiver with a detachable magazine and fabricate and install a 25" stainless fluted sporter-weight .280AI barrel on it. I simply set the barreled action in a new Remington black/gray laminated BDL/DM stock and after seasoning the barrel, tried these four handloads in it. I figured I wasn't going to be able to do much better than load #2, so I quit there.

I'm having trouble getting my head around how soft a .280AI shoots when they so nearly deliver the ballistics of a 7mmRM.

Just last night, I bought an engraved BDL in .25-06 on GB. I'm pondering on having it rechambered in .25-06AI - whatcha think?

Ed

13. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Ed the temptation just might be too great not too!

I'd also look into that load in pic 4 a little closer. To have 3 shots group so well and have a flyer like that, well? I've seen reloads work like that before, but I've also witnessed it to be a bad bullet, seating, length, etc...

I was taught a while back to pursue any reload that shows promise.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that is caught up in all the mag/ultramag hype that is generated these days. It's awefully hard to re-invent the wheel. As I've stated before, like you, I also like the .260. It is a gem of a round.

ss

14. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Sell them both and buy the one you really want?

15. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

how much for the 25-06? 4andy10

16. TRAINWRECK

TRAINWRECK TS Member

Price and pics please on the 7mm rem mag, send me a PM when you can with the gun spec

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.