1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Which big shoot in Tucson?????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gyrine, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

As someone who has only been shooting 4 months I am thinking about checking out a big shoot. I notice that there is a big one in Tucson in the middle of January and a really big one in the middle of February. I would appreciate any advise about which one I should consider attending also any "been there, done that" sort of info about lodging and the like. One of the attractions to me is seeing the vendors, getting a chance to pick up some stuff that has been hard for me to get in a rural area. Thanks, gyrine

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

There will be more vendors in February. I used to stay at a nearby Super 8 but there sometimes is a gem show going on so get reservations.

HM

3. DJSims

DJSims Member

No doubt the Spring Grand in February will have the best attraction for vendors, shooting, etc.

For a new shooter, consider the Arizona State Shoot in Tucson starting March 31, 2009, and finishing on Sunday April 5. There will be 1600 registered targets, with many days having 300 targets available. If you are not a doubles shooter yet, there are still lots of singles and handicap.

The program will be on the ASTA website (link above) soon, and the weather will be even better than February (maybe!).

In fact, everyone is welcome to come and enjoy lots of targets! See the pre-squadding at presquad.com.

Doug Sims

4. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

New Shooter?? As someone whom attended, from a LONG (cold) ways away both the Spring Grand AND the Az State Shoot, I would recommend the latter.....warmer weather for the State Shoot, and a smaller crowd. Both were a great time however....FC

5. DJSims

DJSims Member

I keep a pretty close eye on the pre-squadding, and do not open lots of squads until there is a need. I try to prevent a bunch of short squads.

Tucson has had as many as 750 shooters for the Spring Grand in the larger events, and right now there are just under 600 signed up. There is room for quite a few more shooters!

Doug Sims

6. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

My main objective is just to shoot a bunch of registered targets. I won't be able hang around for the whole program and I don't have a clue about the pre squading process. gyrine

7. Doug Sims

Doug Sims TS Member

As a single shooter, I can with confidence tell you that just showing up to shoot will very likely get you a spot to shoot!

You may be early or late, but nearly always someone is unable to attend, feels ill, etc. Pick a time that works for you, and come to Tucson. We also have the Casa Grande club that is 70 miles north of Tucson, Garden Canyon Trap Club is 70 miles SE of Tucson, and Double Adobe is a little further SE of Garden Canyon.

Ben Avery has installed good facilities, and will be gaining experience at registered events. They just had a weekend of Trapshooting this last weekend, and from the talk on TS.com, were very sucessful!

Doug Sims

8. d endicott

d endicott Member

Doug is there any dry camping available?

9. DJSims

DJSims Member

There has been dry camping for all shoots.

You may try to call the club and talk to Connie about a parking space. We do have a Spring Grand waiting list, but the other shoots will have parking spaces for the motorhomes and trailers.

520-883-6426 -- Tucson Trap and Skeet Club

Doug Sims

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.