Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Which BT Should I Get?

3K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  rodbuster 
#1 ·
I am looking at picking up a BT but I am having trouble trying to decide which to get. The nickel finished ones look great but I have heard some negative comments about the newer BT's and I am not sure how the nickel finish will wear and if it can be refinished if needed. I have also looked at the BT 100, BT 99 stainless. Thoughts? (I do have another gun for doubles)

#2 ·
Well for my opinion, I have had several BT-99's but none of the newer ones, 6 all I believe. I presently have a BT100 Stainless and most recently had a BT99Plus. The 99Plus was nice, fit and shot well, but needed some work and I wanted to thin my collection.

The 100 has a removable trigger and is adjustable for both length of pull (about 1/2 inch) and poundage. A release spur added on later by a very good gunsmith. The trigger is jeweled on the sides and does not look like any other SBT trigger group out there. The trigger has a feature on it which allows the extractor to be adjusted to either lift or toss the empty shell from the chamber. Neat feature for reloaders like myself.

I know several other people who have BT100's and are very happy with them. They seem to hold their value better than the standard 99 and the owner's only regret is they cannot buy new ones to replace their old ones. Again, in my opinion, this was the best BT ever made and worth the money.

#3 ·
I started out with a BT100 and is a great gun. I shot it last weekend for the first time in 5 years and still love it. I went to a Perazzi MX2000 and sent it out to get reblued and its annual and not back but wanted to shoot. The 100 does hold its value well and I like the removable trigger, mine was ported, removable chokes. Just a nice gun.

#4 ·
There is an ad for a new for 2010 BT 99 AR (Moore's?). I know the previous model that they had along with Sportsman Den in Shelby, Ohio had some forend issues. The AR is nice looking and I like the adj POI feature. I was in the same market last spring and bought a very nice used BT 100. It has served me well.
Doug Allison

#5 ·
There is nothing wrong with the new ones. I have had several and they were all decent guns. I have never seen a regular BT99 in stainless. I have seen BT99+ guns in stainless. The new nickel plated ones are durable and they can be recoated if necessary. Mahovskys and several people that post on here can do a plating job for you if you want. Just search plating. BT100's were made in two configurations, and three different points of impact. There were also BT99max's made. They were essentially BT100's without the drop out trigger. They are all good guns and they will last a lifetime if properly treated. The three I have now are two 1972's and a 1991 BT+. That is about all I know about them except that I shoot them better than any trap gun I have ever had and I have had a bunch of high dollar guns. They are all gone and I still have my Brownings.

#7 ·
I had a 79 BT-99 in fixed IM Choke and loved it. I sold it recently because I wanted a screw in choke model. I ended up with a BT-99 GC ( see deal of century post) You really cant go wrong with any. I really like the adj comb because you can really fit the gun better than the standard. The nickle plated ones are nice and I might pick one up in the future for bad weather shooting. Either way enjoy the BT it is a great gun.

#8 ·
I had a Bt-99 Stainless that I bought from Jaquas in '94 (I think). It was a great gun, but it shot flat, and I didn't care for the factory porting. I have the Grey Laminate Nickel, which is my singles gun. It's a very durable finish, and I have not had any problems in over two years. The receiver on this gun looks like the stainless, and the barrel has a matte nickel finish. The rib is also nickel, were as on the stainless it was black. This gun shoots 8" high at 35 yards which I like a lot. PM me if you want some more info. Wayne

#10 ·
I have a BT100, and enjoy shooting it. I had a BT99 plus, and it had so many adjustments on it, that I just couldn't get it set to where I wanted. It seemed like there was always something to fiddle with. I wound up selling the BT99 plus, and kept the BT100. I don't even have an adjustable comb on the BT100, it just seems to fit the way it is. I did however put a Morgan adjustable pad on the 100, and it seemed to get my head up higher.

Maybe the best thing to do would be to shoot the models that you are interested in, and then decide from there. Good luck in your search.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.